3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

$1,000

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
$1,000

Bout to spend some $$$. Don't forget that I ain't got deep pockets. I want to mod smartly, the next thing I want to buy is a lift pump. I've been looking at the Walbro l/p from glacier diesel, the GFS-392 model. Here is what I am about to buy, tell me if I do not need this stuff.

GFS-392 Performance System $399.00
'03-'07 GDP Big Line Kit $ 69.00
3/8" Fleetguard Inline Strainer $ 12.99
Fuel Tank Vent Kit $ 49.00 (coulda swore I seen a cheap way to do this somewhere on the DTR...)
Shipping $ 25.31
Grand total... 555.30

Leaving me with 444.69. I'm thinking about the edge juice w/attitude, or maybe a TST, as many of my fellow DTR'rs have suggested. I see a lot of edges on sale in the classifieds, but not TST's. (leading me to believe that no one wants to part with a TST.) This is a slowly but surely process, one thing at a time. I was planning spending the extra bucks on buying the edge or TST new for the support/warranty from the company, unless they support used sales, (which I doubt).

Bottom line, I think that a fuel pump/lift pump is my next choice for mods. (so far, air, exhaust, boost fooler, gauges) I want to eventually bomb the crap out of the truck, but realistically, I am probably going for moderate power, so I do not tear my truck up. (gotta wife, 3 kids and a cat to support. No dog, since someone stole it) I want to have the supporting mods before I put power to the truck.

Any advice or life experiences would help, and be appreciated.

I want some stacks, too. 5" miter cut. (heck, I want it all!!!)

Thanks for reading, please comment/offer advice.

madhat
Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skynard just bought a kit like this but it was cheaper. here is part of his post.
i just bought the walbro pump and big line/draw straw kit for the tank to the CP3 for 379.00 shipped to me and they sent it out saturday and just got it today with mondya being a holiday. i'm installing it this weekend. i can't wait.
He got it directly from Vulcan. We're gonna put it on this weekend.
PM me if need more info or PM Skynard.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey mad hat i just bought the whole kit draw straw, gfs 392 adjustable lift pump with the big line kit (tank to fuel filter and fuel filter to cp3 witht eh taped elbow for the pressure reading), fuel line vent kit, and 20 mircon fuel filter of 379.00 shipped to me and they got it out the door quick. PM me sometime and i'll give you the number of the guy that i called at vulcan.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned

Take care of the Lift Pump first, then you have no worries when you start adding HP/TQ, safe insurance. The TST is unbelievable, but it is a pretty $$$$$ also. You may want to think about the TS MP8 now, and then when you can cough up the coin, go with the TST. OR, hold on a little bit longer and just save for the TST. I have run numerous boxes on my Powerstroke's and now my CTD, and the TST (in my opinion has them beat hands down.)
Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 AM
wap

I dont know what trans you have (either way 4-500 bucks wont do it yet) but you could just put the xtra $ up for now to save it for trans mods. Whether it is a built auto or a DD clutch if you have a manual.

The tst is a great choice but like SS said I think gettin the mp8 or a Dr performance pressure box now could be a better idea. Prolly not enought power to mess anything up and you can get a used mp8 or 250-300 bucks and your trans/clutch should survive that kind of power too.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would install the Walbro 2 micron filtration kit.

MikeyB
Old 01-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Thanks, all for the replies. SS, the MP8 is just a fueling box, right? Still learning that stuff. What exactly does it do?

Wap, I have the 4speed auto, (NV??) I was planning to drop some bread on a totally rebuilt tranny from one of the shops, mentioned on the site all the time. I talked to bigblue, he let me know that I would easily drop 4k for a good slushbox. Wondering if it was worth it to do the TC and VB, or just save up and go for broke with the whole thing. No use wasting time talking about it now, only got $1K, remember?

Mikey, could I get a link for that?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:07 AM
wap

Your auto is a 48re.

the mp8 is baiscally just a pressure box and your stock tranny should be ok with it.

But after this 1k is spent I would just save until I could do the whole enchilada and get a fully built trans.

JMO
Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GDP link for filtration.
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=08-001

MikeyB
Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by madhat
SS, the MP8 is just a fueling box, right? Still learning that stuff. What exactly does it do?

Yes, the MP8 is a pressure box. I was thinking of selling my BDPP (timing box) to get the MP8 for my stack with my TST. After doing research, the TST stacked with the MP8 seems like a combo that is hard to beat.

Now, my BDPP stacked with my TST is making CRAZY power, and seems to be doing the job just fine, still tuning on it, and once I get it dialed in.... Turbo next than injectors (oh yeah, the clutch is coming before anyhting so I have reached the limit on that very easily )

Here are some of my comment's after I got the R49AP installed to give you an idea, and I do NOT exagerate:

1)UH, this thing makes CRAZY STUPID power. I can see a turbo or injectors or the like making this kind of power, but this box???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? I can not go over 2/3 (my BDPP is still on the 130 setting) with out killing the clutch. On 1/2 and 2/2 the clutch will hold, and blows the tires off going into 3rd. All I have done is put the boost at 39PSI, put the Rail Pressure on Level 1, took some timing out (the auto default is 12 degrees) and I put the timing at 9. I just got back from the grocery store, and tried 3/4 and it kills the clutch. Tomorrow, I am going to put BDPP on the Tow (50HP) setting, and play with the TST some more. Oh my goodness, this thing is unreal. I should have ponied up the extra $$$$$$ inthe first place.

2)Anyone need a vote or have an idea on what they need to spend there money on, the TST get's my vote. This thing is the coolest thing since I do not know what, but it's freaking cool

3)That was what I was thinking as well. That was why I was going to back down the BDPP to "Tow" mode, and give her a go from there. And yes, I got the new R49AP with all of the bells and whistles, this thing ROCKS. I can not say enough about it, and I KNOW that I am not anywhere near getting it tuned in. Boy oh boy, just when I thought Christmas had already come....HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEHEH

4)Now, my BDPP was on the 130 setting last night, and running TST on anything over 1/2 or 2/2 would slip the clutch.

5)Today, I downloaded BDPP back to stock, and have been playing with TST, and got her to 5/7, and is just slipping there. I have also added some timing, now at 15 degree's, Rail Pressure is on Level 1, boost set limit is still at 39PSI. Right now on 5/7 will spike at 38-39, then level off @ 35-36PSI.

6)When I say 4/5 I am saying the Torque first, HP second. So, I was 5/4 today (5 HP 4 TE) on the Standard Program, and then I went and ran it on TT03 Program . That in itself, just swapping Programs was CRAZY in the difference. I kept everything else the same (5/4, rail pressure, etc...) and boy I got some SMOKE, and then she started moving, and THEN the clutch started to slip. Boy this is fun!!!

So, really the TST R49AP, with ALL of the adjustability is just tough to beat.
You can control:
1)Power and Torque Enhancement, in other words, if you want torque down low, and no top end, you can do it. And if you do not want torque down low, and all top end power, you can do it.

2)You want fuel economy on long trips, you can cut the Rail Pressure half of stock, which reduces smoke, and cuts power in half for those long trips

3)You have different power programs (Late tt05, tt03, Economy, and Standard) to adjust to what you want for when you want fueling to come into play

4)Set boost limit's for stock turbo, or take off the boost limit when you upgrade to a bigger turbo or Twins

5)Cool down period, you can set an EGT or a time limit, so when you shut your truck down, you can pull the key out, and it will stay running until the limits are reached

6)Rail Pressure gauge and adjustment. You want more Rail Pressure? Turn it up!!! You want to see how much rail pressure you have?? Gauge there to tell you.

7)Adjustable Timing Advance. You can control the timing at lower and higher RPM's. Want more timing down low, and take some out up top, or vice versa? You can do that as well. You want to set it on Auto mode, and let the TST do it? Yep, will take care of that as well. Do not want any timing thrown at it? Again, you can do that.

8)Does it sound like I am a TST rep? Probaly so, but I am not. I am just a customer that is VERY happy with this, R49AP.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 AM

i know it is just $69, but I don't think the big line is as necessary on our 3rd gens as they were on the 2nd gens. I may be wrong. I have the GFS-392 and a couple of others I know do also, and the only big lines we installed were the ones that came with the 392 kit.

Now you need to ask yourself what kind of power range are you wanting to get into. You said bomb the heck out of it, so if you plan on going over 500 or so HP, then mybe the big line would not be a bad idea. There are plenty of guys on here with stock lift pumps over 400 HP, so just by adding the Walbro, you have already greatly increased the capacity of your fuel system. Now with that being said, best way to really tell what you actually NEED when it comes to fuel, is browse the performance/competition forum for someone with the HP already that you plan to get to some day, adn contact them and ask them what their fueling was like before upgrading(or they may still be stock).

Sorry for being so long winded.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Really... for final power, I need to be realistic. I want to get more go, but not have to worry about destroying my truck. I want to go big power, but I want the supporting mods for it. So, easy does it for now. Maybe one day I will go over 500 hp. Not until I get a mean built tranny.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Chapter President

Since you already have a boost fooler you might want to look at a programmer for now, or you could throw the $444 back in a savings or something and add a little to it at a time and when it's built up some look at injectors. (That's my next power enhancement after I secure my LP.) (And I make some money)
Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duallydog
Since you already have a boost fooler you might want to look at a programmer for now, or you could throw the $444 back in a savings or something and add a little to it at a time and when it's built up some look at injectors. (That's my next power enhancement after I secure my LP.) (And I make some money)
Ditto. Use that boost fooler since you already have it. Bullydog Triple Dogs are going for 300-350 in the classifieds right now!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I am looking at either an edge juice w/attitude, or a TST for my performance upgrades.

Quick Reply: $1,000