3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Valvoline & Premium Blue...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valvoline & Premium Blue...

Hey, just got back from Napa and they had Valvoline Synpower (Full Synthetic) 75-90 for $9 bucks a quart. Just wondering if it is a Group 4 synthetic? Also, is Premium Blue Extreme (Full Synthetic) a group 4 synthetic? They had it on sale for $15.99 per gal. Thanks- Steve
Old 09-12-2004, 04:04 PM

Lightman, where are you when I need you! -Steve
Old 09-12-2004, 06:06 PM

CTDinMT
Not wanting to start the oil war over again, just let me answer you by saying "Who knows?". Valvoline Extreme appears to have the specs (look at the VI) of a full synthetic (group IV), but you will not find that statement on its label or in the literature. For comparison, I have looked at a lot of labels and have yet to find one can of oil that clearly states that it is a group IV.

The Boss Hog
(Disclaimer: I have not looked at a can of Amsoil . . . . . . )
Old 09-12-2004, 06:26 PM

The Premium Blue Extreme is an approved oil for the Cummins according to the one Cummins shop I was in. The guy said that the Premium Blue does just fine for most people. The label of the Premium Blue Extreme will also have the Cummins symbol on it if it has been approved by Cummins as the Premium Blue does. As for the 75W-90 SynPower can't say anything about the classification but I have found that you can get Amsoil for around $6 a quart buying it in 5 gallon cans, it is a little more if you buy 12 quarts.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:53 PM

I e-mailed Valvoline with the questions. We'll see what their response is, I'll keep you posted. I know the Premium Blue (Dino and Syn) are both Cummins approved, but before I put it in my truck, I want to know what it is. Otherwise I'll just buy Amsoil or Mobil 1. -Steve
Old 09-12-2004, 08:05 PM

I am using Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40 synthetic. I am getting good oil analysis reports and am happy with it. However, it is not a group 4 synthetic. I had the data sheet on it, but can't find where I put it.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:45 PM

Premium Blue is Cummins recipe. It used to be brewed by Castrol but Valvoline has had the contract for a few years. I use it whenever I can find it.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:33 PM

Well, the official response from Valvoline was:'Thank you for your question! We consider our base stocks to be proprietary information.' So, in other words, they dodged my question, so I think Premium Blue Extreme is a Group 3 synthetic. I might still run the stuff since I have heard good things about it, but it's not as good a deal as I thought at $15.99 per gal for the Extreme. Maybe I'll just go with Amsoil so I know what I am getting. -Steve
Old 09-14-2004, 06:51 PM

There is Premium Blue (Dino) and Premium Blue Extreme (Synthetic). I was talking about the Extreme. -Steve
Old 09-18-2004, 05:13 PM

Re: Valvoline & Premium Blue...

Originally posted by CTDinMT
Hey, just got back from Napa and they had Valvoline Synpower (Full Synthetic) 75-90 for $9 bucks a quart. Just wondering if it is a Group 4 synthetic? Also, is Premium Blue Extreme (Full Synthetic) a group 4 synthetic? They had it on sale for $15.99 per gal. Thanks- Steve
Ok, this is a no brainer:

$9.00 X 12 = $108.00

$16.00 X 3 = $48.00

Reccomended by Cummins = Priceless

There should be no debate. The reccomended oil is less than HALF of the non-reccomended stuff.

So, what was your question?
Old 09-18-2004, 06:18 PM

The point is- For a few dollars more a gallon, I can get a Group 4 oil (Amsoil, Delvac 1). Heck, if I wanted Group 3 I'd buy Rotella Synthetic for 12 bucks a gallon at Wally World. If the Premium Blue Extreme was Group 4, then it would have been a good buy. I can get Delvac 1 here locally for $18 a gallon. -Steve
Old 09-18-2004, 08:14 PM

There's a '94 Dodge Cummins rolling around with 1,114,000+ miles on it that ran Rotella 15w-40 dino oil it's whole life of delivering travels trailers to dealerships around the country. How many more miles are you anticipating getting out of your Cummins by using non-approved oil? I don't think you'll see a bit of difference in the long run. For cold weather where you are, I'd run the reasonable priced Dodge and Cummins approved stuff. But that's just me...
Old 09-18-2004, 10:07 PM

Hannibal- You hit the nail right on the head w/ your last sentence. Cold weather. Its cold enough here in Montana and in less than 2 weeks I am moving to Alaska. So, I want an oil that will stay pourable when it gets REAL cold. Thats why I want the Group 4 Synthetic. I should have known this thread would start to resemble another oil war. I have run nothing but Delvac 1300 and Rotella, so trust me, I have nothing against dino. I just want easier starts and longer life for my motor in real cold climates. -Steve

Quick Reply: Valvoline & Premium Blue...