3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Info From A Diesel Tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Info From A Diesel Tech

I stopped by a local Dodge dealer to pick up some touch-up paint and while there I met their diesel service technician, who turned out to be a real nice guy when I told him I owned a 2007.5, 6.7L truck. I let him know I'd like to "pick his brain" and, surprisingly, he invited me into the shop where he was in the process of working on a 6.7 that had soot issues. He had removed the EGR cooler and the EGR and explained to me what he was doing. He also showed me the inner workings of a turbo that he had lying on his workbench and explained its operation. Of course, since I had a listening ear and this guy seemed to know his stuff I plied him with many questions.

One question had to do with the DPF & EGR deletes that many of you have already done. He seemed slightly uncomfortable talking about it but volunteered that it's been his experience that when you delete these components the engine loses some of it's low-end power. Comments from those of you who have deleted these items?

My other question was concerning any improvements that have been made to the turbo. Yes, there is at least one improvement. He told me that the portion of the turbo where the exhaust brake slides in and out (sorry, I don't know the technical terms) has been sharpened so as to allow its movement to more effectively scrape off the soot.

He also explained that these trucks shouldn't be babied, as all of you well know by know. The owner of the 6.7 he was working on did just that and that was the main reason his truck was in the shop. Just thought I'd pass along these little tidbits of info.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the post, good info. Sounds like we are learning the same things.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most guys feel a slight improvement in power. For me, power feels the same but I notice that if I drive around in drive (6th gear) that I lug the engine more than before. I haven't figured out if that is just me or if it has to do with possibly making a bit less power. The last month that i drove around with everything still on the truck I drove around in manual 4th or 5th gear because I was constantly trying to make my soot codes go away. The power is definitely there when I put my foot into it though. I filled up last night and, without getting on the highway at all other than sitting in traffic for 10 miles on I95 everyday going home, I got exactly 17mpg. The least I have seen since the deletes was 15.7 and I was driving a bit more aggressively on that tankful. My mileage before the deletes running the same exact routes to and from work were 12.5-13mpg.
I will take a slight low-end powerloss for those gains in mileage....