3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

removing EGR cooler hoses

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation removing EGR cooler hoses

I am trying to do the 135000 mile service myself. This is my first experience with the 6.7 Cummins and for now I was going to keep it stock
I managed the EGR cleaning with no problems but I found trying to remove the EGR cooler quite a bit more of a challenge.

Right now my problem is how to remove hose 1 in the picture and disconnect hose 2 from cooler.
I have removed hose 1 from the cooler loosing about a qt of coolant that I was not expecting and unbolted its hold-down bracket by the CCV Filter.
But I can’t remove it to get it out of the way.

Hose 2 so far I tried to gently tap it foreword with a dead blow hammer to no avail.

Any secrets out there on how to remove the inside cooler to manifold 15 mm nut thats under the cowling

Name:  EGRcoolerhoses.jpg
Views: 7267
Size:  62.0 KB
Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 AM

Red face

what a nightmare it has been to remove the EGR cooler.
I have learned from my dealers diesel mechanic that my cooler hoses are the new style. they are just held by o'rings and the bracket bolt. I had to use a bigger pry bar on hose 1 and I got the hose 2 connection to move with a dead blow hammer so it came loose when i got the cooler free.

he was asking why I was pulling the cooler I told him just to clean it he replied they never do that. he also said they are subject to coolant leaking if I cant find a coolant leak suspect this cooler.

the way I reached that seemingly impossible nut was with about 4 foot of 3/8 extensions a short 15 mm socket and a wobble joint. I had put tape inside the socket to get it to fit tightly so I could lift out the nut once it was free. I will have to do something like that to reinstall it later.

this isa great site I have followed it for years I appreciate all the good people and their advice found here.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the cooler is easy to get off. you could have removed the 2 rear nuts first, then the 4 10mm on the straps that hold the cooler into the cast cradle and lift up and slide out. no pry bar needed. I can do an EGR delete in about 45 minutes (including the cooler and refilling the cooling system).

on the rear 2 nuts, all you need is a 15mm with a 3" extension and reach around the back with your left hand and squeeze in with your right hand on the right side. the outer nut (one on the passenger side) can get in with a 15mm wrench. the hardest nut to remove out of the whole system is the one on the inside (near the valve cover) on the bypass valve but that is still fairly easy to remove.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 PM

I just had to use the pry bar to remve hose 1 . it was a real tight fit on the
o ring. and the dead blow loosened up the connecton for hose 2 at the cooler.

thanks really for the reply
Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The inside 15mm nut is easiest removed with a cheap 15mm wrench chucked into a vise and bent at a 45 degree angle.