3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck bogs and has no power. fuel delivery malfunction code

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Truck bogs and has no power. fuel delivery malfunction code

two days ago i was accelerating from a stop light and the truck bogged down and had no power. even with the pedal to the floor it would barely move. It wouldnt get past 2k rpms. so i pulled over and reprogramed it back to stock with the same results. The code it threw was a fuel delivery malfunction so i put in a new fuel filter and it seemed to fix the problem completely. now its back to doing the same thing just not quite as bad, it seems to be cutting fuel at as i get close to WOT and blowing a bit less smoke than usual. As of right now it hasnt thrown the code again but something is still definately not right. My only ideas were maybe a bad fuel control actuator. And it also seems like if it is rev'd up in neutral it idles back down pretty slow. id say it takes a good four to five seconds to get back down from around 3 grand or so. any ideas? thanks matt
Old 07-11-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the lift pump in the tank is weak?????? fixed one doing the same thing a few months back,,,The Dude had been running bulk fuel from his family's farm tanks,,,, the prefilter screen in the bottom of the fuel pump canister was full of sludge and it ran fine at low Rpms but when you stood on it,,,,, it fell on its face!!!! we dropped the tank and changed the fuel pump!!!! just a thought!!!

Try changing the fuelfilter again and treating your tank with some Stanadyne or other cleaner/treatment if that doesnt do it better let the pro's chime in
Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RiverRat2
Sounds like the lift pump in the tank is weak?????? fixed one doing the same thing a few months back,,,The Dude had been running bulk fuel from his family's farm tanks,,,, the prefilter screen in the bottom of the fuel pump canister was full of sludge and it ran fine at low Rpms but when you stood on it,,,,, it fell on its face!!!! we dropped the tank and changed the fuel pump!!!! just a thought!!!

Try changing the fuelfilter again and treating your tank with some Stanadyne or other cleaner/treatment if that doesnt do it better let the pro's chime in
so was the pump bad? or was it the prefilter screen? also i just tried some fuel additive and it seems to be doing a bit better now but theres not telling what it will do tomorrow
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Ace
Banned

If changing the filter fixed it and then it happened again soon after, it's a safe assumption you got a load of bad fuel somewhere. This is one of the those situations where a fuel pressure gauge comes in really handy. You would have noticed the low side pressure steadily dropping soon after you pulled out of that station, long before any bad symptoms left you with a degraded/disabled truck And you would be pretty sure about who to go and complain to about it.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 AM

I see you have a 2006 truck - did you get the tank vent taken care of? There was a customer satisfaction recall regarding the vent, seems it was allowing dirt/contaminents into the tank, this caused similar complaints to what you are having, fuel filters were plugging up and causing loss of power.

In any event, since your experience with changing your fuel filter seemed to restore power, sounds like you have contaminents in your tank. You may need to drop your tank and clean it out completely to see if this IS your problem. Change your fuel filter again and see what that does. If it again runs for a while OK, then your problems return, may well be a sign to drop the tank and clean it out.

It could be your pump as well, a fuel pressure gauge is pretty important for self-diagnosis, you would know the normal operating pressure, and if the pump is going bad, you would see a lower pressure change from normal.

Another problem that some have experienced with similar symptoms has to do with the sensor that is tied into your go pedal, I cannot recall the correct name of it, but I think is is a fuel control actuator of some kind?? Someone here will know what I'm suggesting here and hopefully they will chime in regarding how it causes the same symptoms.

CD
Old 07-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CD in NM
I see you have a 2006 truck - did you get the tank vent taken care of? There was a customer satisfaction recall regarding the vent, seems it was allowing dirt/contaminents into the tank, this caused similar complaints to what you are having, fuel filters were plugging up and causing loss of power.

In any event, since your experience with changing your fuel filter seemed to restore power, sounds like you have contaminents in your tank. You may need to drop your tank and clean it out completely to see if this IS your problem. Change your fuel filter again and see what that does. If it again runs for a while OK, then your problems return, may well be a sign to drop the tank and clean it out.

It could be your pump as well, a fuel pressure gauge is pretty important for self-diagnosis, you would know the normal operating pressure, and if the pump is going bad, you would see a lower pressure change from normal.

Another problem that some have experienced with similar symptoms has to do with the sensor that is tied into your go pedal, I cannot recall the correct name of it, but I think is is a fuel control actuator of some kind?? Someone here will know what I'm suggesting here and hopefully they will chime in regarding how it causes the same symptoms.

CD
how much work is to drop the tank and clean it? and what would be a good way to clean it out? and if do you know where to find info on the recall, or a link to it? Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Ace
Banned

Do you still have the first filter you took off? If not, and it's done it again, change the filter and cut open the old one to see what's in there. We may all be barking up the wrong tree at this point for all we know.

The recall doesn't do much for you anyway. All they do is clamp a pice of rubber hose on the vents. Better to install your own with a filter of some sort.