3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New member with questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member with questions

Just purchased an 09 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab. Less than 150 miles on it and already back at the dealer with a problem. I was decelerating from about 40 mph and the entire truck started bucking violently...it was so bad that I stopped very quickly as I thought I was going to lose control of the rig. I cautiously started to accelerate again and that was fine but when I took my foot off the accelerator to slow again it did it again. Very scary. Needless to say I immediately brought it back to the dealer, which was less than 2 miles away. It did not do it again but when I got out of the truck there was a very strong, acrid, very hot smell of some sort. I left it at the dealer because honestly it was not safe to drive in my opinion. They disputed everything saying that it was a brand new truck and couldnt possibly have any problems. Anyone here know of such a condition? I am without a vehicle now and am a little upset at the dealership treatment of me...like I am making it up or an I am an idiot or something. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:07 AM

Man, Im sorry to hear about the trouble with your new truck. First off, welcome to the forum. At first I thought maybe you had the death wobble which affects some 4WD trucks, but Im wondering if it's not a problem with your turbo malfunctioning using the exhaust brake?? Were you running the EB at the time this happened? Also, if you would fill out your signature under the UserCP link on the top left of your screen, include all your truck info, that way anytime you are asking a question, everyone can see what you're driving. Hopefully, someone else that has experienced this will chime in and help you out. Sorry to hear the dealership treated you badly. Its such a shame there is not much "customer" left in "customer service"!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM

don't know what your state laws are, but in Texas, you have 72 hours to change your mind on a purchase of that value. I think a dealer response to a problem like that might change my mind about the purchase. At any rate, if that dealer doesn't take care of your problem, you need to find another dealer. I did. I do not get any service work from the dealership I bought my truck from. They were a lot like the folks you are dealing with. So another dealer gets all of my service work now and you can bet that they will get first option when I buy again.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 PM

Thanks guys...

Another issue has arisen concerning the vehicle. After dropping the vehicle off at the dealer I went home and looked at the spec sheet of standard features and the window sticker. The window sticker says it is a SLT model with 2FG package (Sirius radio, SLT badge, power rear sliding window) and according to the standard features it should have steering wheel mounted radio controls. The vehicle I drove home in has no power rear window, no steering mounted radio controls, no sirius radio as far as I know, but I was charged 800 for this package. I alerted the dealer to this and they agreed that something is not right. I indicated to them that I consider this a breach of contract and I want to cancel the contract. They are looking into it and tomorrow I will get an answer. It was there last Mega Cab and they cant deliver another on for over 3 months and it will be a 2010. Nothing went right on this purchase and I think they sold me a SXT model and not a SLT. Anyone have a SLT without steering wheel radio controls and a fixed rear window. I cant make one on the dealer website and the only truck I can make in the configuration I bought is a SXT. I hope to get out of this truck I have a bad feeling about the dealer and have less than 150 miles on it.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SLT's don't normally come with a power rear sliding window or radio controls on the steering wheel. If you get the infinity radio system the radio controls should be on the steering wheel. SLT's normally have a manual sliding rear window. Sirius, I am not sure about.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:02 PM

Thanks man...

It says it has an Alpine 560W stereo and was advertised with steering wheel radio controls which it doesnt have. I was charged 800 for a power rear sliding window which it also doesnt have. I will find out tomorrow what they say but I am considering it a breach of contract for not delivering that vehicle that I paid for.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 AM

Keep us updated Interested in how this turns out!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM

You can get a build sheet direct from Dodge online. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
SLT's don't normally come with a power rear sliding window or radio controls on the steering wheel. If you get the infinity radio system the radio controls should be on the steering wheel. SLT's normally have a manual sliding rear window. Sirius, I am not sure about.

Infiniti sound system, single disc changer, 1 year Sirius radio, and power sliding read glass window.

I got all of that on my '08 SLT. They called it the Popular Electronics Group.

Kris
Old 10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by StradaleDriver
It says it has an Alpine 560W stereo and was advertised with steering wheel radio controls which it doesnt have. I was charged 800 for a power rear sliding window which it also doesnt have. I will find out tomorrow what they say but I am considering it a breach of contract for not delivering that vehicle that I paid for.
I have an SLT Mega with a solid rear window. I have the Nav system with infinity and the steering wheel controls, all stock when purchased.

You should certainly be able to get what you paid for and have them included, a discount to accept what you have, or simply get out of the contract/truck. Sorry you have to go through this on what is supposed to be a great experience. Hang in there as things do happen and hopefully the dealer will make it right.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Update

Thanks to all who replied. First they were unable to duplicate the bucking and told me most likely I was not driving the truck corrrectly (???). I could not duplicate the problem on the way home either with the exhaust brake or without ( I have never used the exhaust brake but have read that I should use it all the time except in winter. Sucks for me I live in Alaska.)

Second, even though the dealer sticker says it comes equipped with a power rear sliding window package it was deleted by the manufacturer and instead a rear defroster was installed. This, according to the dealer ,is obvious by the credit of $85 dollars for the rear window defroster farther down the sheet. Apparently, by osmosis, I am supposed to understand that a negative $85 next to the rear defroster mean that there is no optional package even though it says so. Why not just not put it on the sheet? Dunno.

Third, and finally the real reason I joined this site and tiita on my trade in, a 08 BMW M3, and bought this truck. I am taking a trip from Alaska, where I live, to NY, where my family is, and I was wondering about extremely cold weather operation of this engine. I plan on encountering -20 to -50 degree temperatures on the Alaska highway especially through BC and the Canadian Rockies. I was planning on catching zees at turnouts on the Alaska Highway (which is legal) and leaving the truck idling ( in fact in these temps I would not ever turn it off) while I slept on an air mattress in the Mega cab. Can anyone advise me on this as well as any mods I should make for these kind of January/February temps or any other advice as I am not familiar with the Cummins diesel. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM

Sorry to hear, they couldn't reproduce issue and make it right.
Couple of things:
With regards to the Exhaust Brake, run it all the time, even in winter except when pulling a trailer.
Cold weather idling, have dealer enable High Idle and use this every time you stop and idle.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by StradaleDriver
Thanks to all who replied. First they were unable to duplicate the bucking and told me most likely I was not driving the truck corrrectly (???). I could not duplicate the problem on the way home either with the exhaust brake or without ( I have never used the exhaust brake but have read that I should use it all the time except in winter. Sucks for me I live in Alaska.)

Second, even though the dealer sticker says it comes equipped with a power rear sliding window package it was deleted by the manufacturer and instead a rear defroster was installed. This, according to the dealer ,is obvious by the credit of $85 dollars for the rear window defroster farther down the sheet. Apparently, by osmosis, I am supposed to understand that a negative $85 next to the rear defroster mean that there is no optional package even though it says so. Why not just not put it on the sheet? Dunno.

Third, and finally the real reason I joined this site and tiita on my trade in, a 08 BMW M3, and bought this truck. I am taking a trip from Alaska, where I live, to NY, where my family is, and I was wondering about extremely cold weather operation of this engine. I plan on encountering -20 to -50 degree temperatures on the Alaska highway especially through BC and the Canadian Rockies. I was planning on catching zees at turnouts on the Alaska Highway (which is legal) and leaving the truck idling ( in fact in these temps I would not ever turn it off) while I slept on an air mattress in the Mega cab. Can anyone advise me on this as well as any mods I should make for these kind of January/February temps or any other advice as I am not familiar with the Cummins diesel. Thanks.
I'm installing an Espar Coolant Heater. Will keep the cab and the engine warm, without running the engine. I spent 7 years in the Yukon and wish I'd had an Espar type heater!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 PM

Great forum

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
Sorry to hear, they couldn't reproduce issue and make it right.
Couple of things:
With regards to the Exhaust Brake, run it all the time, even in winter except when pulling a trailer.
Cold weather idling, have dealer enable High Idle and use this every time you stop and idle.
Thanks for the input...I will check with the dealer tomorrow on this.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:27 PM

Thanks.

Originally Posted by YYC Mike
I'm installing an Espar Coolant Heater. Will keep the cab and the engine warm, without running the engine. I spent 7 years in the Yukon and wish I'd had an Espar type heater!
Thanks for the input...am leary of shutting off the truck in those temps. for fear it will not restart and I always plug if the temp is under 10 degrees. I will check it out though.

Just reread your post....didnt read the part about keeping the engine warm also...I will definitely google that right now. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New member with questions