3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Why the baffle

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the baffle

Why would DC put all that junk in the air tube going to the turbo. Read thread about this, but had no idea that it was that bad well took it off pried end that was glued removed baffle glued back together took truck down road no deference in sound. I don't know if it will affect performance just have to waite and see. Has anyone seen any deference after the removal. This was on a 2003 3500.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:41 PM

on my 05, after the baffling was removed ( the one in the elbow too ) took out the silencer ring and put in a k&n air filter it was significantly louder. im guessign they did all that to just quiet em down...they dropped the turbo down lower too, to make it more quiet.....they are tryng to turn them into luxury vehicles!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:02 PM

Didn't remove silencer ring just yet wanted to see how much noise it would make with just baffle removed. On my 03 didn't see but just the one baffle.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Banned

auto manufactures must also meet noise pollution standards as well, this was one way to meet that.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 PM

I removed mine aswell as the silencer ring, it took a while for me to tune into the sound, I still have the stock air filter set up, but I can definately hear the turbo alot louder without the baffles.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jpajax
Didn't remove silencer ring just yet wanted to see how much noise it would make with just baffle removed. On my 03 didn't see but just the one baffle.
well on the bottom end of that tube there is an elbow going to the turbo, and there is a plastic piece in it...i dont know if it helps or hurts it, but i know fancy intakes do not have them.....and i jsut realized they may have not had it on the 03's...doesnt hurt to look i guess
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 PM

i cut a big hole on the side of the box that made it louder too
Old 01-05-2007, 01:45 PM

I just yanked the silencer ring and the baffles in the bottom elbow. Still have the baffles in the straight section between the elbows. Not too much louder, actually, not loud enough. In a quick ride around the block, I noticed my boost only going to 37 psi, when before I could get 40. Maybe it's just me.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The baffles in the elbow are turning vanes and are there to turn the air through the curve without inducing excessive turbulence - in engineering terms, it's a flow straightening device. This improves turbocharger efficiency since the turbocharger impeller isn't trying to compress turbulent air flow. The noise you hear when these vanes are removed is turbocharger horsepower that's being used to produce sound energy instead of compressed air.

Rusty
Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
The baffles in the elbow are turning vanes and are there to turn the air through the curve without inducing excessive turbulence - in engineering terms, it's a flow straightening device. This improves turbocharger efficiency since the turbocharger impeller isn't trying to compress turbulent air flow. The noise you hear when these vanes are removed is turbocharger horsepower that's being used to produce sound energy instead of compressed air.

Rusty
This man knows what hes talking about well said Rusty

Rooster
Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 PM

so it is kind of like the thingy they ty to push on TV called thr tornado or cyclone or something like that.

helps reduce turbulance and improve blablablabla..

i am sure that the engineer's that thought got a " 'atta boy" for it

still sounds like snake oil to me

I like thingd to flow a freely as possible air , fuel , Whiskey ; it's all the same.

In my humble opinion if they wanted to improve air flow and create less turbulance the would have put channels/ veins on the walls of the air tube in a spiral confuguration ( kinda like the 'nerf' spiral football) running the length of the entire tube
this would reduce turbulance and been less restrictive
Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Nope you dont want it to spin,that just creates turbulence and lowers cfm,trust me I build and repair ductwork in powerhouses and all the bends have flow straightners in them....remove the silencer ring and the baffles in the straight part of the duct,but leave the little white turning vanes in the elbow just before turbo....this isnt theory or snakeoil,its proven technology,granted,you might not notice see a big improvement with them but I GUARANTEE it wont run any better or flow more air without them
Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 PM

nothing going anywhere for 3yrs or 36k miles
Old 01-05-2007, 10:30 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the three of you that mentioned not much in cab noise after removing baffles, get yourself an after market intake/filter.

I got an S&B set up off of Ebay a few months back, left the silencer ring intact..................This thing whistles niiiiiiiiice!

When I first did the install I was thinking "while I'm in here", then after I thought about it I figured I better leave it be for now and take it out later if I feel the need. I can say with 100% certainty, I will never desire more in cab turbo noise.

It may even get to the point of annoying the way it is while towing distances. Longest I have pulled (a relatively light load) was about 30 miles recently. It wasn't too bad, but any more would get out of hand.

Just my opinion.
BTW, I got the S&B for around $180.00 shipped and am very pleased with it overall.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 PM

I removed the baffle by substituting an 8" piece of 5" exhaust pipe for the entire baffle housing. I had to tighten the clamps a little tighter to compensate for a little less diameter, but it works.

Quick Reply: Why the baffle