3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

What are you guys doing to save on fuel ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sur5er
Back in the late 70s and early 80s, the VW Diesel Rabbit was getting 50+MPG!

". . Top Gear America's Project Sipster. The team's project was to install a modern diesel engine from a VW Jetta TDI into a 28-year-old VW Golf and make the car go from 0 to 60 mph in less than 7 seconds but also able to achieve 70 mpg. Oh, and do it for less than $7,000. The team is done, and they're happy to report that Project Sipster's mission was accomplished. In fact, the car exceeded expectations, averaging 84 mpg on a 70-mile trip.

Project Sipster, a good read.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 PM

Someone has said it already but ..... I combine trips with the wife now. I keep the RPM to around 2000 and change gear at 1600-1900. Of course people have to realise that the manual system gives better mileage and maybe time to start changing gears again. Doesn't hurt you - after all you gotta move the indicator switch manually, the wiper switch, heater controls all done manually so why not the gears? Also you get less problems from the manuals if they are driven correct - that saves money too.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by SuperGewl
I run 100% Home Brew BioDiesel. I save alot, it only cost about $1.25gal to make, smells good too.
Nice...I've been spiking my pump diesel with 5 gallons of oil(new vegetable oil)and then watering it down with e-85!! The guys on here may flame me but The mileage is improved enough that the truck is affordable to drive,I dont have to get dirty making my own fuel,just cant add too much e-85 or she wont start cold.Too much will make her rattle too.Once I had to drain the fuel cannister and start her up on straight diesel till i got my % figured out. The thing seems to like my cocktail,the powers not bad either
Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Hi https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s/director.gif so your all getting a better price for d down in the USA then Canada and with elections cumming up here d is going up . I drive a first gen dully because its paid for ...so if it sits or works costs are very little insurance is $750 a year and parts are dirt cheep and it has all the comforts that a 45,000 dollar truck with no payments has air cruse power ,etc and takes a pounding tows a lot , https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hocked.gifmost of the young folk that are here chose first gen for all those reasons and more ps im fifty who says you cat teach an old dog new tricks oh yes bio d will be happening this summer make a friend with your local fry guy who has to pay to have someone remove his oil .20% winter more in summerhttps://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif

Last edited by tech-eh; 03-24-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: ranting and smiles
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jforce
Nice...I've been spiking my pump diesel with 5 gallons of oil(new vegetable oil)and then watering it down with e-85!! The guys on here may flame me but The mileage is improved enough that the truck is affordable to drive,I dont have to get dirty making my own fuel,just cant add too much e-85 or she wont start cold.Too much will make her rattle too.Once I had to drain the fuel cannister and start her up on straight diesel till i got my % figured out. The thing seems to like my cocktail,the powers not bad either
Stay away from the E-85. This is one of those things that's cheap at first, expensive later.

E-85 has terrible lubricity and is very bad on your fuel pump and injectors.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 AM

For my self I drive slower 70 and under. Not racing to the next light. My truck will get constantly over 18+ running at 1900 rpm = 67-68mph on the highway. Maybe the oil companies/government/and who ever else is putting the hurt on us. We all can come up with multi reasons and facts why...though they are not the only ones.

I cannot stand having people who complain about fuel prices with the gas pump in one hand and the other with a Grande Starbucks in the other.
Using their math:
Grande 16oz = $2.50 average
128oz in 1 gallon = 8 Grandes per gallon
8 Grandes @ 2.50 per cup = $20.00 per gallon of coffee.
$4.00 dollar of diesel seems pretty cheap, I do not think the coffee companies used a exploratory rig to find the coffee, or drilling rig to get to the coffee, or even a refinery for the coffee.

Ok I am done, I will get off my soap box.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM

Well, I usually don't buy 34 gallons of Starbucks coffee at a time!!

Originally Posted by dodge2005
For my self I drive slower 70 and under. Not racing to the next light. My truck will get constantly over 18+ running at 1900 rpm = 67-68mph on the highway. Maybe the oil companies/government/and who ever else is putting the hurt on us. We all can come up with multi reasons and facts why...though they are not the only ones.

I cannot stand having people who complain about fuel prices with the gas pump in one hand and the other with a Grande Starbucks in the other.
Using their math:
Grande 16oz = $2.50 average
128oz in 1 gallon = 8 Grandes per gallon
8 Grandes @ 2.50 per cup = $20.00 per gallon of coffee.
$4.00 dollar of diesel seems pretty cheap, I do not think the coffee companies used a exploratory rig to find the coffee, or drilling rig to get to the coffee, or even a refinery for the coffee.

Ok I am done, I will get off my soap box.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM

I don't have to drive that much since uncle sam has me laid up. I watch my tire pressure and the common things like that. About the only time I drive is going to the YMCA or Church. One good for the body & the other for my soul!!
We try to figure out the smartest way to move several short trips into one haul.
If things get really expensive, I might have to switch to farm plates to dip in the families diesel pod!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 AM

my truck hasnt been driven much but on the weekends..atleast im not piling the miles on it anymore.

when i do drive it, keep at 2000 rpm on the highway and in town dont drive it like I stole it.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:56 AM

been driving a 95 Honda Civic, manual. last two tanks I have gotten over 35mpg. I drive the truck once a week or when needed. During the summer I drive the truck more because of towing.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Just the obvious stuff really. Minimizing idle time, moderate acceleration, not driving too fast (right on the speed limit), maintaining filters, tire pressure, etc. I have also found that I can save a noticeable amount by buying fuel at fread meyer. Their fuel prices are several cents a gallon cheaper than most places, and when using my rewards card I save an additional 3 to 10 cents per gallon. I have also been running power service diesel kleen +cetane boost @ double strength (recommended by power service). This not only adds lubricity and helps keep the fuel system clean, but I have seen an honest 0.8mpg increase with it too. It about pays for itself.

I have gone from a hand calculated 17.8-18.2mpg, to 19.1-19.3mpg by driving a little more conservatively, and running the power service (over stanadyne lube formula).

I'm not giving up my 620RWHP 19mpg diesel, for a 270RWHP 13-16mpg gasser .
Old 04-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Have a guy out here at work with a Duramax, one year old and 5000 miles. I told him his cost per mile for the use of the truck pailed in comparison to fuel prices. New truck at 50k divided by 5000 miles equals $10/mile in my book not including insurance etc. My truck is 3 years old, paid for and has 118k on it. 45k divided by 118k equals $.38 / mile. Even if you add in $4.15/gal fuel it's only another $.26/mile.

I'm driving mine every chance I get.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I pretty much only run the truck when I'm towing or hauling something, or when there is threat of ice on the roads.

Otherwise I take a motorcycle.

I did tow the 5th wheel from northern Oregon to southern Arizona recently, which was pricey.

A buddy of mine lost his father rather unexpectedly recently, which made me think I need to spend some quality time with mine. My dad came down from Wisconsin and we went quad riding out in the Arizona desert together.

Yeah, fuel was expensive, but I'd spend it again.

I guess my point is if there is something I really want to do, like that, I'll still spend the money for the fuel to do it.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 PM

I have to drive mine- I use it for work. So, I minimize trips, do all the usual fuel-saving tricks, and I will have to charge my customers a travel charge. I have been driving my daughters 98 Ranger, but my truck does better on fuel, so the Ranger isn't any cheaper to drive.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM

I have been using my pyrometer as my economy gage. Works great. It is the same as the egg trick and it is amazing the heat you create with a little hill. A guy with a manual and a pyrometer should be able to really get the milage to come around.

Quick Reply: What are you guys doing to save on fuel ?