3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

6.7 fuel question w/ egr/cooler delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anyone explain why the truck runs like **** when i plug the egr valve back in. It acts like it's starving for fuel and then it blows white smoke while it's starving for fuel. Y'all got any ideas. And will the smartys give me MPG and some black somke. thanks y'all have helped me wonder and think a lot and given me some serious insite on this 6.7 of mine thanks again. Any other suggestions for anything are welcome @ kyledavis3@hotmail.com
Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like you're attempting to return your truck to stock or something now. If yout truck has been derated through the deletes you've done, you will need to return everything to stock and take it to a dealer to fix it on their computer.

You can't do any deletes without a programmer. What ever route you go get a programmer. The ONLY thing that I know of one can do without a programmer and not having your truck run like yours is to just unplug the EGR connector and get a CEL.

The S67ME should pretty much solve all your problems assuming you didin't have problems before all the deletes. Read this and follow the directions:

http://www.madselectronics.com/CodeF...EGRDelete.html
Old 02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Smarty will give you lower egts and will improve your fuel economy. Now that is directly related to the weight of your right foot.

Smarty will smoke some when aired out. It does not smoke very heavy though till you get into the upper limits of the programmer and have other mods in place (injectors, cp3 mods, etc)
Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Egr

If I just unplug the EGR, it will help the engine breath better? With no harm?
Just the light will be on.
Will the cel light go off after I plug the EGR back in ?
Will the dealer be able to tell that I had a EGR cel code ?

I want to do the mods but still have 60k worth of warrenities.

thanks for your answers

gordy
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 PM

It will help. The light will stay on, and will go away if you plug it back in. You may need a code reader to clear it though.

The dealer can tell if it was unpluged, but if everything else is in place just use the "Whats an EGR" routine. Play the Im just an idjit who drives a truck that uses diesel gas.

Lot of reading and debating on it here if you have 27 pages worth of time.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM

question

Why can't a Smarty67 or another controller be made to over the the fuctions of the EGR and all that is assoc. with it. Just hold everything open or closed as neccesary ?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
"California Style"

I believe that the S67 Does that. It commands the EGR to 0%.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:15 PM

??

Originally Posted by mega-engr
I believe that the S67 Does that. It commands the EGR to 0%.
If it does, than I assume that only part of what we really want to do is being accomplished. Still would need to delete the regen and DPF etc. There for a S67ME and its requirements would be needed to get a real free flowing intake and exhaust ?
thanks for your responce.

gordy

Man what happened to the 70's when I could fix anything with a spark plug ?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Navy7797
If it does, than I assume that only part of what we really want to do is being accomplished. Still would need to delete the regen and DPF etc. There for a S67ME and its requirements would be needed to get a real free flowing intake and exhaust ?
thanks for your responce.

gordy

Man what happened to the 70's when I could fix anything with a spark plug ?
That's the ticket - S67ME. You can get rid of everything emmisions related then. I started with the S67 and then downloaded the ME program to delete the exhaust/regen junk that I can put back on when needed. Everything worked prior to deleting. I'm sticking with the minimum deletes (no TBE, just delete pipe) at this point for smog and warantee if that becomes an issue.

I think this is a great value of performance and minimal pain to return to stock.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:45 PM

??

That's the ticket - S67ME. You can get rid of everything emmisions related then. I started with the S67 and then downloaded the ME program to delete the exhaust/regen junk that I can put back on when needed. Everything worked prior to deleting. I'm sticking with the minimum deletes (no TBE, just delete pipe) at this point for smog and warantee if that becomes an issue.

I think this is a great value of performance and minimal pain to return to stock.
Don't know squat so I have to ask, whats TBE ?
Pipe delete is the DPF and the cat converter ?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 AM
"California Style"

TBE = Turbo Back Exhaust.
Yes, the delete pipe replaces the NOX filter and DPF, not the CAT though. Delete pipe bolts in after the CAT and before the muffler, fairly easy to go back and forth if needed. Stock muffler is basically empty.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:58 AM

??

TBE = Turbo Back Exhaust.
Yes, the delete pipe replaces the NOX filter and DPF, not the CAT though. Delete pipe bolts in after the CAT and before the muffler, fairly easy to go back and forth if needed. Stock muffler is basically empty.
With the 67me you can replace the pipe and turn off all the other stuff, like regen. Do you still have to remove the EGR and block it or will the smarty keep it open/closed ? Does that have the same effect ?
I still have 60k miles of warrenties left don't want to remove too much.
Thanks again for educating me.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Navy7797
With the 67me you can replace the pipe and turn off all the other stuff, like regen. Do you still have to remove the EGR and block it or will the smarty keep it open/closed ? Does that have the same effect ?
I still have 60k miles of warrenties left don't want to remove too much.
Thanks again for educating me.
The Smarty will allow for everything to be bypassed in place as long as you follow the instructions on the website. Some things must be removed, such as the egr actuator valve and dpf and nox filter, but the egr cooler and cat in the down pipe can remain.

I just went for broke and got rid of everything. Its like running a big 5.9 now.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
The Smarty will allow for everything to be bypassed in place as long as you follow the instructions on the website. Some things must be removed, such as the egr actuator valve and dpf and nox filter, but the egr cooler and cat in the down pipe can remain.

I just went for broke and got rid of everything. Its like running a big 5.9 now.
That's right, you can go full tilt or just do the minimums like Blake said according to the Mads site. I did the minimum in order to be able to easily revert. I would love to fully mod and get rid of the vestiges, but don't want to have to put them ALL back on, just the easy ones. The EGR mod is a piece of cake, the exhaust is a heavy POS and still relatively easy to mod.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's right, you can go full tilt or just do the minimums like Blake said according to the Mads site. I did the minimum in order to be able to easily revert. I would love to fully mod and get rid of the vestiges, but don't want to have to put them ALL back on, just the easy ones. The EGR mod is a piece of cake, the exhaust is a heavy POS and still relatively easy to mod.
Ya you might wanna just do the minimum cause let me tell ya, when I took off my cooler it was a pain in the rear. I wont forget there was this one nut in the front that was nearly impossible to get off. I cursed and then had to drink another beer. If something happens to where i have to put it back on, im going to hate life......but with all that said im extremely happy with it off.

Quick Reply: 6.7 fuel question w/ egr/cooler delete