3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Transmission and Transfer Case Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission and Transfer Case Issues?

Here's what happened to me and my truck today while on a dirt road:

(NOTE: My truck has a manual shift for 4X4 transfer case)

I placed my truck into 4 wheel drive for the first time today. I stopped the truck, and placed transfer case into 4H (can't recall if I was in neutral or park). Drove around 1-2 miles -GREAT. Decided to test out 4L. Stopped truck and placed transfer case into 4L. If I can recall correctly, wouldn't go into this gear until I placed transmission into Neutral. Drove around 1 mile (about 25 mph) and then was descending on a slight downhill and as road started to flatten out, I started to accelerate, or at least attempted to - NO transmission and/or transfer case engagement!!!! NO ACCELERATION of truck!!!

I stopped truck and was pressing on accelerator and only engine was reving, NO Trans or transf. case engagement. I went to place transmission into park and it started to grind so I stopped and plced into neutral. Tried it again - same thing. I then tried to move transfer case back into 2H and it also grinded. Tried it again, again grinding noise.

I have some questions from those of you with more knowldege than myself:

1. Why did trans. and transfer case slip out of engagement?
2. Why did both grind while trying to engage (even when stopped)?
3. Did those 2-3 grinds on trans and transf. case damage them?
4. Should I immediately change fluid in both due to possibility of metal shavings causing
damage later on?
5. Should I take it to dealer for diagnosis or can is there a simple explanation to what
happened?
5. Am I being toooo ****!!!???

Many thanks guys!!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:35 PM

Re: Transmission and Transfer Case Issues?

Originally posted by BAJA MAN

1. Why did trans. and transfer case slip out of engagement?
2. Why did both grind while trying to engage (even when stopped)?
3. Did those 2-3 grinds on trans and transf. case damage them?
4. Should I immediately change fluid in both due to possibility of metal shavings causing
damage later on?
5. Should I take it to dealer for diagnosis or can is there a simple explanation to what
happened?
5. Am I being toooo ****!!!???

Many thanks guys!!!!
1. Xfer case not quite clicked into position; linkage adjustment may need a little tweaking.
2. Since both were in nuetral, the gears & shafts are free-wheeling since they have no load. Trying to put it into park just grinds against the park pin. Same with the xfer case; you're trying to engage gears while one's spinning and one's not spinning.
3. Doubt it. I've ground my share of coffee over the years (who hasn't).
4. You'll always get shavings anyway, & I don't know if these trucks still use a real filter or if it's just a screen. The need to change the juice will be debated, but you'll feel better if you do it.
5. The dealer would look at you like this -
The other # 5. Depends on if you're as **** as me...
Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 PM

the owners manual says it is normal for it to grind a little when going into 4lo