3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

DPF clog due to LSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DPF clog due to LSD

Hi.

My Dad just had to get the DPF on his 07 6.7 (abt 45k miles) replaced because it was clogged. The truck left him on the side of the road with a trailer full of hay. Dealership told him it was clogged due to possibly running LSD at some point or several throuhgout its life. The said that in the early days of the ULSD/LSD changeover, many pumps, although sporting the ULSD tag, were probably still dispensing LSD. Now, I can understand that but I thought these motors were backwards compatable with the two fuels.
So could running a few tanks of LSD kill the DPF or is that just something the dealership is telling us because theyre just as stumped as us?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 PM

I don't know about that...

When you read the pumps they say "ULSD required for all vehicles 2007 and newer...Recommended for all diesel engines"

I don't think they are going to throw that tag on the pump unless it is really LSD...

From all the pumps I've seen recently, if it's LSD, the only place you can get it...where the semi's fill up, is clearly labeled LSD, and most of them will say, "all lanes ULSD".

So I don't know how you could confuse the two, plus LSD is very rare...

Sounds like you need to find another dealer...or cut that DPF off
Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, LSD can kill a DPF.

The DPF is the reason ULSD was mandated.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, LSD can kill a DPF.

The DPF is the reason ULSD was mandated.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 AM

LSD may have caused it or the stupid emissions system on his truck may not be regenning enough to keep the DPF clean.
My DPF is very clean standing in the corner of my shed.......
Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 PM

have you guys heard this, i was reading on another forum(thumpertalk- its motorcycles) and a guy posted this........

"I am a diesel technician at a Dealership. I am just curious about what problems people are having with the 6.7. I dont want to open up a can but we are having alot of problems with the particulate filter and regeneration stuff on the the 6.7s. The 5.9 doesnt have the same stuff on it and is still very reliable. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them. Dodge wanted to be the first truck company to meet the 2010 federal emissions standards. The 6.7 does meet those standards but there are some programing problems in the pcm and everything is not working right. From the factory the ecm on the truck will not tell the customer when the particulate filter is getting full so the customer never has a chance to drive the truck in such a way to force a regeneration. When this happens the intake and exhaust system gets packed full of soot."

here is the link

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...=686291&page=8

if this is true i would like the moderator to sticky this thread, i don't know the channels that need to be taken for that to happen.

our small family company has one of these trucks, my father drives it, hard at times so he may be ok but if its a problem, well ? what to do...............
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 AM

This is now old news. Many of us got tired of letting Dodge try to put a band aid on these problems so we just pulled it off the trucks. They run better, mileage goes way up, and we no longer have to worry about things getting clogged.

I just bought up a spare turbo that I intend to disassemble and clean and eventually put on my truck if I ever have any issues with the one that is on the truck now. I had lots of soot codes but my truck never went to the dealer for them. I now have over 2000 miles on my truck after doing the deletes...