3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Warning for ALL 3rd gen owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure they won't make a stock canister filter that can go down to 2 microns BECAUSE of the weak Edit stock pump. More restriction in that fine of a filter... So no use in making something to fit stock. Have to buy a setup or fab it up yourself. It's really not that hard. Some fuel line, fab up a bracket to mount the filter housing... and that's pretty much it. I've got pics on some website...?
Old 08-07-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '04 Injectors

I have an '04 2500 SRW w/48RE that is still all stock. I have 50k miles on it and no problems at all so far. My question is this, At what average mileage are the injector problems occurring? I pull a 14K 5er about 15,000 miles per year and my CTD is also my daily driver. When I purchased the truck, I also purchased the oil & filter change package (coupon book) that costs me about $18 for an oil change at the dealer while I wait. I have them change the fuel filter every other oil change (12,000 miles for fuel filter change). The 48RE is serviced every 30K and the differential fluid is changed every 15K miles. I change the air filter as needed. Again, my truck has been totally troublefree and I do not believe it can be just luck. My fuel purchases have run the gamut--bought from all the suppliers during my travels. Is Dodge (or Cummins, with their 100,000 mile warranty) honoring the warranty on these problems. I also purchased the extended warranty (bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles) since the 3rd gen's were relatively new at the time.
Don't know whether it's or at this point.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by trik396
I'm pretty sure they won't make a stock canister filter that can go down to 2 microns BECAUSE of the weak Edit stock pump. More restriction in that fine of a filter... So no use in making something to fit stock. Have to buy a setup or fab it up yourself. It's really not that hard. Some fuel line, fab up a bracket to mount the filter housing... and that's pretty much it. I've got pics on some website...?
The million dollar question is if we add on a 2 micron filter in line with the stock system would the factory LP be to weak to push fuel through the filter...inevitably killing it off prematurely?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:25 PM

HDPower: Glacier diesel's site claims the fleetguard external (spin-on) fuel filter to have 1psi drop and capable of 100gph.

The kit is supposed to be installed between the OEM filter and the injection pump.

I'm not sure about this....do I install the filter proactively & chance the dealer voiding the fuel system warranty IF a problem occurs? Or, do I wait until 1 or more injector or the injection pump fail have the dealer replace it under warranty, then install the filter kit?

In the meantime, I will be installing DC (ok, fleetguard's) 7u filter.

Tony
Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 PM

I know this is goin to be a really stupid question but how do u tell if u have a injector(s) goin bad?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
I'm not sure about this....do I install the filter proactively & chance the dealer voiding the fuel system warranty IF a problem occurs? Or, do I wait until 1 or more injector or the injection pump fail have the dealer replace it under warranty, then install the filter kit?

In the meantime, I will be installing DC (ok, fleetguard's) 7u filter.

Tony

That's a great question. Everyone has to make up their own mind, but my take is this. If you've had previous fuel system problems that were covered by warranty, I'd just run the Fleetguard 7-micron filter in the stock canister and hope for the best.

But, if you have never had fuel system problems and want to prevent them altogether, I'd get a 2-micron filter setup and a better lift pump. I think it's safe to say that DC will void your warranty because of these mods, but to me it was worth it to prevent future problems that might happen after the warranty would have expired anyway. Besides, DC failed to design the stock lift pump and filter properly, so "if you want something done right............."
Old 08-07-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by HorseHauler
this is ridiculous. All because of them tree hug........... aww calm down eric, calm down so whos gonna be the first to piece together a 2 micron filter for our stock canister so us mechanically inclined (or whatever) won't have to build something seperate..... come on, someone wants to make some money!
I don't know if treehuggers have anything to do with it. Apparently if I'm not mistaken,we've just got dirty fuel in this country. Conversely,my buddy just returned from Southern Baja driving his '05 Dodge Sprinter and had zero problems,ran great. Go figure!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 PM

let me rephrase.... EPA! grrrrrrr
Old 08-07-2006, 07:55 PM

I was the one who found this info out and your injectors can wear out in around 20k miles. first set went out at 122k the second at 140k. the feild rep at Bosch that i talked to told me that GM did a filter recall about 2 yrs ago and went with the 2 mic filter, i confirmed this with my local dodge-gmc dealer, and recomended that i try to fit it on my truck. I dont rep any company and i dont sell anything for anybody so i'm not trying to drum up businees for any one. the guys who run aux. tanks will be more prone to this problem due to stuff building up in the tanks. irun about a 100k a year and buy fuel all across the country so its not just one state. the parts that are wearing are internal and and since he told me the machine to rebuild them currently cost about 500k not anybody to soon will be rebuilding them other then maybe Bosch. i qwouldnt see a warranty issue because you are adding extra protection and they would have to prove that it did the damage. hard starting, excessive smoking, nasal like idle sounds and rough high like idleing are some of the signs. All i'm trying to do is save everyone money and down time.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM

OK, i'm confused. I've got 95k on my '03 SO and haven't had any problems with much of anything. I bought a diesel because of it's power and longevity, but now it's sounding like the costs of owning one isn't worth it. Diesel fuel is 17 cents more than regular gas where i live, oil and fuel filter changes cost more, insurance is more due to the weight of the truck and whatever else, and now it sounds like we're gonna have injector problems before we hit 150k?? What's happening? Was DC ever gonna let an of us know about this potential problem?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:20 PM

So far, the only thing I have found in writing is from, what I believe to be a
Detroit Diesel PDF. pg 38 with Bosch statement. From what I can tell, the 7 Micron rated filter should fit this spec from Fleetguard. As for the filter housing being Dodge, that is funny. It it Cummins/Fleetguard. It cross references to the QSB and ISB in other applications. This should have been researched a little more before being posted.
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/O...ent%202004.pdf

http://www.pnwis.org/2004%20Events/U...20Rudisill.pdf
Old 08-07-2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
I'm gonna show some ignorance here....is there any company producing a 2u fuel filter for diesel?

TIA

Tony
Our C12 Cat has a 2 micron secondary spin-on filter.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:02 PM

i thought the trucks came with a warranty so if the injectors go bad then thats what the warranty is for. i think if dodge wanted 2 micron filters in the trucks then thats what they would have put in them but until they change thier minds its 7 micron filters for me i dont think they would eat thousands of dollars in warranty claims just because of a 5$ filter. i dont know about you guys but i didnt pay this kind of money for a truck that dosent have a warranty. just my 2 cents. 06 3500 4x4 ctd 48re
Old 08-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Auto mfgs will trip over a dollar to pick up a nickle
Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 PM

I'm wondering why Bosch cannot make a fuel injector that can live on typical filtered diesel fuel found here or abroad? Typical point the blame elsewhere.

I can see it now, someone here will spring the bucks to install a 2 micron fuel filter setup, then suffer an injector issue that probably pre-dates the new filter installation. Only to find out DC voids the warranty because of an aftermarket fuel filter install that they will probably say contributed to the problem. The lose-lose scenario.

I'll wait for DC to issue a TSB, or letter or something. I am not going to lose any sleep over this. Even though I haven't done any engine mods, I keep my fingers crossed that my warranty is still valid.

Quick Reply: Warning for ALL 3rd gen owners