3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Smelly cab, read on............

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaryC,

It's not that coating that's burning off the engine, I thought that to at first. I have over 10k and I still have it, definitly engine blow by fumes getting picked up from the outside vent.

You know how I can tell? when I changed the engine oil to Delvac synthetic the smell changed !!!

Ron W.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:57 AM

Diesel/Oil/Exhuast Smell in Cab

Try this......A lot of people have complained about this problem..Don't think DC has a fix yet..there was a TSB in '01 about only using approved oils....

http://dieselram.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...576;p=1#000000

Blow–By Air Vent Odor Fix
by Dan Rounsevell ©2003
D Rounseve@aol.com

Download 310KB pdf file (has pictures)

Text version:

I also have fumes in the cab and with an oil change and break-in miles it seemed to decrease.

I also extended the crankcase "blow-by-tube" but was not satisfied.

I then sealed off the seam around the outside hood cowl and fenders with electrical tape to make sure fumes from engine compartment were not going past the rubber seal out and down the top of the cowl fresh air intake.

With truck running at idle and fan switch on low/outside air I had my wife sit in cab. I sprayed a bathroom air freshener into the radiator grill area for about a second. Within about 2 seconds she got the scent in through the vents.

This confirmed that the cowl air box had a leak to the engine compartment.

I then removed wiper blades and plastic cowl cover. At the lowest part of the cowl/air box sides are oval shaped cutouts to let water out of box.

One side had a rubber flapper to let water out but seal stuff from entering. The other side was missing. (If it were a deck on a boat it would be called a scupper hole).

Also above and forward of the “Scupper Holes” were cutouts that allows air from engine compartment to pass directly into the air box.

I sealed the holes with aluminum high temp duct tape and cutout plastic coffee can lids. I left a small gap for water to drain and sealed around cowl plastic/metal seam with the tape.

I repeated the air freshener test and wife gave it the thumbs up!

--------------------
Dan Rounsevell
Old 01-14-2004, 10:19 AM

Gary - check out Scotty's series of posts on this subject..........
Old 01-14-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Gary C
Cool thanks, now that I think about it my 01.5 would smell afetr an oil change and only after an oil change, why is that?
I believe its mainly due to the additives (or lack of) in the oil.....certain oils (like Shell Rotella) smell a LOT more than others (Mobile Delvac 1300, Chevron Delo 400)....
Old 01-14-2004, 01:40 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Trucks come with Valvoline Premium Blue. I changed to Rotella. Heck, I kind of like the smell
Old 01-14-2004, 02:40 PM

Mine smelled for about 4K miles. Now, ocassionally after a hard run I might smell it. Usually it's more prominent after an oil change.

Bottom line: The strong stink from the new engine should go away but you'll still get a whiff of oil now and then.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:29 PM

The 2004 uses MOPAR 15-40W oil...whatever the heck that is. I think it's Mobil....???
Old 01-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Banned

Hey Gary why'd you go for a 6spd this time ?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Banned

Gotcha thanks. 1200 hp eh?? Yikes!!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:24 PM

Hi!
First post here. Bought my 03 Dodge 3500 in Sept. and have had the problem with fumes (smells more like raw diesel than exhaust to me) Dealer tightened bolts on Exhaust manifold & seemed to improve for a bit but was soon as bad as ever. It is only noticable at idle when not moving. Using recirculate on fan solves the problem but that is, of course, not a fix! They don't admit to it being a big (widespread) problem but it seems that it is. I will be a thorn in their butts until they come up with a solution once & for all!

Brian

Quick Reply: Smelly cab, read on............