3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Won't Start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't Start!!!

my truck will not start unless accelerator pedal is pushed to the floor. last 6 months truck has been getting harder to start. first bought truck , it would start quick, only have to turn over a couple of times, gradually has gotten worse. truck would start cold but after it warmed up, would not start. stranded me last week until I figured out I could push accelerator to floor and it would start. lift pump has been changed to tank, fuel filter is changed regularly....2003 ram 3500 5.9 diesel........no codes......
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 AM

not to funny

going throught the problem now have fun
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM

If you have acess to a service manual, I would first start looking at the TPS (throttle position sensor) since it will start with your foot on the floor. Then I would test the MAP (manifold absolute pressure). I see that you don't have any gauges, it's tough to tell if you have a fuel flow problem to the injector pump, low injection pressure, dirty injectors or cracked injectors.

Here are some things that you can look for:

Check to see if the oil level has gone up & has a diesel smell to it. That would be a cracked injector.

When it starts up you have white smoke but no noticable raise in oil level or diesel smell in oil, you probly need to run injector cleaner. It would be a clogged injectors.

If you had gauges for fuel & injection pressure, you could tell if you had good pressure to the injector pump, but low injection pressure, it could be one of two things:
1) rail pressure relief valve gone bad (but you would also be low on full power). This would be more likely than #2. How does the truck feel once running & pulling a load?

2) failing injector pump. That would have to be tested at a service shop for output pressure.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM

oil level is normal, does not smell like diesel. haven't noticed any white smoke. when truck starts run great, have not pulled trailor since this started. I run power service fuel treatment and have ran howe's meaner cleaner. when truck runs for awhile, it will not start unless you use ether. I know this is a no-no, but I had to get it home,only did it once. I'm not sure how to test tps or map sensor..........THANKS........where is the best place to buy guages.