3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Settle a bet, block heaters on '04's

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Settle a bet, block heaters on '04's

A number of people have suggested that all '04's came with the block heater feature installed on their trucks. If you wanted to use it you had to buy the chord from the dealer. I can certainly buy into this and would buy the chord tomorrow if I could figure out where it attaches to the installed block heater. If this true and not an urban legend could some please post a picture of that assembly. If you have a block heater and chord could you take a photo of where the chord attaches to the heater. For those of us in the cold, literally it would help verify if we have the unit. The dealer hasn't been much help so as always I'm turning to the people in the real know. Thanks in advance..
Old 01-08-2004, 07:10 PM

This is from the '03 service manual:

The 5.9L diesel engine has the block heater located
on the right side of the engine below the exhaust
manifold next to the oil cooler.

I believe the '04 is the same.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:13 PM

I just did mine. Do a search you will find links to pic posted within the week.

Crawl under the truck on the right side (trucks right your left), look above the oil filter. There is a brass fitting with a screwd on plastic cover. That is it.

I could not get the cord from Dodge here but got on from Cummins dealer. It is very short so I had to add an extension cord to get to the front of the truck.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:18 PM

Just went out and looked. Like the description says, under teh exhaust manafold right behind the oil filter.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:13 PM

try going to an auto parts store that sells after market block heaters. if they have one that crosses to the 03 cummins, buy it and use the cord. Often times you'll find that the after market products may be higher in power dissipation (greater wattage).

I changed the block heater on my 1982 Chev 6.2L. after a face full of coolant, I got the factory one out of the freeze plug and the new one worked twice as good as the factory one did.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:48 PM

Fireout2002,

I have an '04 like you and just needed to add the cord. If you buy the cord from your Dealer it will already have the 3 barbed pins on the cord that are used to secure the cord to the frame (not sure if the Cummins cord has the pin's or not).

I just uploaded a few pictures of my block heater cord install so check them out after they get approved for general audience viewing .

Big Ed
Old 01-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

It's good to see everyone strike such a harmonious chord in discussing the cord install....
Old 01-08-2004, 10:22 PM

The cummins cord has two holes for the pins and a brush to ground, this part is made of rubber.
A metal ring screws to the heater to secure it. The rubber lip looks like it makes a weather seal under the ring.

Cost $30.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:25 PM

Oh the frame! No the pig tail is only about 6". I realy have not secured it to the frame yet. Too cold. It can't go too far. I passed it over the AC line and down the frame rail to the bumper + a couple of wire ties.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:36 AM

Alright, a consensus. Thanks folks. I had been looking at the radiator. I will look tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:12 AM

When I talk about the "barbed push pin's" I am referring to 3 plastic barbed push pin's that are secured to the cord like a ty-wrap. On the passenger side frame rail there are 3 corresponding holes that these pin's "push" into to secure the cord to the frame. The cord I got from my dealer was about 3 feet long and had the pin's already on it.

My photo's are up. So if someone is confused with my jibberish you can view for yourself what I am trying to convey with word's.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:51 AM

Block heater is installed from factory on 04, but cords are not unless truck was ordered with cold weather pkg. Cord from Dealer is around $30. There were over 350 on backorder nationwide thru Dodge and mine took over 30 days to arrive.

Standing in front of truck with hood open, look at top of oil filter and then directly back on engine (about 6 inches), directly across from the air intake hose,you will see a "Black Cap". I believe there's a picture of it in the OWNERS manual. You only have to removed the cap and install the cord and then run the cord along the frame (there's 3 holes), push the plastic grommets in and then bring the 3-prong end up and out where you want it...
I ran mine along the fog light wiring harness and behind the license plate bracket with a couple of plastic twist ties. To use, I reach under the license plate bracket and pull the plug down and plug into an extension cord. Went to Lowes and bought a timer that comes on at 1am and off at 7am...

It's about a 15 min job, if engine is hot, then simply remove the air intake hose from the box and the turbo....
Old 01-09-2004, 05:17 PM

It is about a five minute job if you crawl upder and reach up it is right there. The engine makes a nice hand warmer too!
Old 01-25-2004, 06:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Try ordering the cord direct from Cummins. You'll get it sooner AND save money. There's lots of things that are available from the Dodge dealer and Cummins, but much cheaper thru Cummins.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:17 AM

I bought mine from Cummins here in Cincinnati. It is a Fleetguard part number ( 251919 ). They had it in stock, gave them $14.20 and was on my way. BTW this cord is plenty long enough to install for easy access. I ran mine to the bumper and looped it around the tow hook.

HTH.............Ken Hagood

Quick Reply: Settle a bet, block heaters on '04's