3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel tank leak at top

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel tank leak at top

Ram 2500 with 6.7. Went out this morning and found a puddle of fuel under my truck. Truck is backed into the driveway which has a normal slope so the front end was downhill...same as it's always parked. Fuel was running out at a pretty solid stream. Tank was filled yesterday morning and I put 47 miles on the tank yesterday so at least three gallons burned out of it.

Moved the truck to level ground and the leak stopped. Looks like it was coming from what I assume is the tank vent. It's near the front of the tank, on top, made of plastic and has a hose barb on it but no hose. The hose barb is wet, so I believe it's coming from it, not the gasket (I assume there is a gasket?).

I've owned the truck for 2 months and while I can't guarantee it, I don't believe this is the first time I've brought it home on a fairly full tank. So my question is, should there be a hose on that barb which I assume would run up near the filler cap? Surely it's not a problem for these trucks to sit on an incline with a full tank...and this one is only 90% full. Temp this morning is 80 degrees so I wouldn't think there would be all that much expansion going on.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the exact same issue. Filled up truck to the brim and then parked the truck nose down. Fuel all over the place. I don't fill truck to the neck anymore and no more problems parking at an angle.

You should probably get under there and clean up the fuel because it will drip for days. There is a good sized indentation that holds a quart or 2 of diesel right by that vent that fills up and that will slop around. I used an old towel to soak up all the diesel and then got dish soap and water and washed everything cause I hated the raw diesel smell.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it has not been leaking before you might have want happened to my friend someone took the hose off his vent and was stealing his fuel that way they would slide a smaller hose down into the tank and use a electric fuel pump to empty his tank. it took like a month to catch them but he finally got them doing it and beat the hell of them and then called the cops.