3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rear diff grinding after lube change with amsoil 2000 75/90

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear diff grinding after lube change with amsoil 2000 75/90

Any of u guys have any grinding issues in your rear diff when using Amsoil 2000 series 75/90? After I changed my fluid Im getting binding/grinding when taking off around corners, almost as if the limited slip is locking up?
Old 10-13-2004, 03:48 PM

I have had NO problems.
It sounds like your Limited slip is working correctly now
Old 10-13-2004, 03:51 PM

No binding in mine. I 've used Valvoline full synthetic and now have Mobile 1 full synthetic. Is Amsoil API certified GL-5 full synthetic. I think that's what the owner's manwell specifies.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had the amsoil series 2000 in my front and rear diffs for 14k miles now, no noises.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:41 PM

I've been running it for 14k also; no problems. I think your LS is working fine too. You'll like it in the snow.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:03 PM

I do not use amsoil in mine just Mobil 1 full syn. Just changed mine on grinding or binding. Might be time to see the local Dodge dealer for some warentee work.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 PM

I guess its better to have a bit more aggressive limited slip than to loose....just kinda weird how it changed when I swapped the fluids....Amsoil 2000 series is GL-5 so I figure it shouldnt void warrenties, guess I'll drive it till it does something really weird , already had the ring and pinion swapped for howling noises on deacelerating about 4 mos ago. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:30 PM

I switched my rear axle to Amsoil series 2000 75w90 at 1,600 miles. Over the summer I noticed a grinding/chatter in my rear upon acceleration from a stop. This was especially noticable when towing my 10,000 pound fiver. At first I thought it was a driveline angle issue but then I read a thread over on the TDR about a guy who had the same condition. However, after he dumped the Amsoil out and refilled with the Valvoline Synpower his problem was eliminated. So this past weekend when I did my 15,000 mile service I used the Valvoline Synpower in both axles. Monday I will be towing the fiver up to the dealer which is about an hour away so I will see if the Valvoline made a difference or not. The only bummer is that I have an unopened case of Amsoil in my basement that I will have no use for if the Valvoline cures my problem.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:02 PM

did you drop the Diff pans and clean them out real good???? Also did you over or under fill the diff??? When you had the covers off (if you did) did you notice any extra wear on the gears???

I just changed mine aganin just because I wanted to and I wasn't sure if DC had dropped the covers when they were suppose to check them out. Now that I have dropped the covers and refilled them I realize that they obviously didn't even check them out because the fluid that drained was BLUE and minty smelling (AMSOIL) and NOT the brownish/black stuff they use.
The front stuff looked jsut the same as the day it went in. The rear wasn't quite as minty smelling but it did still have some blue tint to it.
No noises hear just the humming of that CTD running down the road
Old 10-15-2004, 09:33 AM

Big ED, Keep us posted on how the Synpower does, I too will swap out the Amsoil if this cures your grinding. Does ures grind only when ure making a turn or also on straight forward takeoff? Mine only seems to do it on Left turn acceleration from dead stop. Keep us posted..
Old 10-15-2004, 10:07 AM

I'll keep you guys posted as to what I find. I mostly experienced the chatter when towing and I would notice it either going straight or turning. It seems the only time I felt it when unloaded would be after a long highway drive. Once I exited, came to a stop, then accelerated, I would feel the chatter.

Anyone who wants a case of Amsoil let me know. I actually have a unopened case and 4 loose quarts.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:11 PM

I have had the LS chatter on my "03" since it was new. I also had a "99" that had the same issue(not the same rearend). I told the dealer about it and he added some LS additive to the "03" (???) it still did it. I think there was a lube issue on the early 3rd generation.!? I had the rear diff. serviced a bit ago and the issue dissapeared. It is definatly was related to the lube I had from the factory and what he put in when it was serviced. Mine usually did it after a long drive on straight road then pull off and make a hard slow turn.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:27 PM

I have had the Amsoil in mine since it had 15000 miles. I am now at 50 000 and it runs great.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by SuperGewl
did you drop the Diff pans and clean them out real good???? Also did you over or under fill the diff??? When you had the covers off (if you did) did you notice any extra wear on the gears???

I just changed mine aganin just because I wanted to and I wasn't sure if DC had dropped the covers when they were suppose to check them out. Now that I have dropped the covers and refilled them I realize that they obviously didn't even check them out because the fluid that drained was BLUE and minty smelling (AMSOIL) and NOT the brownish/black stuff they use.
The front stuff looked jsut the same as the day it went in. The rear wasn't quite as minty smelling but it did still have some blue tint to it.
No noises hear just the humming of that CTD running down the road
Speaking of extra wear, how much should one see on the gears? I pulled the cover off of mine tonight to do the 15,000 mile fluid change. This is the first time I've had a rear end cover off of anything so I don't know what is normal wear or excessive wear. Anyway, the fluid was brownish black and the plug had less crud on it than some of the magnets I've seen in an auto tranny pan. Cleaned the cover up real good. Nothing unusual looking. But the ring gear. That thing is grooved out where the pinion meshes which has left a burr on the end of each tooth. I can't post a pic so I will say that the burr......bear with me now, is 5/16" wide left to right if you are looking at the gear from the rear of the truck. It extends away from the tooth, well, not far, but far enough to notice it. Is this normal wear for 15,000 miles or does it sound excessive? Thanks for your input.

Alan
Old 10-15-2004, 11:10 PM

I wish I would have taken pics of mine. You may want to have it checked. Mine had some wear on maybe one or two teeth the on the rest of the teeth you could still see the original machining on all of the other teeth.

Quick Reply: Rear diff grinding after lube change with amsoil 2000 75/90