3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stuck in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, here's the final chapter. Next they took apart the transfer case, put it back together, and still no go. Then they pulled the transfer case from another truck on the lot, installed it and that didn't help either. Then finally they had a break through and determined there was an electrical fault in the instrument cluster. They hooked up another cluster from a truck on the lot and the problem apppeared to be resolved. They ordered in a new intstrument cluster and it was a 5 day wait for that part. The truck spent about 2 weeks in the shop before I finally got it back.

After I had the truck back, 2 days later the service 4wd light comes on. I say to myself, here we go again. This time the problem was intermittent and whenever the light was on it would not shift in or out of 4wd. I get a call from the dealer that day asking how the truck was running? I say not to good. Dealer says they have a wiring harness on order already and to bring the truck back in. Sounds like they knew the problem wasn't fixed entirely when they had returned the truck. The truck goes in for one more day and they replace the transfer case wiring harness and TIPM connector. That was 4 weeks ago and no problems since then.

Note what I said the very first time I took the truck in:

"I then asked him if swapping the switch would fix it and he said it should as those were the only two components that could be faulty. I suggested it could also be the wiring or a bad connection and he just shrugged his shoulders."
Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad they finally found it FishOn.

It can get awfully frustrating when you run onto a problem like that. Maybe a broken or crimped wire somewhere in the harness?

Anyway, new harness, connector, cluster and switch not much left. I'd write a letter on that one. Thanks for the update.