3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

whats the deal with these trannys

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with hannibal on this one....All they do is say how bad the dodge trannies are, or how bad the truck will fall apart.....My dad has an 01 47re with 140,000 miles which has had no probs....He also pulls loads with it.....I know from experience that the NV5600 has been alot better tranny than ford 6spd...I went through a manual tranny in my 00 powerstroke at 45,000 miles.....Never have had any probs with my 2 dodge manual trucks.....I think in my opinion that the dodge shifts alot better than the ford...I think the ford boys are just trying to deflect the heat from the 6.0....Boy they really got something to brag about there dont they ....
Old 07-27-2004, 10:27 PM

Right Hannibal

What the enlightened few here on this forum need to remember (it's a tall horse) is that a lot of tranny issues (Auto) are directly related to mechanical knowledge and hands on experience. Please take that with a grain of salt and try not to flame out. These trucks put out a huge torque curve in the lower rpm range and it requires familiarity, sort of a almost industrial,construction/work experience to handle correctly. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any manual drivers bitchin about their rides! They just learn after two clutch replacements. These trucks are medium duty WORK TRUCKS
designed to carry/haul heavy loads. If you would like your Dad's Oldsmobile tranny ride buy a passenger car or a limp wrist SUV. In my world of work trucks the Dodge 48Re is the cat's A..
Get to Work your Can't C....
Old 07-28-2004, 07:13 AM

The worst tranny was GMs 700-R4!!!! Came out in 1981 and Finally got rid of it a few years ago.. This Tranny, the 48RE so far is GREAT!!!. It shifts VERY hard, when towing the 5th wheel, I love it...Tranny Fluid smells like "Grapefruit Juice"...
Old 07-28-2004, 03:11 PM

I have a 700r4 in a 1985 Caprice Classic with 210k and NO problems.Its NOT a truck I know but No problems so far!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:35 PM

sorry to join in late on this...
I have a 03 HO with the 48RE and it works okay most of the time but has one or two weird characteristics

When accelerating at a "normal" pace away from the lights the 1-2, 2-3 shifts are fine, the lock-up of the TC comes next (I think?) and then sometimes the 3-OD shift comes... and sometimes not.

Sometimes it shifts into OD, then back down to 3rd, then back to OD within a couple of seconds all without any change of throttle position - still accelerating at a normal pace to a 40 or 50 mph speed limit, say about half or two-thirds throttle.

Othertimes I want to accelerate to about 40 mph so I start up from the light at a normal clip and head towards 40. The 1-2, the 2-3 both work fine then the tranny stays in 3rd and does not want to slip into OD as I level my speed off unless I lift my foot right up. This happens far more often than not so I have had my truck in three times (in the first 6k) and my dealer finds no problem. I took the service manager for two rides and after the second ride he said it seemed normal to him and won't book another appointment for this issue. Got one of the techs to apply a TSB 18-027-03 but did not solve the issue for me.

Pulled our 8,000# trailer back in June for about 1K and the 3-OD shift with some weight behind went in with a pretty loud bang or clunk about two times on the trip - did not change the way it shifts the rest of the time.

Anybody else have OD shift issues with a 48 RE or is this "normal" behaviour? My first Dodge, maybe all their transmissions act this way?

... and I went on long too! Sorry!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:52 PM

I am very happy with the way my 48 shifts, you have something out of adjustment.....
Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by cobrarep
I have a 03 HO with the 48RE and it works okay most of the time but has one or two weird characteristics

When accelerating at a "normal" pace away from the lights the 1-2, 2-3 shifts are fine, the lock-up of the TC comes next (I think?) and then sometimes the 3-OD shift comes... and sometimes not.

Sometimes it shifts into OD, then back down to 3rd, then back to OD within a couple of seconds all without any change of throttle position - still accelerating at a normal pace to a 40 or 50 mph speed limit, say about half or two-thirds throttle.

Othertimes I want to accelerate to about 40 mph so I start up from the light at a normal clip and head towards 40. The 1-2, the 2-3 both work fine then the tranny stays in 3rd and does not want to slip into OD as I level my speed off unless I lift my foot right up. This happens far more often than not so I have had my truck in three times (in the first 6k) and my dealer finds no problem. I took the service manager for two rides and after the second ride he said it seemed normal to him and won't book another appointment for this issue. Got one of the techs to apply a TSB 18-027-03 but did not solve the issue for me.

Pulled our 8,000# trailer back in June for about 1K and the 3-OD shift with some weight behind went in with a pretty loud bang or clunk about two times on the trip - did not change the way it shifts the rest of the time.

Anybody else have OD shift issues with a 48 RE or is this "normal" behaviour? My first Dodge, maybe all their transmissions act this way?

... and I went on long too! Sorry!
It depends on how fast your running, on my 01 47RE stock and suncoast trannys I would hit the OD lock out button and not even begin to think about it until 55 plus MPH. I had 35" tires, edge comp, 60 HP injectors, exh, intake, and a mod HX35 turbo. This combo lasted me 35,000 mi without a problem whatsoever pulling trailers for work at 12,000+ lbs then I put the suncoast goddies in it and that made a good thing even better! I sold the truck to my buddy and I see it everyday and she runs like a top with around 80,000mi.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by cobrarep

Mine does the same on light acceleration. This only happens about once every two weeks though. It seems to go to OD for a second then comes back to 3rd... then a second later it goes back to OD?? I have not taken it in yet, but plan on having the dealer check it along with a couple other smaller issues.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:12 PM

I'm glad you guys are happy with your trannys......

I know several people with 48REs who are working them (100 000 miles to date ) and are still happy. Seems like they did better.

I will avoid it though after my 46RE in my '01. 5.9l gasser, no engine or drivetrain mods, valve body died at 12 000 miles, then the torque converter at 55 000 miles, and the valve body again. Also replaced the internal pump. This was with no towing, a temp guage and little city driving. Also, always using OD off when fighting the wind or hills so the t/c would lock in third and doing the regular scheduled maintenance. All was covered under warranty. (I had drive train to 60 000).

It never shifted well though, until the most recent rebuild, it wouldn't shift out of first at WOT. It also hesitate in shifts and slips a fair amount. I have had friends with 47REs behind CTD with the same complaints although they did tow.

I had Chevys with 4l80Es with no complaints, but I'm thinking I'll jsut do a 6 spd next truck.

The complaints are defiently valid, just don't appear to apply to the 48re equipped trucks like the old ones....
Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Don-T
It seems as long as you stay at stock power levels the 48RE holds up fine. If you raise the engine power levels it may not last very long. I have 18k miles on my truck and I need to replace the 48RE already. I expected it though with the TST box on the truck. It initially held fine at settings 5/5 without a load.After a couple of weeks the converter started to slip in OD. I turned it down to 4/4 and did not have any more trouble with it. I then pulled my 5th wheel trailer on vacation. I started at 3/3 and it did OK until I hit the eastern mountains, where it started to slip. I set the TST on 2/2 and it held OK. Now I am to the point where I have to run 3/3 without a load so the converter will hold. All this happened in a span of about 6k miles.
Man, that's a shame. A new truck with a trashed tranny...I feel for ya.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by thefb
some people still tell me how bad Harleys leak oil and breakdown all the time......interesting..... my 10 yr old softail still runs great and has never failed me, never a drop of oil either. Do these people own a Dodge/Cummins or a Harley or are they blowing smoke because they wish they did??? (I am not easy on my vehicles, I do maintain them well however)
I hear this all the time too. I just think it's mostly due to a poor product of the past. When I tell people I'm going on a long bike ride, some of them are very surprised I'm not concerned about breaking down. Oil leaks? Like you said, not a drop! And I agree; the people bad mouthing Harleys/Cummins are the ones that wish they had one.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Hannibal
They'll last a long time with stock power. That's what they're built for. If you up the power, you have to beef the tranny to hold the power that it wasn't designed for. .
...you hit the nail on the head!
Old 08-12-2004, 02:50 AM

My 2000 47RE lasted to 45000 miles then started slipping,got DTT TC and VB and drove the heck out of it til I sold it with 120000 on it.
the 48RE so far is far better than the old one so far.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brand loyalist will never change, even when thiers is the worst. Those that put an extra 100 HP and torque on a stock drivetrain, what do you expect. You upgrade the chip, you will need to continue your upgrades....
Old 08-12-2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by nonford
Brand loyalist will never change, even when thiers is the worst. Those that put an extra 100 HP and torque on a stock drivetrain, what do you expect. You upgrade the chip, you will need to continue your upgrades....
Exactally!

Quick Reply: whats the deal with these trannys