3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'ticking' noise under hard boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'ticking' noise under hard boost

2006 bone stock (no gauges yet ). Around 50,000 km. I just recently started hearing a 'ticking' noise, only under full boost conditions. Nothing at part throttle or cruising. Truck seems to start and run fine, seems to have all the power it should. It kind of sounds like an exhaust leak, but only under hard boost. I thought I should be able to hear an exhaust leak all the time, or at least under moderate throttle. I haven't pressure checked the intake system yet, but I would like some ideas from you guys first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:28 PM

have a 2006 and i get the same ticking noise when there boost, without programer on and wiht it just gets louder when theres more fuel and timing, i have had it into the dealer and they tell me is is the compesser wheel and that its normal, I as well thought it was an exaust leak but nope thats not it have you figured it out yet?? let me know if you haverectified the situation
Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q: Is it kind of like pinging in a gasser?

Rick
Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 AM

Nope, not like a low octane 'ping' in a gasser, more like the sound of air excaping through an exhaust seal (in a gasser). I thought it was a leak in the high pressure section between turbo compressor wheel and the intake manifold, but with the compressor being rotary, it should be a steady hiss, instead of a regular tick that increases with RPM's. According to the service manual, you need to disconnect the aftercooler on the turbo side, and put a Cummins p/n adapter in there, then pressure the system w/ 20 psi (max) air and check for leaks with soapy water. I know some Cummins mechs, so I may try that, but first I may just get someone to look/listen while I stand on the brake and spool the turbo in drive. Unfortunately, it doesn't make the sound under no load conditions. Could it be an injector? The exhaust smoke is clear, and it still has lots of power.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 AM

So, had it in to a dealer. Three different techs test drove it. All could hear the problem, all agree that it is probably not good, but no one knows what it is yet. Also, they tried driving it with the starscan tool on, but they said every time the tool just froze and shut down. They asked me if I had a chip or anything on it (I don't). I didn't have time to leave it there, so I gotta go back again. Anyone else have trouble with a corrupted computer (without having added anything)? I have about 54000 km on it already, so I'll be off warranty soon (is the engine computer covered under the Cummins warranty or the 36/60000?)

Thanks
Old 05-16-2007, 10:19 PM

I have an 06 also with the same problem. I took mine to 2 different dealers all with the same answer "Nothing's wrong" Mine only does it under hard acceleration. It has since about 1000 miles, I only have about 5500 miles now but it has only gotten louder. I want to get a Glacier pump or fass but am afraid they will say that's what is causing the noise and void my warranty.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 AM

I am getting close to 60,000 km (basic bumper to bumper warranty), so I want to get it taken care of. At least my dealer agrees that it is not normal, and they want to fix it for me (even while it is still under warranty!) They are kinda concerned it may be an injector, but the fact that it shuts down the StarScan tool has them stumped. I will take it in again and hopefully they can figure it out. I'll keep you guys posted if I find anything out.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:28 PM

please do because it sounds like the same noise mine has made the whole time. I was told it was normal, but it don't sound normal. the thing is I run the crap out of it for 75,000 miles now so whatever it is, it must not be that big of a deal.

good luck
Old 06-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Chapter President

I've got the same problem. Heavy pulling boost at 20psi or more. My boost will only go to 23 so I'd hate to see what it would do if it got to the 30+psi it's supposed to. Mine will do it when the jake is on at higher rpms also. Just started doing it to me recently. Bought it used with 131k on it. The exhaust side of my turbo has some welding done on it. Is there a problem with the houseing cracking or in the process of installing the jake did they break it?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Well, I did get the truck in and had a more experienced tech listen to it. His opinion (all that he could hear) was the actuation of the electronically controlled injectors. There were no codes stored, so he said that it was nothing to worry about. He said that if any of the injectors went out of spec, it would set a code.

The noise still bugs me, but I guess there's not much more I can do. This dealership has been pretty good to me, so I do trust them. At least if something does happen, there is a record that I at least asked about it, and was told all was OK.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:49 PM

My 06 does it to... Im really starting to think its a normal thing with all the people here having the same problem. I think mine is louder when the a/c is on, so it might be the compressor
Old 04-08-2010, 04:51 PM

how could this be normal if the truck dosen't make the noise for 180,000 then starts....still trying to find out what it is...
Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the hold down clips for the injectors tubes. High boost also means high fuel pressure and those lines can really jump. The #4 has a history of failure.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM

well when someone figures out what this noise is caused by please let me know mine started it about a year ago only does it when your above 25 psi boost an gets loauder an boost rises. thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 PM

I hope this solves your problem If its the same noise I think your talking about it drove me crazy until I figured it out My problem was the wastegate actuator wasn't holding the wastegate butterfly open far enough so it was making a funny noise all most like a slight buzzing sound under hard pulling or boost Replaced the stock wastegate actuator with a BD adjustable wastegate actuator and the noise was gone. Bad news is 15000 mi later started doing it again haven't had a chance to test the BD to see if the diaphragm is leaking or if I have a vacuum leak somewhere Dose anybody know if the 07s have a vacuum pump

Quick Reply: 'ticking' noise under hard boost