3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Wont start help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wont start help!!

06 auto with edge juice with att. Been having to crank longer to get it started the last couple of days, then tonight nothing just crank no smoke, nothing. I did notice a little blue smoke this afternoon when i started (not from being cold, truck was just running before that). Fuel filter seems ok, I can blow air back through it with my mouth. Would just replace, but local shop is out until tomorrow. Lift pump pushes fuel up to the filter. I have fuel at the rail i cracked an injector line and got fuel but it didn't seem like that much pressure. What should the pressure be like at the rail? Last night when i checked on the edge there was no codes. I unhooked the chip thinking that that might be the problem but still got nothing. Anyone have any ideas what to do next.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you have no rail pressure.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 PM

Well i think either i need a new fuel filter, hopefully, or i need a new cp3. I hope that is not the case. Will get a new filter tomorrow. Cranked long enough to get it to run tonite. I think it finally builds enough pressure to run. anybody ever have an injector pump go out on these? Once its running it seems to run fine. I know the lift pump is working i checked it by pulling the filter and hitting the key, pumps like crazy. So the problem has to be beyond that. Never had any problems till yesterday.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:04 PM

Pull the filter and then try to start it. If it runs normally then yes the filter is toast. If it still doesn't run then you cp3 is toast adn blame it on the mods. No warranty work there.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:03 AM

i would check the rail pressure while cranking before just goin out and buying a cp. could be fca or injector. cranking psi should be at least 6k or higher. i would assume that if the cp was bad it wouldnt run or it would run rough, never had one go bad tho
Old 10-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Banned

Cap the rail relief valve for a test. If it is bad you will not make any rail pressure.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuperGewl
Pull the filter and then try to start it. If it runs normally then yes the filter is toast. If it still doesn't run then you cp3 is toast adn blame it on the mods. No warranty work there.
Don't run without a filter unless you reall want to trash the CP3 and the injectors.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rich
i would check the rail pressure while cranking before just goin out and buying a cp. could be fca or injector. cranking psi should be at least 6k or higher. i would assume that if the cp was bad it wouldnt run or it would run rough, never had one go bad tho
where do i hook in to test pressure or what do i need to do this. It looks like there is a pressure sensor in the rail, can i just pull the electronic one and hook a gauge in there to test it? Or is that something else. I have 54,000 on it and as far as i understand they wont warranty the fuel system under the 100,000 miles warranty anyways. Looks like what ever it is going to be is coming out of pocket.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Don't run without a filter unless you reall want to trash the CP3 and the injectors.
Thought about running without the filter, but decided it wasnt worth it. I'm thinking that its not the filter anyways. Anytime i've had bad filters its been the opposite way, i can get them to start but not make power.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 AM

Could be and injector like Rich said. Mine did the same thing.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 AM

is their a rail pressure gauge setting on the edge. if so then it will give you a pressure reading.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:14 PM

If it you crank long enough and it ran likely not the pump. You aren't making oil are you? I wouldn't recommending cracking lines on these trucks as that can be very dangerous but since you did and and didn't spew my guess is an injector is leaking back to much fuel. That is likely the cause of your hard start. if you have been running a pressure box then likely the rail pressure valve is stuck open. IF the pump failed it should have thrown a code. Every CP3 that has failed that I know of has thrown a code. Can't remeber the code but it had them. Anything is possible through.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:21 PM

the fuel system last time i checked is part of the motor and warrantied, the only thing is you have a mod and if they find it or know about it. they will not honor it
Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM

If i'm building oil, could i have a leak under the valve cover. I'm pretty sure that i havent washed a cylinder with a bad injector, but who knows. Gonna swap out relief valves and see that helps.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:23 PM

are you saying that you have more oil in your crankcase then whats supposed to be there. if so then its a cracked injector or a bad tube

Quick Reply: Wont start help!!