3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Brother broke control arm

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brother broke control arm

My brother has an 08 3500. I was over at his place the other day, and was looking over his truck. The lower control arm on the passenger side was broken in two. Obviously it had dropped onto something very firm and hard. We removed it tonight, and putting the two pieces back together, it had bent up very steeply. He has no idea how he did it (he baby's the truck, and doesn't let anyone else drive it). But, the proof was there.
He had ordered a new arm from the local Dodge dealership, and the new one that came was tubular. Not rectangular like the original, but tubular like an aftermarket one for a lift kit. It fit fine, but being ****, he now is going to order one for the other side. Any ideas? Is this due to parts shortages/etc, or have they redesigned it?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hodge
My brother has an 08 3500. I was over at his place the other day, and was looking over his truck. The lower control arm on the passenger side was broken in two. Obviously it had dropped onto something very firm and hard. We removed it tonight, and putting the two pieces back together, it had bent up very steeply. He has no idea how he did it (he baby's the truck, and doesn't let anyone else drive it). But, the proof was there.
He had ordered a new arm from the local Dodge dealership, and the new one that came was tubular. Not rectangular like the original, but tubular like an aftermarket one for a lift kit. It fit fine, but being ****, he now is going to order one for the other side. Any ideas? Is this due to parts shortages/etc, or have they redesigned it?
They re-designed it for the 2010 trucks but they use a larger cam bolt at the axle so I would make sure his doesn't come loose.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:11 PM

The bushing hole was the same as the previous arm, so I think it will work fine. We will keep an eye on it, though.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Skyd Ram
They re-designed it for the 2010 trucks but they use a larger cam bolt at the axle so I would make sure his doesn't come loose.
I can understand this, but since when do you see the manufacturers use a new design as a parts replacement for a previous design?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM

I can understand this, but since when do you see the manufacturers use a new design as a parts replacement for a previous design?
They did the same thing with the new steering. It is partially because the old design was inferior and also to limit the amount of part numbers.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Big question is, how do you break something like that and not realize it... I'm not poking fun at...just sayin...
You guys take pictures of it?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=henry013.jpg

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=henry014.jpg

As you can see, the first photo shows how it must have been bent, before breaking. That was some impact- he doesn't remember doing it (I can hear your eyes rolling...), but the proof is there- the control arm was struck hard and bent up. He had to drop it on a rock, or a culvert, etc.- something hard and unmoving. At least it was easy to replace.

He has no idea when it happened, or how long he had been driving it with only one functional lower control arm...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same here...broken control arm.

Had the same problem here...Two employee use the control arm , to place the jack and change a damage tire.
The control arm was bended up, then a small crack and then...Well you know what happened.

I order replacement , and receive round as yours , call Dodge and they said to it was a new ver and it was OK...

Now i have to different control arm, hope to change soon , just cause i want them to look the same....
Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Did he have it worked on lately??? Looks kind of like the foot of a shop lift when you kick up the ends...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Asher
Did he have it worked on lately??? Looks kind of like the foot of a shop lift when you kick up the ends...
Nope. It hasn't been worked on. He (now) says that a while back, he had gotten stuck in the snow, and it was jumping up and down while he was spinning. He almost had to bounce it on something. Otherwise, he doesn't drive it everyday, and nobody else drives it.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 PM

Wow, that's a good one.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 PM

Yeah I don't see how you can do something like that and not know... But hey, it happens.. Glad to hear ya'll got it fixed, sounds like he is like me though with needing a new one for other side just so they match hahaha....
Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 AM

yes- it will be ordered soon. At $200 a pop, though, that OCD is expensive...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 AM

Wow,
You can do a full set of aftermarket control arms for a little more than that. Most will be stronger and have better bushings.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Skyd Ram
Wow,
You can do a full set of aftermarket control arms for a little more than that. Most will be stronger and have better bushings.
I agree. The new, tubular control arm he got is thin wall tubing, and is very light- just as light as the original one. It would crumble just as quickly as the rectangular one.

Do you know a good source for aftermarket control arms? I have done some searching, but can't find much, and there are no prices on the Carli site.

Quick Reply: Brother broke control arm