3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

thinking bout getting 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im gonna take the dpf crap off as soon as i get home.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 PM

Negative on the 6.7? Mine was in the shop 13 times all emissions, turbo cleaning, then a new turbo. All before 8500 miles and I ran that pickup like it needed to be ran. Went back to old school 2002 24v..best of luck
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 AM

As an "old guy", I can say that in the past medium/light duty passenger diesels were usually working trucks used for daily hauling and towing. You drove them to town because you couldn't afford two or three other vehicles and what you worked in you used for everything. Credit was harder to come by too.

Nowadays, the truck market seems to have morphed into diesels lined out like automobiles to market the "working truck owner" image. Pretty savvy decision on the truck manufacturers part. Some of these trim packages make me chuckle compared to what we were driving in the 50s' and 60s'.

My 6.7 with 20K miles pulls heavy trailers everyday (in 4 wheel drive) and the truck has run perfectly since I bought it. No problems whatsoever. Mileage averages about 17 mpg which is about the same as my 06' 5.9 but with a better tranny and more HP/Torque.

My opinion is if you need a heavy duty work truck or tow a heavy RV everyday the 6.7 is a great ride. Otherwise, buy a half ton small block V8 or maybe a 3/4 ton Hemi.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Apache1
As an "old guy", I can say that in the past medium/light duty passenger diesels were usually working trucks used for daily hauling and towing. You drove them to town because you couldn't afford two or three other vehicles and what you worked in you used for everything. Credit was harder to come by too.

Nowadays, the truck market seems to have morphed into diesels lined out like automobiles to market the "working truck owner" image. Pretty savvy decision on the truck manufacturers part. Some of these trim packages make me chuckle compared to what we were driving in the 50s' and 60s'.

My 6.7 with 20K miles pulls heavy trailers everyday (in 4 wheel drive) and the truck has run perfectly since I bought it. No problems whatsoever. Mileage averages about 17 mpg which is about the same as my 06' 5.9 but with a better tranny and more HP/Torque.

My opinion is if you need a heavy duty work truck or tow a heavy RV everyday the 6.7 is a great ride. Otherwise, buy a half ton small block V8 or maybe a 3/4 ton Hemi.
Well said, and I agree.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks Dodge man and J BODY, that makes a lot more sense now. The wood stove analogy was very helpful! Are most of the problems with people who really run them light, like the old dude who idles a lot? I don't have a 6.7, but I love reading posts like this, so I do have questions. I drive about 20 miles one way to work. It's about 2 miles on back roads and the rest is wide open interstate (I-81 south from Chambersburg to Shady Grove for those in the area). Would someone like me not run the truck hard enough if that's all I did was use it as a daily driver and once every 6 months or so to haul a 7,000# trailer?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:21 PM

My 07.5 is my 5th ctd had 99,01,03,05 would take back any of my old trucks if i could. to many issues on the blu tec exhaust system.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by R6Luver
Thanks Dodge man and J BODY, that makes a lot more sense now. The wood stove analogy was very helpful! Are most of the problems with people who really run them light, like the old dude who idles a lot? I don't have a 6.7, but I love reading posts like this, so I do have questions. I drive about 20 miles one way to work. It's about 2 miles on back roads and the rest is wide open interstate (I-81 south from Chambersburg to Shady Grove for those in the area). Would someone like me not run the truck hard enough if that's all I did was use it as a daily driver and once every 6 months or so to haul a 7,000# trailer?
Yes that is why most have problems, but you still see the "I put the wrong oil in", "wrong fuel in" ect. Hmmm I can't say for sure but with only 20 miles to go I would feel much better if I had the truck in a heated garage/shop so that way it's warmed up right away (and then hope that it gets running hot with the 20 miles).
Old 01-11-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
Question we ask ourselves quite often is: Why on earth did Mr. X buy a CTD??

Did all the updates on a 6.7 last week. Was one year old and had 5100 miles on it. Camper shell, and NO paint scrapes in the receiver hitch. This truck has NEVER towed anything in it's life. Why on earth would someone buy a CTD for this???

I have another one that an older gentleman purchased just because he had never had a diesel. Oil change required comes on about every 2800 miles and the scan tool always show a number of incomplete regens... Trip info show lots of idle time and the 0-10% usage is the highest and drops rapidly from there.. Two cases where they should have bought the HEMI, and I could name a few more.

Even as far back as the old 12 valve days we've seen "light use" issues. Gummed up valve stems holding valves open, knock from carbon buildup, fuel system algae.

I only live 8 miles from work and do not use my 01 CTD as a "daily driver" as there is no way it gets good heat cycles in that short of drive.

There was a day when these trucks were seen as a "work horse" and most of them were purchased to "do the job".... Somewhere along the way it suddenly became "cool" to have a diesel and the downward slide began there. I chuckle to myself when I'm out at the lake and see a 3500 dually 4x4 pulling a two place jet ski trailer.

J Body you have my deepest respect. I agree with your post 100%. It's cool to have a diesel nowadays, especially when you can add a 600 bucks box and make it faster than a Corvette. It's the newest trend.....
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Man, you guys are scaring me. I just replied in another thread that my Hemi Ram is about to turn 100k trouble free miles and I'm considering an '07 6.7L Cummins Ram to replace it. Now I'm thinking maybe I should keep my Hemi powered 2500HD another 100k. My heart says I want my 5th Cummins powered Ram. My gut tells me no after reading here. Getting it up to running temps isn't a problem. Getting it hot enough every day to keep the emissions clean is questionable. I run all my trucks bone stock so removing the emissions equipment and having the check engine light on wouldn't sit well with me. Dang! Which way do I go...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM

I have three friends with diesels.
No. 1 has a 2007.5 3500 6 speed man. and pulls every day. It did spend 10 weeks in the shop with emissions and other issues. It is now running.
No. 2 has had three d-maxes. He traded the first because of overheating issues at less than 30K, traded the second with less than 15k. The third
truck spent 11.5 weeks in the shop with mechanical issues. It got a new
engine. He will get a new chevy later this month.
No. 3 has had two fords. He sold the first truck, a 7.3, with 350K and never an issue and bought a 6.4 and has about 80K on it with no issues except
when he dropped a 5'ver on the bed (over $4000.) He has pulled a big
horse trailer all over the country.
My point--take your choice, it's a crap shoot any way.
BCD
08 2500 laramie cleansed at 11K and 21K
Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 AM

In my opinion, I don't think there is a "bad" choice for a 2009 heavy-duty pickup. All three (Dodge, Ford, GM) offer really nice models with decent drivetrains. The problem is the emissions equipment that chokes the living he!! out of these engines. If the .gov would simply say,"You know what? The 2007 emissions standards are really tough as it is, let's just forget about the 2010 standards for a while and let the manufacturers work on reliability and fuel economy until 2015 and then revisit the emissions standards then."

If America were to be so lucky to find itself in that situation, our diesel-engined trucks (both big and small) would be so much more reliable and fuel efficient because the technology would be allowed to mature rather than be constantly scrapped for the next emissions tier. Fact is, as soon as the technology is developed...it is obsolete and must be tossed in the can for something different.

Imagine truckdom with 6.7L Cummins engines with none of the emissions-related issues you all are experiencing? Imagine them getting 20-24mpg. Imagine 6.4L Powerstrokes and 6.6L Duramaxes the same way. That's nirvana. That's the way it should be.

Unfortunately, the way the .gov wants it, you can't simply buy a $50K truck and expect it to run correctly anymore. Nope, the .gov has set up the system so the emissions technology can never mature to the point where you can actually depend on it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wobblin-Goblin
Imagine them getting 20-24mpg.
Even with the DPF off you arent going to be seeing any 24mpg 6.7's, the 5.9 CR's dont even get that.

The mileage king was and is the 12 valve cummins. Nothing will ever come close.

(patiently waiting for everyone to come in protesting "WELL I GET 36MPG CITY DRIVING WITH MY CR!!")
Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM

i have two of them and have never really had any major problems with them....NONE in the C&C and a turbo in the Pickup at 6k miles...i now have 44k on it and she is running strong....i plow with it also and never have an exhast issue!!! and as far as the other 3...its not all about the emissions...i was in the local ford shop the other day and they had a brand new F-550 in there with the 6.4L , it had 8,000 miles on it......they had the cab off the truck and the top of the engine pulled apart (turbos, heads, intake manifold) and 4 out of 8 pistons were melted with chunks missing from each....never had that problem with a cummins....and my buddy's 06 ford is in there right now getting a shortblock at 65k....no cummins i ever heard of for that either...he has gone through 3 oil pumps and a crank in 60k
Old 01-15-2009, 01:04 PM

Fix Or Repair Daily !! Im sorry but it had to be said. I had one for a short
time. There is no way i would own anything but a cummins.
The power, the ride,the looks, cant be beat. I wonder if the
prices would be a little lower if only the people who needed
a diesel baught them. there would be a lot less on the road.
I see alot of 16 yr olds running around in their lifted 12"
with 39" nittos on 24" wheel Power Stoke becauce daddy
more money than brains! Im sorry, but I had to vent. Im by
no means putting down any one who wants a new diesel
truck for light use or milage lonjevity.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:45 PM

Men, I just had to sell my 08 6.7 due to financial issues. I can tell you that I am very sad to see it go. This has been the one and only truck that I have had in the past few years (those of you that have been here know that there have been plenty) that just ran perfectly and had a trans that shifted just like I thought it should. In fact, I'm trying to figure a way to get into another, less optioned, 6.7 w/ auto trans because I liked it that much! Yes I started having the soot codes but as soon as it happened I pulled the stock exhaust off and unplugged the EGR. It's been 5000 miles since then and the truck has run perfectly plus mileage is way up. Stock I was getting 13city/18hwy/9towing. After losing parts I get 16city/22hwy/11towing. The only truck I had before that got any closer to this mileage was my 03SO which got about the same city and hwy mileage but it got 13-14 towing.
So, basically, I would not be scared of a 6.7 truck as long as you keep in mind that you may have to at least unplug the egr....

Quick Reply: thinking bout getting 6.7