3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Restrictive Aircleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 08:26 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Restrictive Aircleaner

Finally had a chance to check that restriction thingyamajigger. It is at 1/3 with 342 miles on the truck. That sounds really good. Let's see - - change filter at about 1000 miles????? :'( Hope not. It certainly does not look too highly precision. So, hopefully we can get, say, maybe about 2000 miles, ey? :P<br><br>Bob
Old 11-01-2002, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fiver, are youchasing me or am I chasing you around this forum.<br><br>That non-precision thingamajigger, the air filter suc-a-meter still reads 1/3 on mine and it has 2000 miles on it. Maybe we won't need to change air filters till 6000 miles or more.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:13 PM

Hot doggy, great news there Sierra Phil. I can hit the &quot;redo&quot; on my Excel spreadsheet. I went in a recalculated our budget for the year based on new air filters every 1000 miles. 6000 instead. Much better. <br><br>It is interesting that these pull down like this. My rpms have not been over 2200 and it is still pulled down. <br><br>Bob
Old 12-07-2002, 01:02 AM

Riddle me this batmen...How can that small hole in the side of the airbox/inner fender well possibly feed enough air to the turbo at 27 psi??? Answer: It can't! Thus the indicator showing 30% used/clogged/restricted, or whatever you want to call it when the filter is new! First thing I did was loose that black plastic restrictor on the turbo cold side, replace it with a custom 4&quot; piece I made, then loose that airbox/filter and replace it with a BIG air cleaner that fits like a glove. I then relocated the MAT sensor into the new filter and hot ****, no more restrictive air intake If you ever get a chance to take that black plastic thing off, you won't believe how much of a restriction it is. Not only does it neck down to almost nothing, but it has numerous ledges that stick out a good 1.5&quot; to muck up the smooth airflow to the turbo. Anthing to smooth out incomming air helps some.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:38 AM

Fiver Bob, I now have 3500 miles on m 2003 a that &quot;sucker meter&quot; still reads 35%. Put that into your Exel Spreadsheet for size. I think we are making money fast. At this rate we'll be able to go at least 11K miles on the original, Hot dogger...... Mine has been up to 2500 rpm under load.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:55 AM

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=20;threadid=6338;start=15#76979 date=1039246681]<br>Fiver Bob, I now have 3500 miles on m 2003 a that &quot;sucker meter&quot; still reads 35%. Put that into your Exel Spreadsheet for size. I think we are making money fast. At this rate we'll be able to go at least 11K miles on the original, Hot dogger...... Mine has been up to 2500 rpm under load. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I think we should call it the &quot;PMS&quot;. Precision Meter of Suckability. ;D : <br> Opps, the CFO just monitored my PMS post. I am SOL. :-[<br>Bob<br><br>ps: I am still only 1/3 on the PMS.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:05 AM

Fiver Bob, what should we call turbo? One idea is &quot;Big Daddy Sucker&quot; or BDS. Thought BDB but passed up that idea too.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:59 AM

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=20;threadid=6338;start=15#77110 date=1039280706]<br>Fiver Bob, what should we call turbo? One idea is &quot;Big Daddy Sucker&quot; or BDS. Thought BDB but passed up that idea too.<br>[/quote]<br><br>MAP - - Master of Added Pressurization
Old 12-07-2002, 09:31 PM

The PMS (cool acronym), showed 35% when the truck was sitting on the lot with 35 miles on it. I drove it home and reset it after reading the book. It has not changed since I reset it and I am now at 500 miles. Oh, by the way I am still on the same tank of fuel the dealer gave me! Gotta love this truck!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:04 PM

I checked my filter minder today. I had pulled it down to 65%. I guess it was from showing my friends what the Cummins will do. KYLE
Old 12-16-2002, 11:27 PM

My &quot;Suckometer still reads 35% at 3900 miles. Must be the cleaner air up here in the Sierra.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:38 AM

I noticed with the stock filter on my 94 when I upped the HP it sucked the filter suckometer down to the line. I got a K&amp;n and it moved a bout half way. I put some holes in the box and it stayed at the top.<br>DM01
Old 12-19-2002, 11:44 AM

[quote author=turbov6joe link=board=20;threadid=6338;start=15#76967 date=1039244536]<br>Riddle me this batmen...How can that small hole in the side of the airbox/inner fender well possibly feed enough air to the turbo at 27 psi??? Answer: It can't! Thus the indicator showing 30% used/clogged/restricted, or whatever you want to call it when the filter is new! First thing I did was loose that black plastic restrictor on the turbo cold side, replace it with a custom 4&quot; piece I made, then loose that airbox/filter and replace it with a BIG air cleaner that fits like a glove. I then relocated the MAT sensor into the new filter and hot ****, no more restrictive air intake If you ever get a chance to take that black plastic thing off, you won't believe how much of a restriction it is. Not only does it neck down to almost nothing, but it has numerous ledges that stick out a good 1.5&quot; to muck up the smooth airflow to the turbo. Anthing to smooth out incomming air helps some.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Greetings, <br>The restriction in the black tube has no bearing on the indication of the flow restriction gage on the air cleaner. That is soley for noise control and once you gut out the restriction inside that tube the inside is free enough to not be an issue unless you are running more power than what the factory gave you. The problem is a &quot;tight&quot; air filter and a way too small air box opening. I had the same problem on my 95' and I put in a K&amp;N and eliminated the restriction between the airbox and the fender. I'll take a look at the new box a little closer too see how easy it will be to drill out and plumb in an additional fresh air inlet source.<br>Jeff
Old 12-20-2002, 08:42 PM

Guys, they've have had that pull down indicator on the Air Cleaner box for a good many years. I have two 95's and it does not work on either one. Air Filters are so cheap, I just change it out with each oil change. Probably overkill, but that motor sucks in a lot of air. Anyone ever tried a K&amp;N filter. I just wondered if it performed as they say it does. Does it give you $50 bucks worth?
Old 12-24-2002, 08:42 AM

[quote author=mymaur link=board=20;threadid=6338;start=15#83070 date=1040438577]<br>Guys, they've have had that pull down indicator on the Air Cleaner box for a good many years. I have two 95's and it does not work on either one. Air Filters are so cheap, I just change it out with each oil change. Probably overkill, but that motor sucks in a lot of air. Anyone ever tried a K&amp;N filter. I just wondered if it performed as they say it does. Does it give you $50 bucks worth?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Greetings,<br> I had a 95' and I put the first K&amp;N for the new 94' up engine in my truck and it did help and performed as advertised. It also had very little dispacement of the filter minder gauge and that was helped by enlargement of the restriction between the air box and the fender inlet. The gauge moved very little and I was running well over 300HP and straight cat free exhaust. You will notice better low end spool up and a slight increase of turbine whistle ;D I plan on doing the same to my 03' when they make a filter. <br>Jeff<br>

Quick Reply: Restrictive Aircleaner