3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

flashing lightning bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flashing lightning bolt

hi all, need some help. i have an 08 dodge ram 2500 6.7L mega cab 4x4. EGR and DPF deleted. smarty raceme tuner installed and 5 inch exhaust. 85xxx miles. a couple of weeks ago i got the flashing lightning bolt and a check engine light, symptoms were, loss of power, bad fuel economy, hard start and knocking. while waiting on parts i had to tow my excavator home and the next morning the flashing lightning bolt was gone and truck was back to normal. while we took the truck apart to change the number 6 connecting rod bearing we found that number 5 was bad as well. got the truck back together and all was fine, no lightning bolt, no knocks or check engine lights. i thought everything was fine til yesterday. while parked in a parking lot, the trucks idle jumped a bit and the lightning bolt and check engine lights were back. (UGH) and the knock.

so, this is what i have done, i have put injector cleaner in the tank ( this is the first thing i did prior to dropping the oil pan). cleaned ALL the terminals, grounds and battery posts. cleaned one ECM, cannot get the other off the computer box (?)

i get three codes from my smarty tuner, camshaft pressure sensor ( which i changed) fuel pressure sensor ( not changed) and sensor reference voltage 2 low. (?)

what else can i do?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:05 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
When you changed the bearings, did you measure the crank journal to check for any out of round condition that may have resulted from the bad bearings? If the bearing areas are out of round, then any new shells that you put in may not last very long. Unfortunately the only way to fix this is to have the crank reground, which means taking it out of the engine, which means removing the engine from the truck. Not nice and not cheap.