3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

RAM 4x4 system truly disappoints

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
RAW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAM 4x4 system truly disappoints

I was extremely disappointedwith the 4x4 system in the RAM the other day.

I was leaving my property in the NC mountains. True, there was about a foot of snow on the ground.

And the truck made it part of the distance

But then I slid into a ditch, where the RAM just failed to extract itself.

I suppose I could have blamed my lack of chains and a shovel, but . . . the biggest problem was that the truck sent 95% of the power to the wheel with the LEAST traction!!! I had the system in 4LO, and almost every drop of power went to the left, rear set of wheels. It was absolutely pathetic. The front wheels would just barely twitch before giving it up.

This experience absolutely confirmed that I will NOT be selling my other 4x4 truck any time soon. The RAM on the other hand . . . . well, it might be looking for a new owner once I finish moving to NC.

I'm pretty sure that I've read here that there isn't a drop-in locker available for our trucks. Is that true??

With what I've described, is it possible that something isn't working properly? Or is this how the system functions?
Old 02-13-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was inevitable once the weather turned bad that the complaints about the "TracRite" axle would come in.

I've owned GM trucks previously and they were much more capable "off road" than my Dodge.

Yes there is a locker available but only for the front axle. I've got one on order and will most likely post an article on its installation.

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/prod...y/elocker.html
Old 02-13-2006, 05:20 PM

One front wheel must have been turning if it was in 4wd.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

Your tires suck.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:55 PM

Raw, Unless you had a ton in the back of your dually your lucky you got where you got. 4 low is for pulling heavy stuff or controlling speed offroad where there is tons of traction. 4 Hi is for snow to keep the torque to the wheels low to keep what limited traction you have. Nice snow plugged tires, stock all seasons I assume. We just had a blizzard here and my driveway is filled to top of my bumper...light and fluffy. I drove in in 4 hi and parked where I could get a run at getting out. I have about 500pounds of crap in the back to help traction but usually have a bulk bag of sand 750# in the back strapped in. I have servere snow service rated tires though. The stockers are crap in snow. A dually is problematic in the snow without alot of weight in the back....The nose plows through snow with 4000 pounds on the two front tires while the back 3700 pounds floats on 4 tires on top of the snow. The truck doesn't steer as well in 4wd because the front tires are providing torque. With a dually a shovel only helps if you are hung up on snow and have some dirt to shovel. I hope you had some buddies with you with a strong and long tow strap. I carry one with me and I use it to pull others out...haven't used it for my self yet. Nice looking truck. If you want and can afford it get a front elocker from Eaton...it should be offered on 4by duallies as an offroad package option. Good luck with all that snow. If you have LSD it will only work well on a Dually with lots of weight....you got it... in the back.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:02 PM

It makes you wonder how some make it in life as long as they have.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:05 PM

Pretty much ANY 4wd would get stuck in that, let alone with the stock tires.

FWIW, I was drving over VERY snow and icy roads on my way to work this morning, in 4wd, and NEVER slipped once. I even (once there was no traffic) stomped on it, and she tracked straight and true.

I'd have to say the 4wd is actually pretty GOOD on these trucks.

P.S. - If you read my sig, I have a dually.........
Old 02-13-2006, 06:17 PM

I remember the Army Sgt driving that z71 offroad package Chevy smiling ear to ear when I pulled him out of the snow in a parking lot at Ft Meade!

It wasn't really off-road though.... but the snow was up to the middle of my kneecap where I jumped out to hook him up. Thats 21". He was waiting for his MP pal to rescue him with a 6x6 truck, but I was happy to do him a favor.

No complaints here with my 4x4 - but I'm not an expert like many folks are.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:22 PM

We had 2 foot of snow fall here in 1 day about a year back.
My ram never failed me.

BUT I HAVE REAL TIRES
Old 02-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Muted User

Location: "The Peoples Republic of Illinois".....behind enemy lines
The third photo looks like you drove off your drive into a ditch or low spot!!! ABC is correct, 4low is for pulling serious loads and to control vehicle speed without overusing the brakes. Also, as said earlier, duallys suck in the snow without some serious weight in the bed, AS tires suck in the snow, and it sounds like you didn't have it all the way into 4 wheel drive. Based on the evidence given I have to chalk this one up to driver inexperience and/or ignorance!!!

For an in depth study/review of the inner workings of your trucks systems and features; RTFM!!! It's in the little compartment in front of the passenger side seat!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:42 PM
RAW

Okay, to address all the people who think I'm a friggin' moron:

The truck was in 4LO because the downward slope necessitated mucho engine braking. The driveway is steep.

I did not drive into the ditch. The truck slid into the ditch without much help from me!

I did have a couple hundred pounds of stuff in the bed (apparently not enough, my bad).

I understand that the stock tires are crap. And someone mentioned that a front wheel should have been turning. That's exactly my point. Neither front wheel was turning. They would twitch and then only that left rear would spin.

As for any 4x4 getting stuck in that, that's not the case. My fulltime 4x4 truck (admittedly with a rear locker) has no issues with similar conditions.

This truck has the electronic transfer case and it was clearly in 4LO . . . .So, should I have the truck checked out at the dealership?

Oh, and just for you, Goose2: I've been censored, but . . . let's just say I don't want to be friends.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
isn't a dually alittle more to handle in snow? especially that deep? i have also never had a problem with my truck in the snow. i used to have an 02 toyota double cab with a rear locker-and so far my dodge has gone to the same places as the yota and i have yet to have any trouble.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 PM

No one is calling you a moron. It's just that any STOCK 4x4 would have had trouble in that. As I said, my dually, with NO weight in the bed, in 4wd, has never failed to go where I have pointed it, however, the most snow I have driven in is maybe 6-8 inches.

I agree, it is MOSTLY the tires' fault. Your truck is darned capable, but not infallible.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

Better tires would have solved that entire problem.

Next time, just go faster.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:52 PM

i totally agree my ctd sucks in the snow

snowed about 11in yesterday took the chevrolet out 6in lift 35's procomp extrems. just to the store didn't put it in 4wheel drive once spun abit but no big deal. LATER after the roads were plowed about 2- 3 inches on them now took the dodge out and couldn't get out of the drive way in 2wd had no choice 4hi (stock tires ) but that edit right wheel just spins in 2wd 4x4 slipd around till it get traction but all that torque slick roads edit tires = stay in doors...

NEED REAR LOCKER !!!!!!!

Quick Reply: RAM 4x4 system truly disappoints