3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Who,s running amsoil in your Diffs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MonkeyLips
Getting the striker going here...hate to break the news, but neither Delvac 1 nor Mobile 1 Truck & SUV is actually API certified. I have yet to find any 15w/40, 5w/40, or 5w/30 diesel oil that is actually API "CERTIFIED." The only oils I've found with the "API CERTIFIED" starburst symbol are gasser some 0w/30s, 5w/20's and most 5w/30s and 10w/30s. When you have time, take a look at the oil bottles at wally world. It's really quite surprising. It looks like when an oil manufacturer says it meets the API spec, we have to take their word for it..."API CERTIFIED" gets tossed about rather loosely.
I'm looking at a bottle of Truck and Suv right now, and it has the API service symbol right on the bottle. Licensed to meet CI-4 by the API. That is all that manufacturers that have the choice to honor/void your warranty are after, which is the point. This donut is only allowed to be on API licensed oils, which is why Amsoil doesn't display it, aside from 3 lower end oils they sell. Below is a quote from the API website.

"API's Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS) is a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers who meet specified requirements to use the API Engine Oil Quality Marks—the API Service Symbol "Donut" and Certification Mark "Starburst." This program is a cooperative effort between the oil industry and vehicle and engine manufacturers Ford, General Motors, and DaimlerChrysler; the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association; and the Engine Manufacturers Association. Performance requirements, test methods, and limits are cooperatively established by vehicle and engine manufacturers, technical societies like the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and industry associations like the American Chemistry Council and API. Oils meeting these requirements are recommended by vehicle manufacturers."
Old 01-29-2005, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI - I did my first diff. change at 30,000 and switched to redline 75w90NT(no fiction modifier) the original stuff wasn't to bad. The 75w90 Redline will give you a little chatter during tight cornering. I just changed it agian at 61,000 the fluid was spotless,I wouldn't of changed it if I knew it was that clean. But this time I changed it to Redline 75W90(with friction modifier)that's what there tech recommend they said it will only help not hurt. It seems to be working great no chatter or nothing. And yes my LSD is working fine. I will probably go 50,000 before my next change.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:17 AM

Just out of curiosity, I went out into my garage and grabbed a bottle of leftover Mobile 1 Synthetic 75W-90 off the shelf......at the very bottom, it states "exclusive of additive carrier oil." There is an asterisk next to it which lead me back to the top finding the other asterisk stating "full synthetic." I could be wrong, but that leads me to believe that there is a Limited Slip Additive to it.....Not sure if the LSD is a bad thing however, my Dodge Repair manual states in bold letters: "TracRite Differentials do not require Limited Slip Additive." Using the words "do not require" leads me to believe it won't hurt using it....if it did, I'm sure they would have worded it "do not use." or something to that affect. All this being said, I'm wondering if hearing a bit of chatter is normal? I may have to drop the AAM tech. line an e-mail and get their cut on it.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Yes guys, all of these diff fluids DO contain some limited slip additive! Dodge/AAM just doesn't want you to go get an additional bottle and dose it. The redline without any was probably not enough is my guess.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:55 AM

When I changed the front and rear axle fluid at 15k miles the stock fluid looked like black snot, and I refilled with Mobil 1 75W-90. I just did another change at 30k miles and the used Mobil 1 looked like a darker olive oil, front and rear. I refilled with Mobil 1, 75W-90 front and in the rear I used 3qts of 75W-140 and topped it off with 75W-90, to avoid buying another $15 bottle of oil that would be partially used. I'll continue to use Mobil 1 as it's good stuff, readily available, and it's certified.

I also use a blend 2 gal of Delvac 1300 with 4qts of Mobil 1 T&S in the engine, again as it's good stuff, readily available, and is certified. I started using a synthetic blend as I noticed that an Exxon XD3 synthetic blend seemd to make for a quieter engine, but I couldn't easily get it anymore so I started doing my own. The synthetic blend should also help a bit with colder temps.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Lightman
I'm looking at a bottle of Truck and Suv right now, and it has the API service symbol right on the bottle. Licensed to meet CI-4 by the API. That is all that manufacturers that have the choice to honor/void your warranty are after, which is the point. This donut is only allowed to be on API licensed oils, which is why Amsoil doesn't display it, aside from 3 lower end oils they sell. Below is a quote from the API website.

"API's Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS) is a voluntary licensing and certification program that authorizes engine oil marketers who meet specified requirements to use the API Engine Oil Quality Marks—the API Service Symbol "Donut" and Certification Mark "Starburst." This program is a cooperative effort between the oil industry and vehicle and engine manufacturers Ford, General Motors, and DaimlerChrysler; the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association; and the Engine Manufacturers Association. Performance requirements, test methods, and limits are cooperatively established by vehicle and engine manufacturers, technical societies like the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and industry associations like the American Chemistry Council and API. Oils meeting these requirements are recommended by vehicle manufacturers."

It looks like we are down to symantics here. The API Dount indicates "Service Level," or licenced by API. They are periodically audited. The Starburst indicates "CERTIFIED." Our maual does say use CI-4 or CI-4 "Service Level" oil as apposed to "CERTIFIED" as specified in most gasoline powered vehical manuals.

Copied From API: http://api-ep.api.org/quality/index....01005000000000

API-licensed marketers may display two types of Marks: the API Service Symbol "Donut" and the API Certification Mark "Starburst." Each Mark conveys information that can be used by the consumer.

The API Certification Mark
The API Certification Mark "Starburst" is designed to identify engine oils recommended for a specific application (such as gasoline service). An oil may be licensed to display the Starburst only if the oil satisfies the most current requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) minimum performance standard for this application (currently GF-3 for passenger cars). Many automobile manufacturers recommend oils that carry the API Certification Mark.

As for gear oils, I won't think it would matter if you use an LSD additive, even though it's not necessary.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:21 PM

I replaced my diff fluids at 15k with Amsoil series 2000 75/90w and ever since I have had a grinding/rubbing noise coming from my drivetrain whenever I take a corner. Feels as if its binding, kinda like the limited slip is only partialy engaged, now I dnt think that can be good for it. I will switch to something different at my next service interval possibly Mobil1, I have heard only good about amsoil so I tried it but I know that the noises I am getting from my diffs were not engineered to be there and they werent there before the amsoil so out it goes.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:21 PM

Lightman,
Oh yeah, you are of course correct, most of the Amsoil motor oils do not have the API "service mark" or donut.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by nebuniRAM
I replaced my diff fluids at 15k with Amsoil series 2000 75/90w and ever since I have had a grinding/rubbing noise coming from my drivetrain whenever I take a corner. Feels as if its binding, kinda like the limited slip is only partialy engaged, now I dnt think that can be good for it. I will switch to something different at my next service interval possibly Mobil1, I have heard only good about amsoil so I tried it but I know that the noises I am getting from my diffs were not engineered to be there and they werent there before the amsoil so out it goes.
I would think the binding/chatter would result in some level of premature wear. You could add some LSD additive to the diff now, rather than wait for you next lube change.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:48 PM

Not to change the subject...just a side note.

Here are the only Amsoil products licenced by API:

AMSOIL INC AMSOIL PCO 15W-40 CI-4/SL** 0995
AMSOIL INC AMSOIL XL-7500 10W-30 SL* 0995 0995
AMSOIL INC AMSOIL XL-7500 10W-40 SL 0995
AMSOIL INC AMSOIL XL-7500 5W-20 SL* 0995 0995
AMSOIL INC AMSOIL XL-7500 5W-30 SL* 0995 0995

Go here for a listing of oils that are API licensed and/or certifed:

http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayBrandNames.asp

It looks like I'll be using Mobil 1 75w/90 GL-5 in the pumpkins of my new '05 for several reasons: 1) no additive needed, 2) least stinky, 3) readily available, & 4) reputation.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:33 PM

if any one is running Amsoil in their pumpkins and finding they have chatter, try the severe duty gear lube, it is much better. i have been using it since in came out with no prob , and i did have the probs of chatter before. chatter doesn't cause major wear, it is the friction plates in the posi trac right , whatever you have .i talk to the guys at DTS , and i was running an Aburn posi unit in my chevy, and they told me it was better to hear the rear end chatter a little or give that binding tire churp, then to not hear any thing. when you don't hear any thing, the plates are slipping and wearing faster then them grabbing.
food for thought.
i have done 2 Dodge diesel trucks in the past month with full Amsoil and daul oil filter kits and the miles has improved about 2 mpg.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:47 PM

I understand that locking up is good but what mine does in not lock up it just kinda grbs half way and feels as if a u-joint is going out until I punch it and then she locks up and my rear end fishtails . I just dnt think its healthy for the limited slip to grind away, what could cause the amsoil to do this? Is there something in it that makes it sticky/grabby? Some sort of friction modifier?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:34 AM

Dunoh...the Gen 3 LTD diffs are a "TracRite GT." It is a gear biasing unit kind of similar to the Gleason/Torsen type. It has some sort of brake shoe on the ends of the gears, so that must be what is grabbing. The Amsoil stuff is so slippery that they say that you don't need any LTD additive, but that's not always the case. I had a clutch pack style LTD in a '96 and it chattered with Amsoil when parking. Try adding some Limitied Slip additive, that should take care of the problem. Amsoil has some, as does Mopar. If you try some, let us know how it works?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Amsoil makes the additive for the gear lube, you could go to their web site
www.amsoil.com, should be able to find it there under the products section.
any boby thinking of changing to the Amsoil, i would recommend the severe duty beofre the others as these rear ends are touchy with what they get.