3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

shifting the 6speed trans.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting the 6speed trans.

;D Still looking for a 3500 srw HO 6sp to test drive, did get to drive a 2500 HO 6sp. I had to push in the clutch do a 5 count befor the rpms dropped off. I have drove sticks for nearly 45 years and never had the problem I had with this one. The salesman said he hasn't had one like this before either. He had another 2500 there that he said was the same way.<br> :P Is this common with the HO 6speeds? I think the shifting with out the jerking would be fine if double cluched every time.<br> ;DAl
Old 11-05-2002, 10:50 AM

Re:shifting the 6speed trans.

What your describing isn't common with my 2500 (see sig below). Mine shifts great.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:32 PM

I test drove the HO 6spd (2500) a couple weeks ago. I noticed similar behavior as you describe. - but figured it was partly me - as I was driving my 6 spd Vette that day. There is quite a difference in the Corvette 6spd verses the Cummins 6 spd. Also I figured I would get used to it with time, I've been the Automatic route with my '97 Cummins - I won't go that route again! I'll live with the slight shifting wierdness - I'm sitting here salivating just thinking about the new HO 6 spd....but have to wait a few more months
Old 11-05-2002, 11:57 PM

Double clutch?<br><br>I hardly put my clutch in 1/2 way, and shifts are smooth as having had a load of over ripe prunes the night prior!<br><br>No problem on this end. In fact, I have never shifted a smoother truck, and no clue what you guys are talking about? Waiting for the RPMS to go down? <br><br>Not driving with my tac, but there is no waiting to shift. Just shift, speed shifting has been my nemesis lately in fact <br><br>Gotta watch my rear or my buddies that still work for a living will be on my butt!<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-06-2002, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have test drove two 6spd models and they are probably the best shifting HD tranny, even brand new. I didn't notice the RPMs not falling when pushing in the clutch. As with any heavy duty tranny, just can't rush it.<br><br>MikeyB
Old 11-06-2002, 06:00 PM

Mines an 01.5 and it did it when I first drove it. When everything gets broke in it will shift smooth as glass. I have 52k on her and its like an overgrown cadillac.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:03 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

What you're seeing is the governor keeping RPMs up, but why we're not exactly sure. Mark Chapple and I were theorizing:<br><br>1) Due to the HO power being so close to the limits of the factory clutch, the RPMs are held up for a few moments so the shock of getting back on the go-pedal after a shift is reduced, hence saving the clutch. This one is doubtful<br><br>2) Emissions. Keep the RPMs up between shifts reduces the emissions level, as boost is kept fairly constant. Some 4 and 5 speed equipped vehicles did this a few years ago to reduce NOx (I think) levels.<br><br>I've found with my 6 speed that I end up on go-pedal a bit before I completely disengage the clutch. Seems to smooth it out, but you're right: It is funky to drive until you get used to it.<br><br>Rod
Old 11-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I am experiencing similar response. You just don't push it when shifting up. I am learning to just slow down a bit and let the engine wind back down before reingaging clutch. The shifting is starting to loosen up a bit making it very nice to shift. I just can't hurry it or the engine is still running higher than needed for the gear. This is especially true if I skip a gear, like run from 2 straight to 4. Don't do that often, but have to be careful when reingaging if you do. I am also having to learn not to push the pedal very hard in anything lower than 5th - - winds up so quick you run over the car ahead of you and tach too high.<br><br>Bob
Old 11-08-2002, 07:41 PM

FiverBob is right on; just can't push it when upshifting. I was tugging a few thousand pounds the other weekend, and was nearing the top of the hill and gaining speed/RPM's in 5th. When I grabbed 6th, she was turning roughly 2700 RPM, and as soon as I dumped the clutch, she ran straight to redline!! Boy did I suck up the seatcover!! I kept the clutch in for what seemed like an eternity, until the R's came back down under 2000, then dropped into 6th and away I went. Sure seemed odd to me, but I have noticed it at lower RPM's too. It just doesn't drop off like &quot;normal&quot;... [undecided]
Old 11-08-2002, 09:46 PM

Took another HO-6 for a TD. Like the guys are saying...if you take your time, it's a sweet rig. This time I just pretended I was driving a big Freight' with a nasty 600horse/1450ft-lb Cummins N14 hooked to a Fuller RTO12515. Then it all seems to make sense. If it's a Ram for me, an HO-6 it'll be... <br><br>Cheers<br>DT
Old 11-08-2002, 10:13 PM

All the comments about shifting the '03 6 speed HO are interesting. I have an '02 HO six speed and I noticed just the opposite. Due to the close gear ratios, I often tickle the throttle a bit between shifts to keep the engine RPM up. This makes the syncros match up faster and avoids a decelleration jolt from low engine RPM's when the clutch is let out. As an alternative, a very slight hint of power shifting technique will also work smoothly on the '02. My guess is that Dodge decided to automate this on the '03 and have the computer keep engine revs up between shifts, instead of your foot. But it sounds like the '03's hold RPM up too long and too high. Lets all have a cheer for the EPA and Caffe laws! Make that a Bronks Cheer.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:50 PM

Hmmm, I never noticed anything out of the ordinary on the one I test drove. I shifted it what I would consider very fast for a truck. Guess I will wait till I get mine and see how it is.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:52 PM

I've had mine 1 week today and it shifts smooth as silk. I had forgotten how nice it is to shift gears, been driving autos for so long. But it's like riding a bike, you just don't forget. I was even trying to shift my Oldsmobile today. Had my wife in stiches, she wanted to know what I was reaching for a shift lever or her leg? ;D Of course I lied. <br><br>JD
Old 11-10-2002, 06:12 PM

When I test drove my 2003 HO, I noticed a lag in the time I released the accelarator pedal to a time I felt the rpm's were low enough to properly shift. It seems to be a turbo lag or something, but I thought it was just my being used the Banks Powerpack system I had on my 2001 HO, which had very little turbo lag. Anyway, I bought the truck and I either gotten used to it or it has settled down to a level that I can deal with after 450 miles. The bottom line is there was definitely a slow down of the engine rpm's when you wanted to shift.<br><br>Ronster
Old 11-10-2002, 10:45 PM

Hunter, Your buddies that still work wouldn't give a little professional courtesy to an &quot;Old-Timer&quot;? <br><br>My 6 speed minus one,(only kind available here) shifts smoothly except when I miss a gear. RPM drop-off not as fast as with a gasser. For a speed shift about right. ;D

Quick Reply: shifting the 6speed trans.