3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

For Those That HAD To Replace Injectors....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation For Those That HAD To Replace Injectors....

Did you notice anything odd sounding in the engine when they started to fail? I've noticed in the last several days a "clicking" type sound while at highway speeds. Up until today I assumed it was driveline related......not so much. Heard it today and pinpointed it. It's not in the driveline.....it's in the engine!!!!! It comes on at 2000rpm's.....hence the highway speeds I mentioned. The rpm's are now hanging at 1100 when you rap the throttle which I know is injector related but could they also start making a progressively louder tick/click sound at higher rpm's?

I've done quite well with it so far.....302,067 miles and almost 8,000 hrs IIRC. It's inevitable that they will fail.....I'm just extremely curious about the rpm related sound I'm now hearing. The truck still starts up relatively quick hot or cold......but they have obviously gotten longer over the past few months. Again, those symptoms are injector related.....just concerned about the sound.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check all the rockers and make sure you don't have one loose and adjust the valves if you haven't already. You should have done it 2 times already. My rail pressure dropped down lower at idle. Pulled them and had them tested by Don at F1. 3 were bad and 3 were boarderline. I just had the all rebuilt and added 80 hp tips.

Almost forgot. Check all of the valve stem heights, you may have a valve seat about ready to drop. Not uncommon with the 03-early 04 models.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM

If fuel economy is normal, it starts ok, doesn't white smoke at cold start, and you are not making oil I would not suspect the injectors right away. I would have a look at those valves first.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 PM

RP holds around 5k psi at idle.....10-15k psi at highway speeds. Adjusted valves yesterday morning....had a couple that were a little out of spec. Noise has steadily increased over the last couple weeks.....sounds like it's coming more from the drivers side of the block.

Does checking the stem heights require a valve readjustment after the rockers are put back on? The whole thing that gets me is the fact that the clicking/ticking type sound I'm hearing only really becomes audible from 2k rpm's on up. If a valve seat was loose wouldn't you hear it all the time?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 AM

that's the area of a lifter, rare but one could be broke or a lobe on the cam?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 AM

I don't think it's a lifter or a bad cam lobe as there is no miss in the engine. I did notice yesterday that the exhaust did smell a lot more rich than it use to which is why I'm leaning more towards the injectors. I say that the sound is more on the drivers side for the sole reason that I can't hear much on the pass. side because of the exhaust manifold and charger.

Gonna make a few phone calls this morning to see if I can't shed some light on this. Couple places here in town deal with lots of newer Cummins engines..........because of injector problems!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 AM

i have a click as well. replaced the back 3 injectors and it ran fine for about a mile then started back up. same thing happened when replaced the harness
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 AM

The click/tick sound I have gets progressively louder at 2000k rpm's and up.....under that it's quiet. Went out this morning and started the truck....it fired right up and refused to make any odd sounds but at the tailpipe the exhaust was so rich it would burn your eyes.

After pinpointing the area of concern last night I was so down in the dumps I had to go to the store for a refreshment and it did have a bit of a time starting......nothing real bad but it did spin over several more times than usual before it fired. Obviously it only does this once the engine is warm which is why I believe it to be the injectors. Problem I have is understanding the darned sounds it makes......could the injectors cause this?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM

It could be. How long has it been since you have towed heavy with it or have you towed at all? It's possible you may have some carbon build up. Go run the crap out of it and see if it clears up.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM

It gets run pretty hard everyday getting up on the interstate going to class. I've been relatively easy on it since it no longer hauls but trust me......I blow it out daily .

I had problems with it years ago when I was hauling with it......at idle the white haze was so bad you couldn't get within 5' of the exhaust without it bringing tears to your eyes it was so rich. Never messed with it.....never had time, I was always on the road. However, once I quit hauling it cleared up and has been fine ever since.....until now. No white smoke like before but the richness is definitely back. Just talked to the local injection shops and after I described to them what was going on they both immediately pointed to the injectors. Said the noise I'm most likely hearing is fuel knock from the seat in the injector not seating completely and causing extra fuel to be released into the cylinder.

Gotta do some major re-organization for this issue. I work nights and go to school during the day. Wonder what Dons turnaround time is right now?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM

When I had Don do mine, I had them back in a week. Get with Tim at TRE diesel. He can hook you up.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM

so does that mean that you will need new injectors or injector work? im new to the diesel world so im not sure but it sounds like that could be my problem as well. does your truck have a CEL? if so would it be a p2146 or p2149?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 AM

Just got off the phone with Tim.....seems very helpful. Said Dons turnaround is a week or so.......Beans Diesel told me 4 weeks and didn't act as though they cared about my problem.....kept pushing the fact that I need to spend the money now with them......uh, no thanks!!

I do have access to a different ride.....I just made a phone call to a friend who only drives his truck about a 100 miles a month.....that must be nice.....and he said "sure, come get it." Now I have to go collect and sell cans, give blood and plasma, and see what the bank can do so I can get some money.

Hopefully by next week I can pull them and send them off care of timinva!!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by horse51
so does that mean that you will need new injectors or injector work? im new to the diesel world so im not sure but it sounds like that could be my problem as well. does your truck have a CEL? if so would it be a p2146 or p2149?
My truck seems to be a black sheep when it comes to codes. It's never set any!!! CEL has never come on either. That's why I sometimes have a hard problem diagnosing my issues.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jhenson
Now I have to go collect and sell cans, give blood and plasma, and see what the bank can do so I can get some money.

Hopefully by next week I can pull them and send them off care of timinva!!!!
You forgot your left arm and leg...... LOL

Quick Reply: For Those That HAD To Replace Injectors....