3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Update on G56 and GearVendor unit

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on G56 and GearVendor unit

A little info on the GearVendors unit I put on my 06, G56.

I have not made enough long trips yet to get really good hand calculated numbers, but the relative numbers off the mpg computer is what I have so far. It turns out that the mpg computed value on my truck is within one half mpg when compared to hand calculated. However if we assume the mpg computed value is relative and not absolute, then we can use it to measure relative changes in mpg.

On a recent 250 mile trip, one way, I ran with the GV engaged the whole time at a GPS speed of 70 mph on the interstate. On the return trip, I ran the same route with out the GV engaged, again using the GPS to calculate speed of 70 mph.

The difference was 3 mpg more with the GV engaged. (23.5 mpg)

The amazing thing is that now that I have had it on the truck about a month, to run down the interstate at 70 without it makes the engine seem like it is screaming. That 500 rpm drop when you put it in, sure does make the engine sound much happier.

More later when I can get some good calculated numbers.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 PM

I had one on an older Chevy TH400, and it was great.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:29 AM

i'll be getting one for mine hopefully soon. did you install it? now much was cut off your driveshaft?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:54 PM

Any discounts on the GV unit these days? Just can't justify right now with $2.55 diesel, maybe if it goes back up over $4...

I am planning poor man's gear change- 325/65R18 on 18x12 Pacer 185 rims. A Mini "super single" setup... Going from 31.5" tire to 34" tire should give me about 8% drop in RPM, not drastic, but a help...
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3Truck
A little info on the GearVendors unit I put on my 06, G56.

I have not made enough long trips yet to get really good hand calculated numbers, but the relative numbers off the mpg computer is what I have so far. It turns out that the mpg computed value on my truck is within one half mpg when compared to hand calculated. However if we assume the mpg computed value is relative and not absolute, then we can use it to measure relative changes in mpg.

On a recent 250 mile trip, one way, I ran with the GV engaged the whole time at a GPS speed of 70 mph on the interstate. On the return trip, I ran the same route with out the GV engaged, again using the GPS to calculate speed of 70 mph.

The difference was 3 mpg more with the GV engaged. (23.5 mpg)

The amazing thing is that now that I have had it on the truck about a month, to run down the interstate at 70 without it makes the engine seem like it is screaming. That 500 rpm drop when you put it in, sure does make the engine sound much happier.

More later when I can get some good calculated numbers.
That is about what I found on mine with a NV5600. Is yours a 4x4?
Jim O
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 PM

GV install

Originally Posted by nwflyoda
i'll be getting one for mine hopefully soon. did you install it? now much was cut off your driveshaft?
Yes I did the installation, this is the second one I have put on as I have one on my 94.

I swaped out the drive line work, as I am a Gunsmith and the driveline guy needed a rifle worked on. I do not remeber how much it cost for the 94, I also replaced all the u-joints when I did that one.

The installation is not hard, except for the bolts that hold the GV to the rear of the G56. Get an extra 7/16 wrench that you can cut in half, as you can only get to some of them with a very short wrench. These bolts are hard to get to due to the casting supports at the rear of the tranny, and that is a pain, otherwise it is no real problem.

If you pull up the cup holder there is a plastic bottom to the console that you can drill a hole in and lets you route the wires right down to the GV.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

W Harrison
Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 PM

GV Install again

I had to go measure the drive line pc that was cut off. If you measure from the front of the u-joint flange that bolts to the tranny output shaft, this includes the u-joint, I cut off 19 inches.

Hope this helps.

W Harrison
Old 12-09-2008, 07:31 AM

thanks, i assume yours it 2wd? i won't be getting one soon due to the cost but i'll have the money next year...lol i plan to wire a toggle switch on my shifter so i can use it as i go through the gears (i figured that would be easier to use they the dash controls that it comes with).
Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM

The dash controls just act like a master switch. The GV unit is shifted by a toggle button that comes with the kit. It mounts to the shifter with an aluminum bracket.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 AM

that will work! how much did putting this in drop your rpms at 70? would you be able to get some pics of the switch setup?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:42 AM

I wish there was a way we could get a group deal going on these things. GV is awfully proud of them. From talking to a local diesel shop, they told me that GV expects them to buy the first 2-3 units from them at full list (no profit at all) before they'll start giving them a price brake. What a joke.

I'd love to have one, but yeah, I'm not spending that much on one. It's a real shame US Gear won't make their overdrive for the G56... I paid $2200 for the US Gear unit I put on my 01 6sp.

Rob
Old 12-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobG
I wish there was a way we could get a group deal going on these things. GV is awfully proud of them. From talking to a local diesel shop, they told me that GV expects them to buy the first 2-3 units from them at full list (no profit at all) before they'll start giving them a price brake. What a joke.

I'd love to have one, but yeah, I'm not spending that much on one. It's a real shame US Gear won't make their overdrive for the G56... I paid $2200 for the US Gear unit I put on my 01 6sp.

Rob
I drove a friends with a US gear and another friend had a Gear vendors I chose the Gear Vendors because of the fact that you did not have to extend the front driveshaft and the fact that the transfer case would not be moved back to where it would be more likley to high centre. The Gear vendors was also much easier to split shift. The downside to the Gearvendors is (1) Price
(2) They call for frequent oil changes. (3) You can't use overdrive when you are in 4 wheel drive (but why would you want to). 4 The Gear vendors has to be wired so the exhaust brake will not work when in overdrive. (there is a clutch that is spring applied for engine hold back that was never intended for a exhaust brake. (but again why would you want to use the exhaust brake in OD the ex brake works much more aggressively in the lower gears).My friend ran over a million kilometers 600,000 miles on a F--d 7.3 with a gear vendors and it was never touched exept for oil changes. He hauled RVs from Indiana to Alberta, Sask. and BC. and when he traded trucks he exchanged it for a unit that would fit his new truck through Gear vendors. The have some sort of an exhange program I believe it is $750.00 US. Dollars and you keep your old switches and wiring, but don't quote me on that price.
Jim O
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by nwflyoda
that will work! how much did putting this in drop your rpms at 70? would you be able to get some pics of the switch setup?

I'll get a picture tomorrow. 70 is less than 2000 RPM, around 1750 I think.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mitternocht
I'll get a picture tomorrow. 70 is less than 2000 RPM, around 1750 I think.
wow!!!! i can't wait to when i get one!!! i would love to be able to cruise at 75ish and not have the motor screaming.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:46 AM

i bought one....and returned it a month later. After doing more research and talking to gear vendors i got gun shy. I do alot of heavy towing and they said backing up heavy in reverse can grenade the unit.

I have emailed US-gear to see if they would look into making a G-56 compatible unit....no response yet. I have got to do something....When im not towing the short legs of this truck sucks!!!

Quick Reply: Update on G56 and GearVendor unit