3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

??? Weird Sound From Tranny...FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
??? Weird Sound From Tranny...FIXED!!

??? My 47RE is making what sounds like a very heavy (and loud) metal-on-metal rubbing noise (not quite a grinding noise) when it shifts into high gear. Only does it when the truck is under a little load, like pulling something or even shifting into high gear while going up a steep grade. All other shift points are fine.

Took the Service Manager at the local dealership for a ride and he said...and I quote, "That is caused by all the torque these engines make. That is normal."

The noise is VERY loud when the truck is under a load. Been doing it since brand new and I'm thinking this can't be good...just sounds way to nasty when it happens. Truck has just over 800 miles on it now. Any suggestions? Your thoughts on this being "normal"?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:36 AM

Re: ??? Weird Sound From Tranny ???

I'll assume from the lack of response that this is not something others with 47RE have experienced. Anyone with suggestions?
Old 12-11-2003, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely you don't expect everyone to chime in within 3 minutes??

At any rate, my setup is similar to yours except for the short box and I have no such noise or problems from my tranny ... touch wood! Maybe your service manager should step up to the plate and check into it some more.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:35 PM

Like surgery, you might consider getting a second opinion....there are two dealerships in Anchorage thus you ought to take the truck to the other dealership to get their opinion. I've always had very good luck with the dealership here in Kenai as they're very knowledgeable and work hard to earn your trust and respect. Might give them a try.

Doesn't sound normal to me....but then I've got the 48RE and haven't had a bit of trouble with it.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:19 AM

OK, I'm just being very nosey here, but how did you find a 03 with the 47RE tranny this late into the 04 production that is not a USED unit? ???
The 47RE was put to pasture in February, just as soon as they got the 48RE up and running, I know this because I got screwed and didn't wait for 3 more weeks to pick up a 48RE with the HO, but that's another story.
No mine does not make any noises either but then again I replaced the tranny fluid with AMSOIL ATF after about 3K miles on it.
I agree get another opinion on the noise before it goes real bad
Old 12-12-2003, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. Actually SuperGewl, the home town Dodge dealer here in Anchorage had about 60 trucks on the lot when I purchased mine two months ago. Out of those 60, only 3 were 04 models (yea I know, this late in the year and no 04 models on the lot ) and out of the other 55 or so, the only ones with 48RE were 7 HO models.....but none were in the color and options I wanted. I guess they just bought a bunch early and kept them in storage lots since it can be a chore sometimes getting them up here in a timely fashion. My truck was built in Dec 02 and the invoice says it arrived in Anchorage in Feb 03 and been sitting in a storage lot somewhere ever since. Lithia opened a Dodge dealership across town this past summer. When I checked them out they had nothing but 04 models on the lot....but not nearly as friendly. I guess that put added pressure on the dealership that had "been here forever" and was able to get a really good deal on mine (I think anyway).

My truck had 2 miles on it when I picked it up, it didn't make this tranny noise when I did several test drives. It started at about 150 miles.....go figure. I'm off work today so I think I'll run by the other Dodge dealership in town and see if I can't take someone for a ride and get their take on it. I got the other “new truck bugs” worked out that I didn’t like…this is the last one and it sure is bugg’n me. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:39 AM

If your tranny makes a "Chuffing" sound like your describing, I believe what you are hearing is blow back through the turbo. My 48RE did the same thing and I thought my tranny was coming apart. This is caused when there is a sudden drop in RPM's when it shifts into OD under a load or when you are giving extra throtle.

My fix was to remove the silencer ring. The noise has never come back...
Old 12-12-2003, 09:59 AM

Huuuummmmm. Verrrryyy interesting. Anyone else experience the same thing? I could have swore the sound was coming from right under my seat.

What are the chances the correct fix for a problem was to remove the silencer ring. ;D Did someone recommend to you to remove the ring to fix your problem or did you just stumble into it trying to get more turbo wine? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:03 AM

Actually, someone suggested it to me. If you listen closely when it makes the noise, you will notice the noise is coming from under the passenger floor board. That is in close relation to where the turbo is. Blow back is bad for the turbo. If you let your foot off the throttle just before the trans shifts into OD, it won't make the noise but under load or accelerating just before it goes into OD it will.

It is a stange noise and doesn't sound good. Remove the silencer ring and you should be OK. The turbo sounds way better too. To remove the ring, undue the air duct going into the turbo. Take a small screwdriver, and pop off the "O" ring which holds the silencer ring in place. There is a gap in the "O" ring that will allow you to pry the ring out. The silecer ring will pop off. It's easy....
Old 12-12-2003, 11:39 AM

Now I'm gonna make you work for it.

Exactly what is blow back?..and supposedly the silencer ring is on the other end of the turbo from where the blow back is originating (I'm assuming originating from the exhaust end) and the ring doesn't block anything...so how does removing it prevent blow back?

And of course, if blow back is bad, it is not doing it by design, so what is not working correctly to cause it to happen in the first place? Now I'm really curious. Hope someone can answer these.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:33 PM

Well, I stopped by the "other" Dodge dealership in town and their diesel tech spent about an hour and a half with me this morning. Took him for a ride and said he had heard it before but didn't work the issue personally so didn't know the outcome. Anyway, he called STAR(?) and they said that it is in fact normal.....well not exactly, they called it an anomaly. Said when accelerating, it is caused by the high turbo pressure built up around 2000 RPM and then the sudden shift into overdrive, dropping the RPMs down to about 1500, which causes the waste gate to open to bleed off the excess pressure not needed at 1500 RPMs. Said the noise I'm hearing is the air rushing out when the waste gate opens. STAR said they have had many calls on the problem which caused them to look into it and their conclusion was it will hurt nothing. In fact, STAR said everyone’s truck does it, just some make more noise when the air rushes out....hence the anomaly thing.

At least I know my transmission isn't about to fall out. Does anyone know if you can change the shift points on the 47RE to make it shift into overdrive at about 50 or 55 miles an hour instead of 45?

In the meantime, I thing I'll try CHRISMEZ's solution and take out the silencer ring. If it works, at least I won't have to listen to it anymore.

Thanks for the help all.....
Old 12-12-2003, 11:44 PM

Sounds great! I think you'll agree that it's nice to have a couple of dealers to go to for a second opinion. I've had one mechanic at Anchorage Chrysler tell me one thing and then Lithia Dodge tell me something else that cost me nothing yet did the fix. And I've had it go the other way where Lithia was going to hose me and Anchorage Chrysler saved me tons. Both are great for one thing - a second opinion.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:11 PM

Give it a try, I'm pretty sure it will solve the problem. It sure fixed the "Chuffing" sound on my rig. Your're dealer advised you about the RPM drop. I'm not sure if the back pressure bleads out the wastegate valve. The guy who advised me on it said the chuffing noise is blow back going through the turbo blades causing them to vibrate, causing the noise. If you remove the air duct you will see that the silencer ring does partially cover the inlet to the turbo. When you remove it there will be no obstructions and you will see all the turbo blades.

Good luck and let me know if it solved your problem.

Chris
Old 12-14-2003, 01:15 AM

Re: ??? Weird Sound From Tranny...FIXED!!

CHRISMEZ, minus one Silencer Ring and the CHUFF...CHUFF...CHUFF is gone. Your the man....and I really dig the extra whine. They should come from the factory sounding like this. I'll call the folks your recommended next week to talk mufflers. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2003, 01:43 AM

Re: ??? Weird Sound From Tranny...FIXED!!

If you get a chance go thru the exhaust and tighten all the clamps real good. I had that sound also and then went thru and tightened up all the clamps, which were loose if on at all, and the chuff shifted from under the passenger seat to behind the dash on the passenger side. Then I had the mechcanic attempt to better tie off the Tranny dip stick with more rubber and bigger tie wraps, maybe DC will fix this one day, now I only get the CHUFF every blue moon ;D

Quick Reply: ??? Weird Sound From Tranny...FIXED!!