3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'09 Dodge or '08 Tundra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever drive/find any Ford or GMs with the tow package.They are geared similar to the Dodge(3.92) and are 6 speed auto trucks with the 5.4 3 valve and 6.2 GM engine?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:43 PM

LeonT,
Just curious. What was the price on the tricked out Dodge 1500 you looked at?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Here's a neat story...

A long-time friend in Texas has always loved Toyotas and GM products. A few years ago he picked up a leftover 2003 RAM 3500 QC dually 4x4 and bought a truck camper. Used it for a few years, decided he wasn't into truck campers or duallies. He sold both.

Got one of the new Tundras and a nice Jayco travel trailer. Has had this setup for I think almost two years.

Recently he has expressed interest in selling the Toyota and going back to a Dodge. He wants a used 2500/3500 QC SRW 4x4 6-sp manual. Says he misses the feeling of a "real" truck and wants something he can keep for years without worrying about it. And get better mileage than his Tundra.

So now he's on the slow hunt for just the right 04-06 truck. This from a guy who has owned several Toyota trucks.

Rob
Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 AM

Bought the Ford today

Well guys. I took my wife to look at all of them yesterday. She liked the Tundra the best. She hated the Dodge. Thought it was ugly and wasn't impressed with the inverter plug or the little built-in ice chests. I made a smoking deal on a Tundra up in Prescott yesterday by phone and was supposed to pick it up today. While driving up I stopped at Earnhardt Ford in Chandler. Looked at their trucks, picked out a gray 4X4 crew cab, told them to write up the deal, gave them a check, and drove away.

I couldn't go through with the Toyota. This Ford is made at the Dearborn, MI truck plant, by Americans, and is an American company. I am very happy with the quality of the truck, it drives great, has tons of rear seat room, bluetooth for phone, built-in trailer brake controller, fold down step on the tailgate with the handle which makes it very easy to get into the bed, satellite radio, rear view camera and sonar, 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain warranty. It's a pretty truck. I'm going to lift it (modestly - probably just a 2.5 inch leveling kit) and put some larger off road tires on it (probably 33's, nothing too big).

I apologize again for taking so long on this, but I'm a slow mover and big researcher. The Ford has terrific crash test results too (the older I get the more attention I pay to these things). I know it's not much, but I hope I did my little part to help this country. I'm proud that Ford didn't take any bailout money. The GM 1/2 tons I looked at were all made in Mexico and had smaller back seats. I still thought they were nice trucks, same with the Dodge 1/2 ton. I wish the GM 1/2 ton trucks were all made here (I hear some are), just like I wish our big Dodge trucks were made here instead of Saltillo, Mexico. Oh well.

Not taking a shot at any of you who own Toyotas or GMs. Please don't take it the wrong way. This is just the decision I came to when the rubber hit the road today.

I'll try to post a picture of the new ride. My wife and kids love it. Quiet, nice ride, smooth, and will do everything I need it to do. I usually put a camper shell on my small trucks, but I think I may just get one of those roll-back bed covers this time.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by mdbrown
LeonT,
Just curious. What was the price on the tricked out Dodge 1500 you looked at?
They were taking about $10,000 off. Smokin' deal. There is a Dodge dealership in Phoenix (Power Dodge) that had the best deals on 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons I found anywhere. They were going to sell me a $51,000 Mega for $38,000 plus tax and title. The other dealers were incredulous at this and said they couldn't touch it.

I only bought the Ford because I respect my wife's opinion and always include her on the big decisions. If not for her, I would have bought the Dodge and put a 4" Mopar/KORE lift and bigger tires on it. All factory warranted and dealer installed. I believe the lift retails for just under $4,000 installed, but they'll deal on them. It looks awesome.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 AM

Tundra tranny made in U.S.

To the guy who asked about the Tundra tranny being made in the U.S. - I looked again at the sticker on the Tundra, and both the engine and tranny are U.S. made. Also, I said the Tundras were "90%" U.S./Canadian parts, and they're actually 80% U.S./Canadian parts. Sorry about that.

I didn't have a camera to take a picture of the window sticker, but it was plain as day regarding the tranny being U.S. made.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:43 AM

Wife and I looked a little yestersay after a Doctors appointment I had.Well the Chevy store and Gmc store had NO inventory.So on to the Ford store.Had a few Crew cabs with those itty bitty beds.I want a Quad Cab.Only a couple of them and one was black.I won't buy black.Anyhow my wife said SHE liked the Dodges plus the dealer in Athens has inventory.Like 40 of them.Didn't buy but still would LIKE to drive a Ford 2wd and see.If I could ONLY find a 5.4 6 speed(had none of them eaither) only 4.6 6 speeds.(one)
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM

I'm a pretty anti-ford guy, I've owned a few of them and got a bad taste. But I am proud of them for not taking bailout money, and the last I heard, they were gonna redo some of the union stuff to help keep themselves above water. Great news, and much respect for Ford.

Might have to give Ford another look when I'm ready for my next truck, half ton diesel please.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:39 PM

OK, I know I'm gonna get killed here, but if you are simply looking for a "grocery getter" that can be used occasionally for light duty towing - have you considered the Honda Ridgeline in 4wd? No, you won't be loading 4 bales of hay into the bed, but you already have a truck that will handle that.

You can get the Ridgeline as spartan or as plush as any truck on the market. Claimed mileage won't quite be up to that claimed by the big 3, but then again, I'm not sure I believe the mileage claims made by them anyway - they are pushing around a lot of air given their frontal aerodynamics, to say nothing of the air they are catching under the chasis. You know where it says on the sticker, "your mileage may vary", well on the fullsized trucks offered by Ford, Chevy or Dodge, trust me, it will!!

One other thing about the Hondas - they are really dependable.

Now, if you what you really want and would be happy with is a fullsized pickup rated at 20 mpg, that under real driving conditions will get 17 on the road, and then put bigger (wider/taller) tires on it that will catch more air, and then raise it so the truck body will catch more air still, and end up with the same size truck as you currently have that makes 15 mpg - then by all means go with one of the big 3.

In the final analysis, get what makes you happy. It is after all, your money.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM

I never really considered a Ridgeline because they are too small. I did look at the Avalanches because my brother owns two of them and he loves them. They have been very reliable, and he is not known for taking care of cars.

I'm very happy with this Ford so far. I plan on putting a leveling kit and some 285/75-18 BFG ATs on it next week.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:42 AM

I own a 07 Tundra crewmax 4x4 and love it when the wife lets me drive it. And regarding where the are from they are majority of parts from America and built in San Antonio. More room than anything on the market except the Mega Cab and way more power than any gasser. Havent had one problem with it except the factory Michellin tires are crap. They are needing to be replaced at 30,000.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:29 PM

Best wishes, LeonT, and enjoy the truck. That's what it's all about!!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 PM

I'm shocked at the Honda/Toyota thing on a Dodge site(Dodge,about as American as you can get) I never knew a Ridgeline was even considered a truck.Thought it was one of those things they call a 'crossover'.All things considered I just can't get into a Jap/Import vehicle frame of mind with the state of the economy in THIS country and the quality of THOSE and OURS are not really that far apart in this decade.I saw a SUV with a BUDGET RENT A CAR tag on it.A KIA.OMG! Budget Rent a Car is really doing THEIR PART to help.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:18 AM

What engine / trans combo does the new Ford have?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 AM

You want to talk american made and the status of the economy. While Chevy was asking for bailout money from our country they are building a new plant out of the US to outsource their diesel productions. And Ford has been working from Mexico for years. Not a single one of the BIG THREE is an American company nor do they make a truly American truck. The times have changed thats the way it is.
Originally Posted by Hounddog
I'm shocked at the Honda/Toyota thing on a Dodge site(Dodge,about as American as you can get) I never knew a Ridgeline was even considered a truck.Thought it was one of those things they call a 'crossover'.All things considered I just can't get into a Jap/Import vehicle frame of mind with the state of the economy in THIS country and the quality of THOSE and OURS are not really that far apart in this decade.I saw a SUV with a BUDGET RENT A CAR tag on it.A KIA.OMG! Budget Rent a Car is really doing THEIR PART to help.

Quick Reply: '09 Dodge or '08 Tundra?