3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Torque Converter Drain Back

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque Converter Drain Back

Is it normal to have torque convertoer drain back occur if the truck has sat for 9 months? When I fired up the company truck (2006 Dodge 2500 CTD) I put her in reverse and nothing.....drive..nothing. Put her in neutral and let her run 30 seconds or so and she dropped into gear no problem and ran like a champ from then on out. Is this normal after sitting for 9 months?

Thanks,
Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything's possible after 9 months!
I would say valve body drain...past the check ball that normally holds the fluid in, but could be other things as well.

Always a good idea to allow some recirculation time before putting in gear. After 9 months, I'd say it's essential!

RJ
Old 08-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Yes I think that it is pretty normal. My truck does that when I let it sit for a couple weeks in the driveway. After 9 months like RowJ said having it recirculate is essential.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
there is also a valve in the tranny cooler line. mine is doing the same thing overnight. last time i checked the valve was on national back order. tired of putting it into gear and sitting there for a minute to get fluid primed up again.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cbrahs
there is also a valve in the tranny cooler line. mine is doing the same thing overnight. last time i checked the valve was on national back order. tired of putting it into gear and sitting there for a minute to get fluid primed up again.
Thats the drain back valve, if its doing it overnight its either stuck open with garbage or you got another problem.

Replace the manual valve in the VB with a Sonnax piece and drill that drain back valve out and life will be MUCH better, for your trans too.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
Thats the drain back valve, if its doing it overnight its either stuck open with garbage or you got another problem.

Replace the manual valve in the VB with a Sonnax piece and drill that drain back valve out and life will be MUCH better, for your trans too.
I've had the same problem since I went to a Goerends setup.. She sits overnight and I have to let it sit for about 20 seconds before she'll go.. Thought that it had something to do with my shift enhancer.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I've had the same problem since I went to a Goerends setup.. She sits overnight and I have to let it sit for about 20 seconds before she'll go.. Thought that it had something to do with my shift enhancer.
I have the shift enhancer also, set on tow or race depending on the TM. I have let mine sit in airport parking for 4-10 days, start it up put it in gear and go. This is with the Sonnax manual valve originally and with the Transgo kit and stock manual valve and VB mods latest.

I got rid of the drain back many moons ago and have never had an issue with priming.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM

no 6 oh no knows i did this as well much happier. it doesnt take any time to put into gear. ball is removed if you remove it just make sure you got the connections tight i didnt and she leaked a little bit.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
I have the shift enhancer also, set on tow or race depending on the TM. I have let mine sit in airport parking for 4-10 days, start it up put it in gear and go. This is with the Sonnax manual valve originally and with the Transgo kit and stock manual valve and VB mods latest.

I got rid of the drain back many moons ago and have never had an issue with priming.
I am not a tranny guro by any means and this is getting irratating.. Could I take this to a local tranny shop to have fixed? Not going back to Iowa anytime soon
Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Banned

I am not a tranny guro by any means and this is getting irratating.. Could I take this to a local tranny shop to have fixed? Not going back to Iowa anytime soon
Depends on what the problem is and the quality of the shop. Some I would not let them wipe the dipstick.

I would call Dave Goerend first and tell him whats happening, its sounds like it might be a seal in the TC or something like that. He should know right off where the problem is.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 AM

I've had the same problem since I went to a Goerends setup.. She sits overnight and I have to let it sit for about 20 seconds before she'll go..
I would assume Dave removed the check ball on purpose. DTT does the same.... for better fluid flow!
Requires 30 sec to refill after overnight draindown. Is that really a hardship?
Well worth it to me in exchange for cooler fluid temps and a strong aftermarket tranny.

IF it bugs you...get a remote start/turbo timer installed! Good idea to let the engine wake up a bit, anyway.
I use mine everyday, leaving work. Ready to go by the time I walk to my truck.

RJ
Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 AM

Just let it refill. Do you know it takes 30 seconds for the oil to reach the turbo? Good gosh give it a chance.
If it is so bad that you need to fix it, the bushing for the torque converter is most likely the issue. You may have run out on the trans locator pins. It may be a valve adjustment too on the valve body.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RowJ
I would assume Dave removed the check ball on purpose. DTT does the same.... for better fluid flow!
Requires 30 sec to refill after overnight draindown. Is that really a hardship?
Well worth it to me in exchange for cooler fluid temps and a strong aftermarket tranny.

RJ
Originally Posted by j-fox
Just let it refill. Do you know it takes 30 seconds for the oil to reach the turbo? Good gosh give it a chance.
If it is so bad that you need to fix it, the bushing for the torque converter is most likely the issue. You may have run out on the trans locator pins. It may be a valve adjustment too on the valve body.
I think you may have misunderstood me guys. Its irritating that I spent alot of money on a transmission and read a post that states that I may have a problem. If indeed Dave removed the check ball for better flow and this is the side effect, I'm fine with that. Again, if you look at my statement you'll notice that I stated "I AM NOT A TRANNY GURO". I was looking for some possible answers as what the problem (if one existed) could be. NOT a bash on my patience.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:37 AM

the torgue flite trans has had this problem since 1966. i worked on them for 10 years some of the fixes would work on some of the trans but not on all of them. if after market manual valve didnt fix it i just gave up and lived with it. start it in neutral, fasten seat belt and one is good to go.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 AM

I'm fine with that.
Sorry about the misread! Good luck!

RJ