3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DPF Delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last couple trucks I have traded in were accepted by dealers without even spending one minute looking over them.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Totallyrad
You have to be thorough or the results are null.
you guys are funny!!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by niles69
Thanks guys that really helpful. What if you traded it in with the delete?
Depends on the dealer. Some dealers won't take a truck if it doesn't have a cat or muffler. Others don't care. I can't see a difference with regards to a 6.7L which just has more emissions equipment.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:00 PM

What about the regen cycle? This makes it sound easy but even with my 05 I can't get rid of the cat heater 3rd fuel event so other than not clogging up the the DPF how can you improve the MPG?

I like the thougt of a 6.7 vs the 5.9. "There's no substitute for cubic inches!"

DT<*)))><
Old 10-11-2008, 09:39 PM

The regen cycle doesn't occur when you delete the DPF because you also plug a "fooler" box into the three EGT sensors on the exhaust that trick the exhaust into thinking the truck is in passive regen, therefore no need for an active regen. Without the fooler box, straight-piping a 6.7L would throw a hard-code CEL and the truck would go into "limp" mode and require a dealer visit to get it running right.

And you are correct. All others (free flowing exhaust) being equal, there is NO replacement for displacement!
Old 10-12-2008, 02:49 AM

So anyone have an data on how fuel mileage is effected if you delete DPF and turn off that #7 injector with the foolers?

Is it possible to get these new 6.7 up to the mileage of an 03? Don't get me wrong I love my 05 until my buddy tells me his mileage on his 03. He averages about 15% percent better than I do. If I could go 6.7 and get the 5.9 03 mileage it would be a beautiful thing.

DT<*)))><
Old 10-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Best I had gotten out the truck in my signature before the deletes was 17.9mpg on a tank of fuel, ALL highway, driving west to east at night with a tailwind. Pretty much the most ideal mileage conditions possible. Since the deletes my best tank of fuel has been 20.9 but involved driving through 32 small towns (yeah, i counted), San Antonio rush hour TWICE (there and back), and through the Texas Hill Country and Lake Country which has some pretty steep grades and is anything but flat highway in the south Texas summer. Not NEARLY as mileage-friendly conditions. I have no doubt at all that I could get 23mpg out of this truck, hand calculated, on the trip to Florida I had taken with the truck all stock (drivetrain-wise). 23mpg out of an 8000lbs. truck with 400+ hp 700+ trq and 35" tires is alright by me.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:47 PM

I have gotten a consistant 16 mpg with my truck since doing the deletes. Before the deletes I was getting only 13 max.(This is with no highway driving.) I had an 03 SO which was always considered to be the best 3rd gen mileage wise. It got 16 city also. I'd say the 6.7 is just as good but even better because of all the extra power...
Old 10-18-2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I have gotten a consistant 16 mpg with my truck since doing the deletes. Before the deletes I was getting only 13 max.(This is with no highway driving.) I had an 03 SO which was always considered to be the best 3rd gen mileage wise. It got 16 city also. I'd say the 6.7 is just as good but even better because of all the extra power...
Dodgezilla (or anyone else who's done the delete),

When you do the DPF delete what happens to the exhaust noise. I'm very happy with how quiet my '08 is in the stock condition but I would like to do the delete for fuel mileage reasons. Is the any noise resonance without the DPF?

How is the cabin noise?

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 AM

Cabin noise is not much louder but I have a drone now at certain RPMs. Personally, I don't really care for the new sound. It has a hiss to it now. When the E-Brake is on it sounds just like a jet engine too and I definitely don't like the way that sounds. Broncohound added another muffler on his and I am gonna be experimenting with putting a 5.9 CAT on mine once I get it modified. I like that the truck actually makes some sound now. I just don't exactly like the sound it makes though.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:25 AM

I like the sound it makes now with the AeroTurbine 4040 muffler on. It eliminated probably 90% of the hiss. However, if there was a magic muffler out there that could give me the flow of my 4" TBE with the sound of my truck pre-DPF delete I would pay $500 for that golden muffler and install it with glee. I saw a bone stock 6.7L running across the street at the Post Office yesterday and had to strain to tell if it was running. I miss the days of the sniperdiesel....
Old 10-19-2008, 07:05 AM

HaHa. For me I had diesel envy each time I saw/heard another CTD that was making some noise running down the road. I like to hear my truck running!! This 5.9 CAT is gonna take a bit more work than I thought. I'm gonna mess with it today...
Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 AM

Need some camera batteries?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:39 AM

No, I have a couple sets of batteries now.

Now all I need is for someone that did a complte exhaust delete to measure the ID and OD on both ends of the piece of pipe right before the muffler. I got the ends fixed up on the CAT today but I need to find out if I will need a different size adaptor on one end of this thing.
I used the air compressor to clean the CAT out yesterday. I was very funny to see that thing "Rolling Coal" while it was laying there on the ground!!!! LOL It was just pouring the black smoke out! It's nice and clean now though...
Maybe I'll take a picture for you........
Old 10-19-2008, 01:27 PM

You are talking about between the muffler and the delete pipe, right? It should be 4" ID/OD as it should be plain old thin wall exhaust tubing (<1/8" thickness). I can't say for 100% certain, though, as my short bed quad cab pickup didn't have this added section of pipe. My DPF ran right into the muffler.

Quick Reply: DPF Delete