3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Sticky Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticky Pedal

I'm getting rather annoyed by the fuel pedal, it feels like the cable going to the TPS is getting jammed so when I go to ease on the pedal it doesn't go until I put enough pressure on it to go way past what I wanted, jerking everything (especially when set on 100hp or more). What can be done to solve this?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Chapter President

What, not even a "hey mine does that too"?
Old 01-20-2007, 04:57 PM

Well with my xzt my throttle is touchy, but not sticky??????????????

I know that is not a "hey mine does that too", but can i get partial credit?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Chapter President

Good try, you get bonus points anyway. LOL
Old 01-20-2007, 10:11 PM

Cable

I'm pretty sure I read about a guy who experienced a wide open throttle
runaway type situation on I-35.
It was caused by a kink in the cable, maybe not routed properly or some
such thing. Wouldn't hurt to check that.
larry
Old 01-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Chapter President

That sounds like fun, how hard is it to reattach the cables, if something happens to it like someone (no one in particular) were to undo the cable to maybe stretch it straight and add WD-40? Just hypothetical.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:19 AM

Here we go

Sorry it took me so long to reply but I have been searching thru my files as
I usually keep interesting stuff like that, no luck.

Did a search on TDR and luckily found the thread I was referring to.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=103106

If you are a member of TDR you can read the whole thread, if not, I can
send you some more of it to indicate how it was resolved.

larry
Old 01-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Chapter President

I'm not a member, please send on.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:19 PM

Some more info

Ok, could be a false alarm as I now see he has a 2004.5 and you have a 2004. Not sure of the
exact difference. I have been under the impression the 2004.5's and up are all electronic
with no cable but according to the below thread there is a cable involved so maybe it applies
to your rig.
So I gleaned what I thought to be of interest and it is as follows.

Hope at least some of it will be of help to you.
-------------

EEngle:
Hey guys,

A fun and tad bit spooky ride home last night. Going 75mph or so up HW 35 north, just tooling along. All of a sudden the truck starts to speed up quickly and the boost gauge is pegged. Now I am at about 100mph.

Well, out of shear reaction I push the clutch in and the truck just red lines. Then out of pure stupidity I thought I would hammer on the brakes and slow it enough to shut it off. Well that really doesn't work all that well. After stomping on the pedal a few times (hard enough to kill the largest woodland animal) I finally turned the key off and let her die.

I waited for the brakes to stop smoking and then tried to restart it, the tach shot up but I shut it off right away.

I reached down and the pedal was stuck about 1/2" off the floor. Pulled it, yanked it, nothing. It was stuck really hard. Took a bar out of the box and pryed the **** thing up. Then I pressed it again and it clicked about 6 times and stayed down.

Called the road side assistance and they said they would send a tow. I was 5 miles from my dealer. They have the automatic callback system to tell you how long your wait is. When the call came it said 3 1/2 hours. I called my dealer, where the service manager told me that I had to wait for them to tow it. I asked to speak to the owner of the dealership (I already have dealt with him and he is a good guy). I told him what was going on and he said "screw that, I'll have a local tow in 20 minutes for ya". Well, there my truck sits today.

I am currently the PROUD driver of a Buick.
---------------------
Theory
The theory here at work is that since there is no longer a trottle cable, just a big spring and somthing like a rayostat (sp?), the spring let go.

They told me it will be in the shop at 9:30 and the will call me right away.

--------------------
ENengle:
If you have a 3rd gen, start crawling under your pedal.

Doug's description :

yea, the throttle is basically a variable resistor (rheostat) that gives the ECM throttle position information via the TPS -- throttle position sensor. There's definately some mechanical workings in there, however, the design of the pedal, its linkages and all of that. I guess you know first hand that this is a safety issue and it will probably get a lot of attention up the DC ladder. get that VA off of there. The zone rep or whatever their called may get involved. You don't know of course, but this could lead to a recall. They dont' mess around with this kind of stuff.

Was correct. There is a cable that goes from the linkage to the rheostat. This cable was run in a crappy area and developed a kink. This in turn led to spring snaping and the full throttle problem.

I told them I needed my truck ASAP for the Chicago trip, so they were going to steal the part off the lot. When the tech called me back he said the other 2 trucks he looked at also had small kinks.

He is replacing those and mine.

The cable set-up is an assembly, the part # is 52010447AB. I suggest you take a look and see if you are crimped. If you are make them replace it!

This was not a fun experience and I would hate to have one of you guys with a big-a** trailer have it happen.
----------------
EEngel:

I am not sure of the location. All he told me was that it is a short cable over the the box.

I will see the part and ask him to show me where it was.

I guess if you follow the linkage up, and follow the "short" cable.... Well, my guess is it's behind the cubby under the radio.

They said it was under an hour to replace, so I can't imagine it's hid to deep.
--------------
GWoody:

Checked my cable & it runs through the firewall out to the pump control mechanism, maybe the rheostat is out there and one has to remove the black cover to discover the suspected kink area???????
Old 01-21-2007, 02:03 PM
Chapter President

Thank you, I'm not sure if that helped, but it's a start.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Chapter President

Anyone happen to have a diagram for how the throttle position sensor is mounted and how the cable connects inside?