3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Squealing brake with ABS and brake warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing brake with ABS and brake warning light

Had the Ram towed to the dealer with a very hot right front dynatrac hub. I had the squealing sound like a wear indicator and the abs and brake warning light come on. I'm thinking a stuck caliper but I am not sure if the heat would cause the warning lights. Still waiting to hear from the dealer.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would if it melted the sensor....
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 AM

The dealer called and said the hub is the problem. I going to be there when they open. I what to see this.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 PM

I had the Dodge towed home from the dealer. Only charged $60.00 to check it out. The right hub and spindle are shot with the outer bearing looking like welding slag. Very little grease on the inner bearing. The wheel was ready to fall off and the truck drove fine. But I am one happy camper as I had just made a hot lap to Arizona to pick up a new Lance camper. I had driven 65-70 mph all the way from Monterey CA. It could have given out in the Mojave Desert or coming down the Tehachapi grade! I ordered new parts from Dynatrac and this time I will install it myself. Tomorrow I will check out the left side and pack and tighten the bearings correctly. Only 10,000 mile on the free spin kit and I think the installer did not follow the instructions on setting up the bearings.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Intermittent Brake light + ABS =
tone ring + ABS Sensor contact =
Bearing Failure

therefore, Brake Light + ABS = Bearing Failure.

Guess this associative relationship is not limited to factory unit hubs.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:52 PM

i have had the same lights come on a few times now, Brake light + ABS. this last time it was right when i applied the brakes. the pedal was stiff and the truck pulled to the left a little. Jumper you say this is caused by the wheel bearings going out? im about to put a new steering box and brace on this weekend due to a "wondering" issue. do you have to pull the axles when doing wheel bearings?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Jack it up and check the play in the left front (and right while you're at it) by rocking the top of the tire in/out. If it moves appreciably relative to the king pin, the bearing's suspect. If the wheel/kingpin move relative to the knuckle, the upper ball joint's suspect. If it appears to be the bearing, you can pull the ABS sensor (after cleaning around it). If it's covered with metal shavings the hub's toast. You can also pull the brake caliper and rotate or "wiggle" the hub checking for bad bearing feel.

No, you don't have to pull the axle to replace the hub, but if you do get that far into it, make sure the axle's u-joint is good.

Word to the wise, replacing the hub can be a big job and requires a 250lb torque wrench, knowledge of how to do brake jobs and the hub itself is often a bear to separate from the knuckle.

Are you sure the "wander" you're correcting with a steering box is not from loose hub(s) or ball joints(s)?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:35 AM

I wanted to add that my right front brake pads and rotor looks like new and the noise was coming from the rotor moving up and to the rear when the "Free Spin Hub bearings failed". It was the rotor making contact with the caliper, making the noise . The Brake light + ABS in my case did warn me just in time. The ABS sensor was making contact with the Tone Ring. As I said before, the wheel was very close to falling off, with the truck driving as normal! I had just come off the freeway with the new Lance camper on it.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM

first off, thanks jumper and 3j1&3j2bill for the info! i will check all that when im in there.

no im not 100% sure the box is the culprit of the wandering issue i have. but long story short bout 6 months ago i hit a huge rock with the front end bending the steering components. thats when i had to replace everything and went with the 08' and newer components. the rock forced the steering wheel outta my hand spinning until it locked all the way left. im thinking it may have damaged the box as it has never been the same. im trying strategically to replace the damaged/worn out parts and this info should help out a lot!
Old 01-27-2011, 01:14 PM

I am replacing the right ABS sensor as it hit the Tone Ring. The electrical connector has me stumped on how to seperate it. I slid the red slide up. Does it take a tool to remove the plug?