3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 Smog Testing

Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Smog Testing

Does anyone know if you are going to have it smog tested when it's time to re-new your registration.

This is for the ones who live in a state/area that does NOT have to smog diesels with the 5.9's.

See, if I decide to go and buy a new truck, I want know if I have to smog it. I'd be the one who'd remove all the crap that chokes it. I don't drive that much so I'd be clogging up the dpf constantly. My commute is only 2 miles to work.

I asked several dealers and I don't get a straight answer.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
if you're in an area where testing is required, emissions equipment that was part of the vehicle when manufactured has to be present before testing can proceed..... at least that's the way it was when i was in the business.
but some times it's over looked.
as far as i know diesels are only tested for opacity (soot,smoke)
Old 11-11-2008, 02:19 PM

If there is no testing for the new 6.7's then I'd take off the emissions stuff and store in the rafters/garage for future.

If there is testing/smog in CA., I'll pass and stay with the 5.9's.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Your 6.7 will have to be smog checked. When I was living in So Cal going to UTI I asked a CHP when I was living in Laguna and he told me the 5.9's were exempt since they were a 07 but 08's ect. would have to be checked. I never really had anyone say anything to me with my 5" Turbo Back but I also had a my cat and muffler still installed on my 07 5.9 so it wasnt to loud. I would be pretty careful pulling the dpf ect. off out there. They had some check points set up a few times when I came out of school where they were checking everyones cars for intakes, exhaust, engine swaps ect. I was exempt since I was tagged out of state but I would just be careful with the dpf deletes. And if you do I would deffinetly keep a muffler installed so its not loud enough to atract attention.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jtrimmell
Your 6.7 will have to be smog checked. When I was living in So Cal going to UTI I asked a CHP when I was living in Laguna and he told me the 5.9's were exempt since they were a 07 but 08's ect. would have to be checked. I never really had anyone say anything to me with my 5" Turbo Back but I also had a my cat and muffler still installed on my 07 5.9 so it wasnt to loud. I would be pretty careful pulling the dpf ect. off out there. They had some check points set up a few times when I came out of school where they were checking everyones cars for intakes, exhaust, engine swaps ect. I was exempt since I was tagged out of state but I would just be careful with the dpf deletes. And if you do I would deffinetly keep a muffler installed so its not loud enough to atract attention.
Ummm...what about the 07 6.7's?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:39 PM

Im not sure about the 07 6.7 With it being a 50 State engine im assuming it would have to be just like the 08's but im not 100% sure. From what I understood it was the 08 model year they were gonna start smog checking.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Smog Checks in California are coming soon (Jan. 1, 2010), but it won't matter if its 08 or newer. The new laws will test 98-and up. 97 and earlier should be exempt.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...ns/ab1488.html

Here's the skinny straight from the Govt's website:

"Implementation of AB 1488 – Test Procedures
BAR has been working with the ARB to develop inspection procedures that will include a:

Visual test
OBD test
Visible Smoke test"

As of yet, there is no actual emissions sniffing.

Also, any performance mods will have to be CARB-certified;

"Industry participants estimated that 50% of the diesel vehicles they currently service have been modified with aftermarket devices, oversized tires, etc. The ARB indicated that they cannot control tires, but Smog Check technicians will be required to fail vehicles with modified emission control equipment that have not been approved by the ARB. Approved devices will have a label with an ARB Executive Order number on it."

Basically, the fun is almost over!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:22 AM

Exclamation all 5.9's have no PCV system, just a road draft tube!

Originally Posted by Halibrand
Smog Checks in California are coming soon (Jan. 1, 2010), but it won't matter if its 08 or newer. The new laws will test 98-and up. 97 and earlier should be exempt.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...ns/ab1488.html

Here's the skinny straight from the Govt's website:

"Implementation of AB 1488 – Test Procedures
BAR has been working with the ARB to develop inspection procedures that will include a:

Visual test
OBD test
Visible Smoke test"

As of yet, there is no actual emissions sniffing.

Also, any performance mods will have to be CARB-certified;

"Industry participants estimated that 50% of the diesel vehicles they currently service have been modified with aftermarket devices, oversized tires, etc. The ARB indicated that they cannot control tires, but Smog Check technicians will be required to fail vehicles with modified emission control equipment that have not been approved by the ARB. Approved devices will have a label with an ARB Executive Order number on it."

Basically, the fun is almost over!
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...eduresVer5.pdf

So I have a 2005 5.9 with the OEM cat in place, But it still smokes on a "snap test" even with the bd power box taken off. So I guess it will fail even though it has "smoked out of the tail pipe and smokes a little with delo 400 out of the crank case vent tube since new.
I hate this stupid state because I know that the first time I take the truck in to be Smog tested it will fail b/c of the above mentioned smoke test. Most of these morons testing the vehicles will say "gee I see smoke" FAILED! and that will be $56.00 please......
Doug.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Location: This Nazi state of California 2nd home Gilbert AZ under God
Exclamation

It is going to be a ruff ride in California with the up coming testing. I sure hope people saved their old gear to put it back on!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Unbelievable... Now your at the whim of any idiot who thinks they may see a little smoke.

Thank God I dont live no where near California.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Ca diesel emissions.

Originally Posted by mpracehemi
If there is no testing for the new 6.7's then I'd take off the emissions stuff and store in the rafters/garage for future.

If there is testing/smog in CA., I'll pass and stay with the 5.9's.
Diesel emission testing is coming here starting 2010 for even numbered vins according to our smog tech at work. It doesn't matter if it's a 5.9 or 6.7. According to him,everything under the hood must be stock or have a CARB #. It'll consist of a visual,OBDII scan and an opacity test. Mufflers won't be an issue as well as tailpipes,tips etc. I would imagine decibel tests will be coming next as any aftermarket exhaust treatment violates EPA sound limits presently. This is for electronically controlled 98.5 diesel vehicles. Boy,the economy needs this!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:52 PM

I know that many states already have diesel testing, so this comes as no surprise to me. How about old Mercedes diesels? Are their days numbered?

garrett
Old 03-12-2009, 11:00 AM

I just recently put my cat back on my 04.5, the rest is straight 4". I did this to tone the noise down some. I haven't seen any drop in performance, increase in EGT's, mileage etc. I know it's a different situation for 6.7 guys though.