3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P2262 vs. exh. brake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2262 vs. exh. brake?

I've had my truck for 5,046 trouble free miles untill I got a check engine light yesterday. I pulled the code and got the 2262. Just for the heck of it I tried to engage the exhaust brake which I hardly ever use and it wouldn't work. I was busy at the time so I parked the truck. I got back in it to go to lunch and I locked it in 4th and ran it up to about 2800rpm, put the exh. brake on and let off the acc. pedal and it came on a little but sounded kind of weak. I just kept accelerating and letting off and it seemed to free up and was working normally again. Parked the truck and when I started the truck again the CEL was gone. Been driving with exh. brake on ever since. Anybody else done this? If so, did it come back? Also, for the people that use the exh. brake all the time, how many of you (if any) are getting the 2262 code.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Never had that code and run with eb on all the time. 33,000 miles since may, 22.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM

I only turn the exh. brake switch on when I need it. I do know that the CEL light will go out after a few starts if everything is OK. The truck is monitoring sooo many things, all it takes is one little quirk to set off the CEL but like said previously if all else is good the CEL will go out. When the CEL comes on & stays on thru more than 6 restarts there might be a problem, although my CEL was on constantly for almost half the 122k miles I have on the clock. Never had any performance issues with it on, but it SURE was annoying, especially when most of my driving is at night.
I tried having the exh. brake on all the time but found it robbed power, especially while towing heavy and fuel mileage which is why I only turn it on when I need it. I believe there has been much debate on here about how to use it, you'll find out how to use it as you increase your seat time. If I go for a long period of time without using it I will turn it on just to clear things out cause I think it can clog with soot if you don't use it at all.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:58 PM

My exhaust brake is never off,you got to let that turbo open and close,also to really let the turbo move get in 6th let off the throttle and press tow haul/light load button and let it slow your truck to a stop.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 PM

I had the code at 2200 miles and I had previously only used it a couple of times until then. After the new turbo, I have the ex. brake on 80% of the time and not one problem. Keeping the ex. brake on keeps the sliding nozzle on the VGT clean and thus much less of a chance for both clogs and faulting turbos.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM

I turn mine on everytime I start the truck. I've read several posts about the EB sticking due to the soot getting in there and clogging things up if you don't use it regularly.....
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM

I use the eb all the time, per the dealers recommendation. I have never had a CEL but I only have about 6000 miles. I think it might affect my fuel mileage.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by susee80
I use the eb all the time, per the dealers recommendation. I have never had a CEL but I only have about 6000 miles. I think it might affect my fuel mileage.
I posted this before, but just try this to see what I mean. The effects will be better felt if you have some weight on towing something. Start out from a dead stop with the EB "switched" on and after you shift into 3rd just run it up a bit and then turn the EB switch OFF while gaining r.p.m.'s. You can do it in 1st or 2nd too but with mine it was much more noticeable in 3rd which caught my attention. Also, and again with some weight towing, cruise along at whatever speed, cruise control set and trany in OD, NO tow/haul either turn the EB switch on or off. Again with mine, there is a noticable difference. The EB is just switched on it's not actually braking the truck but it seems there is still some restriction or back pressure - maybe mine is not working right but over a 1,300 mile trip I have experienced a loss of m.p.g.'s with the EB switched on all the time. My turbo has never given me any problems and I've never had any codes related to the turbo - only had the initial problems with the EGR system when new. 122k miles on the clock.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by susee80
per the dealers recommendation.
I had to laugh at THAT one. The first 2 "techs" that looked at my truck asked me what that switch was for!!! Of course my 6.7L was the first one they had ever seen. I got the SM to agree to get their 2 "Diesel Techs" off to 6.7L training ASAP as they knew I'd be racking up the mileage on the 6.7L pretty quickly and I wanted some experience working on my truck. They knew how quick the mileage piled up on the 04.5 and they actually did get the techs to training.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:17 AM

I'll have to try that. I have done it without really thinking much about it and I never felt any difference but I wasn't really feeling for it specifically.
So this exhaust brake is just incorporated into the turbo, right? It's not a PacBrake or JacobsBrake?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by GMScott
I posted this before, but just try this to see what I mean. The effects will be better felt if you have some weight on towing something. Start out from a dead stop with the EB "switched" on and after you shift into 3rd just run it up a bit and then turn the EB switch OFF while gaining r.p.m.'s. You can do it in 1st or 2nd too but with mine it was much more noticeable in 3rd which caught my attention. Also, and again with some weight towing, cruise along at whatever speed, cruise control set and trany in OD, NO tow/haul either turn the EB switch on or off. Again with mine, there is a noticable difference. The EB is just switched on it's not actually braking the truck but it seems there is still some restriction or back pressure - maybe mine is not working right but over a 1,300 mile trip I have experienced a loss of m.p.g.'s with the EB switched on all the time. My turbo has never given me any problems and I've never had any codes related to the turbo - only had the initial problems with the EGR system when new. 122k miles on the clock.
I don't understand, what do you "feel" when you "run it up after shifting into 3rd" and hit the button to turn off the vgt braking. Can you elaborate some more? Does the sound change, rpms change

There should be no difference in performance with EB on or off when you are giving it more than 0% throttle. The ECM is only manipulating the vgt for braking purposes when the throttle is at 0%.

Unless something is wrong, like you said, which is likely.

Might even be causing your overall fuel economy problem, not just worse fuel economy when the EB is on.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by bigblock2stroke
I don't understand, what do you "feel" when you "run it up after shifting into 3rd" and hit the button to turn off the vgt braking. Can you elaborate some more? Does the sound change, rpms change.
Elaboration. What I experience is an increase of r.p.m.'s which causes a VERY MILD but noticable "lurch" while running up the r.p.m.'s and switching the EB off. r.p.m.'s may only increase less than a hundred, hard to tell with the stock tach, but it was the difference in engine sound that caught my attention. Same for when running with the cruise control on. Turn off the EB and engine sound will change and truck feels like ya just pressed on the accelerator a bit. Again, very mildly but noticable.
I also have had the same engine sound difference with the EB off and slowing down from a slow speed, like around 45 m.p.h. Not all the time but intermittently it almost sounds as if the EB is on but not quite as loud as when the EB is actually switched on.
If there is something wrong and it's effecting my fuel mileage I sure would like to know. Never had any codes relating to the turbo or EB. Of course now, if I find that there is something wrong it's on me with the mileage I have on the truck now.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 PM

I just got the cel on my truck this evening and when i did the key trick i pulled the p2262 and p0513. EB is run all the time. after 4 or 5 start ups the cel light went out but the codes are still there. by the way i was around 6300 miles on the clock when it came on.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:49 PM

I do a lot of highway traveling and used it all the time since new. I've had four CELs and after regen, dpf and egr clean up, they finally replaced the turbo. No problems (knock on wood) after about 800 miles of use. Hope it stays that way, I have not customized my truck very much because I don't know if I'm going to keep it. Like it, but it sure is a test bed, sucks!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by GMScott
Elaboration. What I experience is an increase of r.p.m.'s which causes a VERY MILD but noticable "lurch" while running up the r.p.m.'s and switching the EB off. r.p.m.'s may only increase less than a hundred, hard to tell with the stock tach, but it was the difference in engine sound that caught my attention. Same for when running with the cruise control on. Turn off the EB and engine sound will change and truck feels like ya just pressed on the accelerator a bit. Again, very mildly but noticable.
I also have had the same engine sound difference with the EB off and slowing down from a slow speed, like around 45 m.p.h. Not all the time but intermittently it almost sounds as if the EB is on but not quite as loud as when the EB is actually switched on.
If there is something wrong and it's effecting my fuel mileage I sure would like to know. Never had any codes relating to the turbo or EB. Of course now, if I find that there is something wrong it's on me with the mileage I have on the truck now.
That's some strange stuff. I do know that when you are in a regen, the engine attempts to "keep the heat" on even when you have let off the accelerator pedal. Maybe the engine is keeping the vgt closed, but just not as far as when you have the EB on? That would explain why it doesn't happen all the time and it's like the EB is on but just not as noticeable. Just throwin chit out there for discussion.

Quick Reply: P2262 vs. exh. brake?