3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil in exhaust???

Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in exhaust???

I'm off on a trip pulling my Airstream trailer. I have noticed that there are little drops of black oil/soot or whatever on the front of my trailer. Also, there's residue up the right rear side (exhaust side) of my truck. The only thing I can figure out is that it's throwing out oil particles when I decelerate, possibly especially when I use the exhaust brake.

I have no codes showing. The truck seems to run as smooth as I want. Good power. I wish I could get better mileage. I get about 13.5 mpg pulling my 5200 llb. Airstream.

Any ideas of what it might be? Or....is this normal.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Is your truck stock? It is probably soot... Any CEL's or codes? I get about 11 MPG pulling my 25' toyhauler... I have deletes and Smarty and I get black soot on the side of my truck.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:47 AM

Is diesel soot a problem?

So is this soot production normal for an '09 6.7L? I bought mine used last year. Thought I got a relatively good deal, and was satisfied with the perfomance (except for mileage).

Do I just keep on driving down the road without worrying about what comes out the back end?
Old 03-09-2016, 12:07 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If your truck is stock, then it certainly is not normal and would indicate something is wrong with the emmisions system. Working properly, my tailpipe was super clean... I have since deleted and do get some soot now.

You could have defective DPF and many other things. Do you not have any codes or check engine lights. If your truck is stock I would not just continue to drive it like that.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mega-engr
You could have defective DPF and many other things. Do you not have any codes or check engine lights. If your truck is stock I would not just continue to drive it like that.
No, I don't have any CEL. I tried the code reveal procedure (key off...on three times) and got nothing. So I assume code free.

I have always tried to avoid going to a dealer, being fearful of a very, very big bill. Do we think this is something that only the dealer can figure out? I'm trying to figure out whether I should try to find a local "expert" diesel mechanic our just bite the bullet with a dealer.

I wonder if I have evidence of soot coming out of the exhaust, does it mean that, for instance, my turbo might be in trouble? (Just wish I understood the mechanics and science of the system better)
Old 04-01-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TankerIP
I'm off on a trip pulling my Airstream trailer. I have noticed that there are little drops of black oil/soot or whatever on the front of my trailer. Also, there's residue up the right rear side (exhaust side) of my truck. The only thing I can figure out is that it's throwing out oil particles when I decelerate, possibly especially when I use the exhaust brake.

I have no codes showing. The truck seems to run as smooth as I want. Good power. I wish I could get better mileage. I get about 13.5 mpg pulling my 5200 llb. Airstream.

Any ideas of what it might be? Or....is this normal.
your mileage is good, compared to mine pulling a fifth wheel ....best was 9 t0 11.of course the fiver was 12000 + and pretty tall. funny thing ,i got 16+ with the '95 powerstroke and when i bought the dodge the mileage was 9, i guess more power caused that
Old 04-01-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
soot indicates unburned fuel i think ,and your emission system is not right