3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

A-word dual remote bypass system installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking A-word dual remote bypass system installed!!

Well I have to post and say that this is a serious kit, and definitely THE way to do it for a 3rd gen. I got the bmk 15 dual bypass kit from Amsoil, and the billet filter mount and mounting kit from CPFF/John Strenkowski.

THE KIT IS 100% BOLT ON, repeat - no drilling, no tapping, no funny oil cap with a fitting in it.

Basically it's a bmk-15 kit, but John makes his own(stronger/better) billet oil filter mount adapter, which screws directly where your old stratapore was, onto the oil filter mounting threads. From this comes two fittings, which hoses run from, to the bypass filter head from Amsoil. The bypass filter head unit is bolted to the truck with one bolt and a custom plate John has. The location is totally protected, and the hose runs to the filter mount are as SHORT as possible. Both are just 13", and are in a relatively straight line. All of Amsoils hydraulic hose fittings are used, which once you set up right, should be pretty unflappable.

Whats best is that John's kit comes with about 13 pages of instructions, with PICTURES of each step of the install, to guide you thru. This is no half japanese half english tech babble instruction sheet Anyone ever put together a desk from office depot they bought in a box?

I will post pics a little later. I'm not sure if I can post his info or prices or what, but if I can let me know and if not PM me. I stand to make no money from this, but I wanted to recommend John and his kit because it's great, and he custom makes them just for Dodge Cummins! He also helped walk me thru the install yesterday(a sunday afternoon) and was totally patient and helpful. I guess he makes some kind of 'killer dowel pin' for 2nd gens, although I have no idea what that is.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dito Lightman, I got that same system on my truck , its awesome . I installed mine above the stabilizer bar and behind radiator (check my pics). Where does the system your talking about (different plate) get mounted? Let me know when you get pictures I'm just curious if theres a safer place to mount system than where I put it. Thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 12:54 AM

did you guys drop any oil pressure after installing the dual by-pass? STY
Old 04-28-2004, 04:38 AM

Ive got the AMSOIL By-Pass system on mine and it's just dandy. I had a mount made to mount it on the engine.
I'v got pictures on my members page.
The oil pressure drop was noted when I first went to AMSOIL. It has stayed the same since I put on the By-Pass.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:19 AM

Do any of you guys have a humming or resonance coming from the setup? Mine is mounted quite solidly, hoses are short/straight/not touching anything, and I have a rpm related humm coming from the filters....
Old 04-28-2004, 08:19 AM

Oh, and oil pressure comes up as quickly as before. I only have two 9" hoses going two/from the oil filter head...
Old 04-28-2004, 08:20 AM

Now if only I had a 9" hose....ooops this is a family forum!
Old 04-28-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Lightman
Do any of you guys have a humming or resonance coming from the setup? Mine is mounted quite solidly, hoses are short/straight/not touching anything, and I have a rpm related humm coming from the filters....
Proabably caused by the oil flow itself. The solid mounting is probably also contributing; you may want to see if you can "soften" up or isolate your mount with something between the filter mounting and engine/body? Ala resilient mounts we like to use in the Navy, or rubber mounts that H-D likes to use.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:18 PM

Bulabula, it's really rained on my parade, I gotta tell ya. I was so excited about the install and posted, and then came the humming It increases incrementally with RPM. John/CPFF has suggested, as did Amsoil, that this humming is coming from the oil pump pulses, and it's resonating down thru the system. They say it always makes that noise but its not noticeable with the filter mounted to the block.. I'm not sure if it's that or the mount, but it's killing me . I put a few layers of dynamat sound deadener between the mount and metal of the truck, but no real difference... Anyone else have this humming and fix it? I don't know if I can live with it, and was really excited about having this dual remote setup
Old 04-28-2004, 05:18 PM

Lightman, take a good look at everywhere/anywhere the vibrations can pass from the oil system to the truck. Including the hoses. Make sure they're secured and not able to rub or resonate on anything.

I'm guessing the resonance is passing thru the mounting bolts that secure the mounting bracket to the body. The mats probably help, but the vibs still have an easy path thru the bolts themselves.

I haven't seen any pics yet..........that was a hint; but is the filter mounting bracket kind of hanging "out there" where the oil pulses can get the bracket and filters vibrating pretty good? As the engine speed increases, I bet the frequency and magnitude of the pulses increase.

Before you move the filters and bracket, is there a way to better dampen the bodies of the oil filters? Blocking them or supporting them from the bottom maybe? To minimize the vib's before they get to the body.

Maybe there are some resilient mounts available where you bolt the new mount to the body, then bolt the other portion to your bracket; with a large rubber donut in between for isolation.

You can put engineer on your resume now.....

Where's those bubblehead's when you need them?
Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 PM

Here are some initial pics, however since then i've shortened the hoses yet for straighter runs, and almost eliminated all felt vibration in the hoses. They aren't touching anything that would make the noise. I will update the gallery with more recent pics a bit later, but picture the same mount, with a bit of dynamat shoved in between.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...p?userid=17021
Old 04-29-2004, 01:40 AM

Okay, i think I see why you are having the DRONE. Your hoses are too short and because the filters are mounted to the body and not the engine. Your hose don't give enough for the engine movement and they don't follow the AMSOIL instructions for proper routing of the hoses.
Take a look at my photo's and you willl see a different type and area mount that does not require any drilling or anything. All I did was use the 2 holes on the side of the engine to mount the mount to. The only thing you have to make sure of is that the hoses stay away from the turbo and exhaust.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:22 AM

SuperGewl - Originally my hoses were longer, and the vibration felt in the hoses was pretty intense. Since I've straightened them (which I said in posts above - the pics on the link are slightly outdated), the vibration has much since lessened, and the drone/humming noise is reduced. Hard to tell which was which, since I dynamatted the mount as well, but the lines are vibrating less etc.

My mounting didn't require any drilling, but I'm always open to try something else... SuperGewl - its not evident to me from the pics where exactly your bracket is mounted to, or what holes you used. Time to go pop the hood and look around.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:28 AM

I just bought a brand new truck and was wondering is after 500-1000 miles too soon to change out my 'factory' oil, put in synthetic 5w-40 (for the winter starting power and MPG savings), and put in a dual bypass system????

Also hearing the above problems that Lightman had what is the fix? I mean why does some of the other people on this board NOT have this problem??

I am new to this board and the Cummins diesel world. I just sold my Ford Powerstroke 7.3 liter and spent the last 18 months learning about that.

So any help would be great. Where is the best deals for this, best mounting kits, and most important what do I need to do to make sure that I do not have the problems Lightman ran into?

Is everyone else using a different mounting kit? Please let me know where I can get info on these mounting kits and where people are getting the best deals for dual bypass kits and synthetic oils, etc.....
Old 04-29-2004, 09:34 AM

Johhny V, please start a different thread with these questions, as we like to stay on topic. Just a note - my probs are not related to synthetic oil, but an aftermarket filtration system. Do a search on synthetic oil instead of posting actually, there are more posts than you can read..

Quick Reply: A-word dual remote bypass system installed!!