3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Zerex 618-1 Extended Life

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 PM
DMH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I am thoroughly confused now concerning anti-freeze.

Just got back from the local NAPA dealer, where I was talking to the counter person about the requirements for my truck. The Zerex Long Life, in a 50/50 mix is redish in color and the Zerex G-05 (which, according to them is HOAT) is yellowish/goldish in color. I went out to my truck to check the color that is in my system now and it is reddish in color. So what do I have in my cooling system?

If I buy the Zerex G-05, which is yellowish/goldish in color, will or do I have to completely drain my system to use it? I don't want to add the Zerex G-05 to my system if I should happen to have the other stuff in there. I know I shouldn't have the other stuff in there, but what if I do?

By the way, the stuff that is in there came from the factory that way. I am the original owner of this rig and have never done a coolant flush on it yet, but it is time that I do it and I want to make sure that I buy the right stuff.

Also, something else they told me that really added to the confusion is that HOAT is a mixture of OAT and the regular green stuff that everyone has used for years.

Any of you guys have the red colored stuff in you cooling system from the factory?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DMH
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Color doesn’t necessarily mean what you might think. Ford’s G-05 (HOAT) coolant is dyed a yellow/gold, as is the Zerex G-05. The same antifreeze in Chrysler/Dodge products is dyed orange. With that said, I have witnessed a coolant color variation in several of the Dodge Ram 2500 CTDs that I maintain as one of my job responsibilities. So far, I have witnessed red, orange and pink dyed factory coolant.

Given that you are the original owner and have not performed a coolant flush, then it contains Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) factory coolant. Have you had any work performed on the vehicle that would have required the shop add to the coolant? If not,I would bet that you have factory coolant with a variation in dye color.

HOAT coolant is considered a Hybrid Organic Acid Technology formula which is low in silicates and contains benzoate. The conventional green or IAT (Inorganic Additive Technology) coolant contains a large dose of silicates and benzoates as well; however, each formulation contains specific inhibitors and additives that have been developed to meet automotive manufacturers’ specific needs for warranty and/or maintenance intervals. Generally speaking, OAT formulated coolants contain no silicates or borates but, contain inhibitors and additives that IAT and HOAT formulated coolants do not. Given that information, HOAT is not an exact mixture of OAT and conventional green coolant.

If you have the factory coolant in the vehicle, then it is not necessary to drain the system entirely to use the Zerex G-05.

Last edited by Dr.Dizzle; 04-13-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-12-2010, 08:32 PM
DMH

Dr Dizzle;

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have never had anyone do anything that required the addition of any coolant.

So...I will buy the G-05 and do my replace and keep my mind at ease.

Again, Thank you,
DMH
Old 04-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Your welcome.

When performing a coolant flush/replacement, I recommend using distilled water because it is virtually free of unwanted chemicals and minerals. Contaminates can compromise the integrity of the cooling system components and consequently reduce the coolants' effective life expectancy.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 PM

What is the Cummins coolant you can buy at the local Cummins dealer? We have several in my area and their parts are way cheaper than other places.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:36 PM

Fleetguard (Cummins) has several coolants available for purchase. The ES Compleat line is available in sevaral variations. Fleetcool is available in three variations. Fleetguard also offers a Heavy Duty Antifreeze/Coolant. The coolants mentioned are Organic Acid Technology formulations or OAT variations recommended for all "heavy duty" cooling systems. Fleetguard does not offer a G-05 formulated HOAT coolant at this time. The Dodge Ram requires the (Glysantin) G-05 HOAT chemistry which meets and/or exceeds the following industry, performance and engine specifications: Chrysler MS9769, Ford WSS-M97B51-A1, ASTM D3306. The list of four available G-05 coolants (noted in my previous post) is up to date.

Both Ford and Chrysler do not recommend using unapproved extended life OAT formulated coolants or equivalents in their vehicles and state that improper maintenance may invalidate the warranty of the cooling system. In addition, many vehicles are not designed for organic acid, extended life coolants. For example, Daimler/Chrysler is reported to have experienced solder corrosion issues in heater cores with some OAT formulations, prior to adopting the G-05 formulation.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the Zerex G-05 HOAT stuff. 11 bucks a gallon at NAPA int he STL, MO area. Bought a flushing compound since I had been running oat and hoat. The dealer wanted 18 a gallon and it is red in color now. The Zerex was clear. Bottom line is don't mix if you can avoid it or you are stuck in a jam don't let it go 3k miles. The stuff that came out of the radiator was black with hint of red. Alot of rust and metal settled to the bottom of the jugs, after a few days. Two bottles of flushing agent and 15 gallons of distilled water later it finally started to clean up but rust was starting to form with all the straight water. Since the system was mostly distilled water i added 2 gallons of the zerex directly to the block and 2 in the radiator topped off with distilled and all looks good now. Solved the over heating problem as well towing my 5'er.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shonne
I was at NAPA over the weekend getting parts and noticed this antifreeze, Zerex 618-1 Extended Life. I gotta change mine soon and wondered if anyone was using it. It is Cummins 14603 approved.

It costs about $11 a gallon at NAPA.

Vendor info here: http://www.valvoline.com/products/co.../antifreeze/43
The black jug is wrong it should be gold It will have G-05 on the jug this is hoat .Go to www.Valvoline.com you can see it there go prouducts then antifreeze it does not say G-05 On the black jug.But it looks like the same milage.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:37 PM

This is my 1st post and I have been doing alot of reading about antifreeze and what I need to replace.

Dr.dizzle after reading the post on this thread you finally helped me make up my mind on what antifreeze I need to go with on my 03 Cummins.
I bought the truck used in May with 46,000 miles on it from a private sale, the truck has been well maintained. The guy I bought it from is the original owner and said the cooling system needs to be changed since it is now over 60 months.

I nearly bought the Fleetcharge from NAPA but then I realized there was not anything on the label stating it was HOAT. I understand I need the antifreeze for my 03 with HOAT formula in it.

Looks like I'm leaning toward getting the Zerex brand as long as it does'nt have the Propylene Glycol in it.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

03 Dodge Cummins 4x2
Shortbed Quadcab
Old 06-18-2010, 05:15 PM

The Zerex G-05 as noted in post number 10 is ethelyne glycol based. I use it because it is cost effective when compared to the other three collants listed. Each of the coolants are ethylene glycol based HOAT formulations as well and suitable for use in the 3rd gen Dodge Ram. The Zerex G0-5 is available over the counter at NAPA as they carry the entire Valvoline line. The other three coolants are available at their respective dealers and will more than likely cost significantly more. I have however found the Ford Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant sale priced at 11.99 per gallon. The HOAT formulated coolants are specified by three manufacturers and unfortunately they lack availability and popularity in the United States. However, there are four HOAT options available.
The list of coolants is as follows.

Mopar 5 Year/100,000 Mile with (HOAT) Embittered

Ford / Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant - Ford Part #VC-7A

Mercedes Benz Antifreeze Agent - Part # Q 103 0002

Valvoline Zerex G-05 Hoat - Available in concentrate. The NAPA part # is ZXG051.

Last edited by Dr.Dizzle; 06-18-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 PM

set2520

Welcome to the DTR!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks again for all the info, it has been very helpful!

03 Dodge Cummins 4x2
Shortbed Quadcab