3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

electronic throttle control/c.e.l

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
electronic throttle control/c.e.l

Dad just got home with his 2007 6.7 bone stock 2500 HD 6 speed manual with 300 miles on the clock. On the way back to town for dinner the electronic throttle control or the red lighting bolt came on followed by a c.e.l and there is a noticeable stumble on acceleration the only thing we did was kick the exhaust brake on coming down a big grade to town and it lit up shut the truck off when we got to dinner and the light was off but the c.e.l. light was still on and there was no code with the 3 clicks key trick. Any one have any answers??
Old 12-17-2007, 11:04 PM
RCW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are not going to like this answer, but on the 6.7 do not use the exhaust brake unless the truck has been really pulling and is hot and then going down hill.

What happens is an unloaded truck generates a lot of carbon and flipping on the exhaust brake causes that cold carbon to break loose and plug the particulate burner enough that it sets a code. You will need a trip to the dealer for the reset.

The three key flip code read nonsense does not work on the newer trucks, you really need to have it read with the appropriate scanner.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Well that is a defiantly bummer how come then the dealer told dad that he could turn the brake on while its cold and idling for a faster warm up like the exhaust brake on my 02? Also whats up with the stumble is it in some kind of "safe/limp" mode cause the check engine light?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Most people are saying use the exhaust brake all the time. This is the first post I have every heard about having to wait for a hot engine. Wouldn't think that would be the case at all. Use it all the time to help keep the carbon from building up in the first place is more logical.... Hot engine and a barely used exhaust brake sounds like a sticking nozzle waiting to happen.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:33 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Me too because even in the manual it says "faster warm up time" I think he is going to take it back in to the shop in the morning and say what give it does have the flash but it was done in October so it might need the latest greatest softwares.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Hot engine and a barely used exhaust brake sounds like a sticking nozzle waiting to happen.
Exactly right! You should use the exhaust brake whenever possible. The only time I don't use it is on icy roads where it can cause the wheels to lock up and throw the truck into a skid. Using the E-brake negates the build up of carbon on the nozzle. As advertised, it also does greatly speed up the cab warm up time.

The key trick DOES work on the new trucks. I used to think it didn't work as well. The trick is to do the 'on off on off on off on' very quickly... it should take less than 2 seconds to complete the cycle, then watch for the codes in the odometer. When the codes are done it will say 'finished'. Let us know what you find out.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

I did it when it happened and there was no stored code with the key trick when it first did it there was a code then it went away before i could write it down and now it shows nothing.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:37 AM

I too run the exhaust brake on all the time. In fact the Dealer told me to do so. Don't understand why Dodge didn't make it the default setting?
Old 12-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Banned

the ebrake can be used all the time.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:44 AM

The C&C 4500 that I have is defaulted to keep the ebrake on all the time, even after turning the truck on after shutdown the ebrake is on, the only way to shut it down is while running hit the switch and it will turn it off. But it does default to on automatically.

flgc
Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

We just got a call from the dealer and they said the code that was stored was a faulty map sensor what would that have too do with the electronic throttle control? or is it have every thing to do with it. They said the lack of power and stumble was because the truck was in a "safe" mode or the ol limp mode.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by RCW
You are not going to like this answer
that part you got right. the rest, not so much.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM

I too use my e-brake all the time. Yes, the key trick also works. I think you just have to do it alittle faster than on previous trucks.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

I am glad I was not the only one who smelt something on that answer shesh why have the exhaust brake at all then
Old 12-19-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the "key trick" and now my CEL stays on. I couldn't read any codes but the odometer read "done". I'm learning to live with the light on...Dodge/Cummins is working on a fix.

2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/SRW/SB/4X4/6-speed man/Big Horn Edition/16k Husky manual slider hitch

Quick Reply: electronic throttle control/c.e.l