3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

so whats better on cold startup? 3cyl or high idle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ah64id

The 3 cyl high idle is a VP44 feature, it does not happen on your truck.
In a stock situation I would agree, or even with a full Smarty. However take a look at the features of the Smarty Jr posted on the MADS site:

Fast guide to Smarty-JR Features

CaTCHER software's inside

Three different performance levels: 40 / 70 / 100 hp

Improved fuel economy

Optimized drivability

Fastest download in the industry, up to three times faster than
the competition, a typical ECM update takes about 3.5 to 5
minutes, depending on the truck model

ABS tire height updates in just few seconds from 22,5" to 44"

Not traceable in the stock setting. Smarty leaves no footprint

Cold weather 3 Cylinder High Idle is enabled in all softwares

Reads Diagnostic Trouble Codes in plain text

No tools required, no fuses to pull

USB built in for simple updates from internet

Easy installation

Reliable, it works off your OEM hardware

I KNOW it is not available with the Smarty, or at least mine does not do it. It seems Marco is doing some different things with Jr. Still waiting for him to explain this little item.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Thats It !

Originally Posted by ah64id
I thought all trucks were chicks?

What happens is above ~32 truck starts and idles at 750
below ~32 truck starts and idles at 750 for 2 minutes (no brake, throttle, etc inputs) and goes to 1000 until it reaches 160*.
below ~15 trucks starts and immediately idles at 1000 until it reaches 160*.
That is exactly the way it operates ! So, it is feature Thanks ah641d.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 PM

im having a hard time believing this then........somethings going on with my truck. guess the only way is to catch it on video.

im not dingbat though.......i know the difference between a 750rpm warmup and a 1000.........im tellin ya somethings going on and as soon as a touch the brake pedal it will simmer back doen to 750rpm.

arent there any mopar techs on here? guess i should ask about cutting off my convertor or blowing black clouds of smoke everywhere......woulda had 100 replys by now
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by checkster
im tellin ya somethings going on and as soon as a touch the brake pedal it will simmer back doen to 750rpm.
Nothing wrong there, thats the way it works so it won't drive off in gear. Thats why the dealers are so touchy about enabling the idle up feature without the clutch switch. STAR has threatened them with liability issues if they do not comply.

FYI, once the ABS reads 5 mph all high idle functions are cancelled so the drive off argument is a little iffy. I suppose it is possible in low range and 1st with a manual.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 PM

I believe the "activates 3 cyl. high idle" on Mads' website is for the VP trucks. I know it says it under the CR features, but for whatever reason it was put there but only applies to the VP; Im sure Marco is aware of it but hasnt changed it on the website. CRs dont do the 3 cylinder high idle, not stock, not with Smarty, not with anything else. 20 below and neither of my trucks do it with Smarty on or off. They might not like to be started in -20, but they are most definately running on all cylinders...
Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 AM

Smarty S-06 for Dodge Cummins Turbodiesel 5.9L (2003 - 2007)

Fast guide to Smarty’s special Features

Ten different performance levels.

minutes, depending on the truck model.

ABS tire height updates in just few seconds.

Not traceable in the stock setting. Smarty leaves no footprint.

Cold weather 3 Cylinder High Idle is enabled in all softwares .

Reads Diagnostic Trouble Codes in plain text.

No tools required, no fuses to pull.

USB built in for simple updates .

Most complete keyboard in the industry.

Reliable, it works off your OEM hardware.

Programmable Speed Limiter from 25 to 250 mph

There is no mistaking 3 cylinder high idle. If you think your 3rd gen with smarty doesn't do this it hasn't been cold enough in your neck of the woods.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 AM

The one and only thing I can think of is complaining to the dealer when i bought it that it took forever to warm up. They did a flash and its done it ever since. Who know's, but im tell ya its not just a 100 rpm high idle.....sounds completely different
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07
I believe the "activates 3 cyl. high idle" on Mads' website is for the VP trucks. I know it says it under the CR features, but for whatever reason it was put there but only applies to the VP; Im sure Marco is aware of it but hasnt changed it on the website. CRs dont do the 3 cylinder high idle, not stock, not with Smarty, not with anything else. 20 below and neither of my trucks do it with Smarty on or off. They might not like to be started in -20, but they are most definately running on all cylinders...
Yep

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
Smarty S-06 for Dodge Cummins Turbodiesel 5.9L (2003 - 2007)

Fast guide to Smarty’s special Features

Ten different performance levels.

minutes, depending on the truck model.

ABS tire height updates in just few seconds.

Not traceable in the stock setting. Smarty leaves no footprint.

Cold weather 3 Cylinder High Idle is enabled in all softwares .

Reads Diagnostic Trouble Codes in plain text.

No tools required, no fuses to pull.

USB built in for simple updates .

Most complete keyboard in the industry.

Reliable, it works off your OEM hardware.

Programmable Speed Limiter from 25 to 250 mph

There is no mistaking 3 cylinder high idle. If you think your 3rd gen with smarty doesn't do this it hasn't been cold enough in your neck of the woods.
Thats not correct... they mean the cruise control fast idle... they just haven't changed the website.. it doesn't get cold enough for a CR to do it... its NOT an option....
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by checkster
Just got my smarty jr. that comes with the high idle feature enabled. What's better in everyones opinion for cold morning start ups? I usually only let it warm up 5 or 10 minutes when its really cold out. Should I let the truck do its own thing or should I high idle it first thing after start up?

Thanks guys,
Tom
3cyl is better in my opinion. The workload for the active cylinders is proportionally higher, helping things to warm up faster.

The inactive cylinders aren't receiving any fuel, so there's no risk of deposits, gunk, and such.

Regular higher idle doesn't increase cylinder temps much at all (load is still low) and the fact that all cylinders are running cold WITH fuel increases the likelihood of deposits.

JMO
Old 01-31-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
3cyl is better in my opinion. The workload for the active cylinders is proportionally higher, helping things to warm up faster.

The inactive cylinders aren't receiving any fuel, so there's no risk of deposits, gunk, and such.

Regular higher idle doesn't increase cylinder temps much at all (load is still low) and the fact that all cylinders are running cold WITH fuel increases the likelihood of deposits.

JMO
3cyl is NOT an option on his truck.. its a HPCR...

what type of EGT's do you see with the 3cyl on your truck?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:02 AM

Well I sent and email to mad asking if they can make the 3rd Gen engine run on 3 cylinders. If I get a reply I will post it here.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Assuming ambient temps of single digits, my EGTs will go from 250F at a normal 6cyl idle to 600ºF when the 3cyl feature kicks in.

I didn't mean to imply that 3cyl was available on the HPCR. I was simply comparing the two options and their respective effects on the engine.

The software of the HPCR should easily allow a 3cyl idle feature, as it's a bout 10 times more powerful than the software for a VP truck like mine, and the HPCR has way more control over all elements of fueling.

I find it hard to believe the factory would not have allowed this valuable feature on the HPCR trucks, but then again-- this is Dodge we're talking about
Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 AM

never looked a tthe EGTS, next time I will
Old 01-31-2008, 10:29 AM

On my truck I see about 250* on startup at 750, about 400* (IIRC) at 1000, but with the EB on I see 450* at 750 and 600* at 1000.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
We haven't had cold enough weather for it to happen to me this year, but 3 cylinder idle is an accurate description for the sound of it. I thought it was 3 cylinder, but I've read so much info stating it isn't an option on the CR's that I have to believe it isn't but I have no other explanation for it. All of the rough idle I have witnessed has been in warm weather on warm start-ups and it was always a hard vibration or sounded like a miss.

20-25 degrees last year...

I turn the key, wait for heater light to go out and then start her up. after a minute or so she would change her idle to a CHUG-CHUG-CHUG-CHUG-CHUG sound and remain there until I took her out of Park.

I now have the High-idle enabled, but I can only set her to 1000-1100 or whatever it is, I have nothing above that RPM range as an option?

Quick Reply: so whats better on cold startup? 3cyl or high idle?