3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

South Bend Clutch installer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Bend Clutch installer?

So I am considering purchasing an "O" type solid clutch and flywheel conversion Kit from SBC.
Problem is I have no idea how to do the install and the local "installer" listed on SBC's website has never done the install on anything but the NV5600 tranny(latest they ever did was an 04.5)
plus they want to charge me like 700$ just for the install..add that to the fact they are over 2 hours away and the setup itself is 1020$ and Im looking @ alot of time and money spent on a risky installation.
I am in San Diego. Any advice on maybe a good tranny shop down here or some other option?

btw the reason I am doing this is due to multiple throwout bearing failures(3 with the bearing acting up yet again) which apparantly are pretty common in the 06 trucks with the new Dual mass flywheel causing undue amounts of drag on the bearing itself
thanks guys
Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 PM

you can call a couple of axle shops for references in SD, MIT(mechanically inclined technician) out of El Cajon and Pro Gear just off of Convoy on the same street as UPS I think. Both shops have off/on road racing back grounds and both have perfomed axle work for me several times. They may be able to refer you.

Then HRC, Jason (a real good guy) has an 03 with an NV5600 and he may want to take on the job him self . They sell Kore stuff and do axle work+ http://hughesracingco.com/

The shop I would go to is in escondido called Rollies Automotive, they can do the clutch and are honest in my opinion.

I have been thru the ringer with B.S. shops over the years but these guys are consistantly turning out good work and charge a fair price.

Let me know what you find out?

How many miles on your truck?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrblond
you can call a couple of axle shops for references in SD, MIT(mechanically inclined technician) out of El Cajon and Pro Gear just off of Convoy on the same street as UPS I think. Both shops have off/on road racing back grounds and both have perfomed axle work for me several times. They may be able to refer you.

Then HRC, Jason (a real good guy) has an 03 with an NV5600 and he may want to take on the job him self . They sell Kore stuff and do axle work+ http://hughesracingco.com/

The shop I would go to is in escondido called Rollies Automotive, they can do the clutch and are honest in my opinion.

I have been thru the ringer with B.S. shops over the years but these guys are consistantly turning out good work and charge a fair price.

Let me know what you find out?

How many miles on your truck?
I appreciate the leads..Ill give all of them calls tommorow
I have 35K on the clock
Any particular thing I should ask them when I talk to them to see if they are certified to do this thing right?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:56 PM

Thats a good question for jason of HRC.

Owning a 06 nobody will have seen to many of these but that is to be expected.

Any reason why at this low mi count you are having failures?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Hey there, I live in Hemet, CA just north of you about an hour and a half. Give Freedom Diesels a Call. THey specialize in that kind of stuff. They are also in Hemet.

www.freedom-Diesels.com Good guys to work with!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by mrblond
Thats a good question for jason of HRC.

Owning a 06 nobody will have seen to many of these but that is to be expected.

Any reason why at this low mi count you are having failures?
From what I have been told the dual mass flywheel is not the greatest design in the world. Apparantly the flywheel separates upon acceleration and the secondary puts adverse pressure(drag) on the throwout bearing\
that or maybe my pressure plate is warped? or one of the pressure plate arms is out of wack. could be a number of things.
I really dont ever ride my clutch and even if I did the last 2 times it went out they were within a few days of one another.
I suppose I just am tired of missing work due to the time the truck is at the dealership and I dont want to have to lemon law the thing because I love the 5.9L
Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 PM

wow,

Freedom Diesal!

What a great find, I say its worth a call to them to ask about the premature bearing failures you are having.

They may have seen at least one G56 by now?

I would think a solution to the stock clutch is worth looking into. I really like the function of the G56 clutch. Its smooth, easy shifting and light pedal.

I have been thru the heavy duty aftermarket, heavy peddle modifie trans etc. and like the ease of operation/light peddle force of the G56. Its such a nice change of pace for me I don't want to go back.

Please keep me posted?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Freedom Diesels sells diesel trucks too, they have some G-56's on their lot so I bet they are familiar with them. They are a small, not so "Pretty" shop, but they are honest and ALL they do is Diesels...
Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 PM

Awesome dude! I know who I will be going to when its time for an aftermarket clutch for my NV5600! Thanks Roperteacher!
Scott
Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Roperteacher
Hey there, I live in Hemet, CA just north of you about an hour and a half. Give Freedom Diesels a Call. THey specialize in that kind of stuff. They are also in Hemet.

www.freedom-Diesels.com Good guys to work with!
good find! I will defiantely call them tommorow!! thank you
Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Not a problem, tell them Shay sent you, not that it makes a difference...
Old 09-28-2007, 08:13 AM

any updates?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 PM

I called freedom Diesels and they knew shay sent me . I appreciate that bud.

they told me to take the truck into the dealership and DEMAND they replace EVERYTHING. Flywheel, pressureplate, clutch, hydraulics..the works

so I tok the truck in and they took it apart. said the throwout was fine!! but they had no idea where the noise was coming from, although they heard it and said it was insanely loud and sounded like it was coming from somewhere behind the clutch assembly.
so the tech wants to rip out the clutch assembly to see what the problem is

the only problem is that they want me to buy a new clutch kit since the kit is not under warranty. I said "NO WAY" in so many words. I told them there was no way I was paying for a clutch kit just to get behind it and look for what may not be the problem!
Still in litigation with these guys. I am going in to talk to the owner tommorow. I will tell him I am going to lemon law the truck unless they cover everything and get it right.
this is driving me nuts and costing me money lost from not having my truck for work!!!