3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New To This Forum, With A Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New To This Forum, With A Problem

Good Morning To All,

I am new to this forum, and I need some advice. I have a 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW. Started a brake job, rotors and pads. After seeing what the dealer get i decided to do it myself. On my model the rotors are bolted to the hubs, and with the amount of rust due to the weather, the bolts had to be heated to get them off. I'm sure the heat did not help the tempered bolt, and they probably shoul be replaced. There are eight on each side, and I would prefer not going to the dealer, as I'm sure they don't give them away. Any of you people run into this one. The bolts are flange bolt, with a substantial step shoulder on them.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried a "real" auto parts store like a commercial Napa or even a big truck dealer?
Take one with you and try to match it up.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, yes i have checked the local NAPA stores, my son is a parts man for a large truck repair center. He is scouting for me, so here is the venting. I have a 2008 Dodge 1 Ton dually, the bolts are OEM and only available at factory dealers. One the local dealers did a nationwide dealer search. NO ONE HAS THESE #%&*!?/ Bolts. They are waiting for the third party manufacturer to send them some to Detroit, are you kidding me. Mean while the truck sits apart in the driveway.
Not really happy with Dodge as a supplier today!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a crock!
Bolts end up in shear, not tension, correct? (Other than the tension of tightening them, they just keep the rotor from spinning on the hub.)
If so, drop the old bolts back in and call it a day. Put some anti seize on them so they don't ever get stuck again.
If there's any section loss due to rust I wouldn't use them, but if they came out pretty clean I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was my truck. At least as a stop gap to get you back on the road and just change them next time you have the wheels off.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 AM

Normally I would agree with you, but two of the bolts were damaged beyond use, and I use the truck to haul a toyhauler load of 16,000 lbs. load. Combine that with an overly suspicious nature were going new bolts. The good news is my son tells me he may have them in hand by weeks end.