3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Questions about gear ratio swap gone WRONG

Old 12-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about gear ratio swap gone WRONG

Heres the deal. I had the rear end gear ratio changed from 3.73 to 3.42. Just the rear, which is certainly not what I wanted, although they claimed it was. Anyway, in the midst of our conflict over the deal and how to settle it, the shop manager had mentioned that the carrier needed to be machined for the 3.42s to work, which makes it a problem to swap the 3.73s back. Also, he made the claim that 3.08s are available and require no modification to work in an 04 model, but with the carrier machined, they now will not work. If this is the case, I would have gone with 3.08s in the first place.

Any advice? Is the info I am recieving from him credible? Is a new carrier expensive? I really don't want to be in this battle over Christmas, but oh well. Just about ready to sell my pickups and drive the car for a while!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MJDiesel
Heres the deal. I had the rear end gear ratio changed from 3.73 to 3.42. Just the rear, which is certainly not what I wanted, although they claimed it was. Anyway, in the midst of our conflict over the deal and how to settle it, the shop manager had mentioned that the carrier needed to be machined for the 3.42s to work, which makes it a problem to swap the 3.73s back. Also, he made the claim that 3.08s are available and require no modification to work in an 04 model, but with the carrier machined, they now will not work. If this is the case, I would have gone with 3.08s in the first place.

Any advice? Is the info I am recieving from him credible? Is a new carrier expensive? I really don't want to be in this battle over Christmas, but oh well. Just about ready to sell my pickups and drive the car for a while!
Oh my God.... You had just the rear ratio changed? I sure as heck wouldn't run that truck in four wheel drive until you either have both front and rear ratios the same or you want to tear your driveline apart.

It's not April 1st, so this can't be an April Fool's joke, but your truck is now a 2 wheel drive, and I'd tell the shop they need to return it to its original condition immediately, then contact your attorney.

Unbelievable what I read on these forums.... Just unbelievable....
Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
sounds like your fitna be differential shopping
Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah, they keep insisting that to their knowledge I had agreed to only have the rear changed, which is untrue! Some local farmers did it that way, but they did not drive on any sort of hard surface, and were probably driving a rez rig, not a low mileage late model!

For some reason I decided to pull the thing into 4X4 going 10 mph down the street, and Im glad now that I did. At a higher speed, parts could have gone flying! The gears were changed a while ago, but I did not use the 4X4 very much or on hard ground.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Communication - amazing

Some people go to 4 year colleges to receive a communication degree.

I am amazed that the shop and the truck owner were on different pages. Does one not look at the bill when payment is due?

If the shop charged you the $350 for the gears and $300 to $500 to install - did you really think that was for front and rear?

Only one supplier has the 3:42 therefore it is pretty easy to know the cost of the parts. As far as machining, I am pretty sure that machining is not necessary. Call the mfg for the 3:42 and get your answer straight from the source. Regarding 3:08s, I was not aware that those are available and can not in my wildest dream understand why one would want 3:08s - unless you have 235 / 50 series, your mpg will be worse than stock. Trucks are not efficent when they are lugged - been there, done that. 1700 to 1900 rpm is the sweet range. 1500 is great if you live on I80 in colorado / nebraska where the roads are perfectly flat.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
that tall of gears and low RPM's = High EGT's. I have that problem with mine if I am doing around 55mph, am below 1500 at that point.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:48 PM

nvr-enuf has the right and only answer to your issue. The machine shop doesnt necessarilly have to tell you 100% of the truth since there are so many variables to what you need or want. I worked in a gear shop for a few years and unfortunately some are shady. Go over their head and get your facts before you talk to them again.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the history here? Did you get an estimate to do the gears and accepted, then they did only one? Was it verbal or written?

If you did, was the price in line with the work? A gear change should be about $800-1000 per axle including labour.

If you just had them do it without a quote then you only paid for one. Then why not just get the other done? (I expect you don't really want to use them again).

Maybe I'm missing something. I understand they should do both on a 4x4 but look at it the other way too. Another customer may be choked that they did both and refuse to pay for the second.

Maybe with some more info.....?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:54 PM

A 4x4 HAS to have matching differentials. Unless the front drive shaft is removed, then it wouldn't really be a 4x4 anymore though....

Sure everything should be in writing but lots of times it isn't. Even so, the jury is going to be on your side, because no professional would ever put mismatched gear sets in a 4x4. And I wouldn't want this shop touching my Red Ryder wagon, let alone my truck.

I'd be so mad I'd go bust some knees. If you need help, you can hire a crack head for about $200 that will do anything you need done. These guys robbed you, plain and simple. You were taken, bent over, screwed and robbed. If you're not mad you're not thinking hard enough about what happened to you.

Now go get the damages paid for tiger!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Anyway, in the midst of our conflict over the deal and how to settle it, the shop manager had mentioned that the carrier needed to be machined for the 3.42s to work, which makes it a problem to swap the 3.73s back.
I am officially calling BS on this statement. I see nowhere there is a different case for 3.42 gears, especially from 3.73's.

I would force him to show me the receipt for the machine work, telling me how much material was removed. I would also tell him AAM will be interested in knowing that tidbit as well, because they seem to be able to set up 3.42 and 3.73 axles with the same carrier.

I would be interested in finding out where he found 3.08's for the 11.5, cause I sure can't.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I am officially calling BS on this statement. I see nowhere there is a different case for 3.42 gears, especially from 3.73's.

I would force him to show me the receipt for the machine work, telling me how much material was removed. I would also tell him AAM will be interested in knowing that tidbit as well, because they seem to be able to set up 3.42 and 3.73 axles with the same carrier.

I would be interested in finding out where he found 3.08's for the 11.5, cause I sure can't.
Heck, pull open the cover and have them show you where they machined... Then shoot them in the knees!!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 PM

You know "Long Lake", i couldn't have agreed with you more

What i don't get is, why are so many of these incompetent disgraces still in business ?
Should all be put in front a firing squad

Originally Posted by Lost Lake

I'd be so mad I'd go bust some knees. If you need help, you can hire a crack head for about $200 that will do anything you need done. These guys robbed you, plain and simple. You were taken, bent over, screwed and robbed. If you're not mad you're not thinking hard enough about what happened to you.

Now go get the damages paid for tiger!!!
On a separate note: I wanted to have the Gear Vendors over drive unit to have lower RPM's at higher speeds but because of the cost and i hardly tow, i was thinking more about gear swapping in the near future. Have 3.73's now, thinking 3.55's or 3.42's. 3.08's (if they exist) is too much lugging for the motor, i suppose.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Heck, pull open the cover and have them show you where they machined... Then shoot them in the knees!!
If you shoot them in the knees, they'll be back to work in a few months and ruin more
It's more like, "in between the eye *****"
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Thanks for the help, everyone! Its technical advice that I am looking for, but if anyone can give me more help regarding this, I would appreciate it. I might have to start by going to the better business bureau if they cannot give me a deal that I want. It might be good to talk to AAM and get some facts.

I have also heard that there is no such thing as a 3.08 axle ratio for these axles, but the shop foreman claims that they are available. I find it hard to believe what he says.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:16 PM

I realize that mistakes were made on my part, I don't need to hear about it from some know it all. When a shop has as good a reputation as this one and it was recommended by others, this nonsense is not expected.

Everyone else, thanks for the help! Its technical advice that I am looking for, but if anyone can give me more help regarding this, I would appreciate it. I might have to start by going to the better business bureau if they cannot give me a deal that I want. It might be good to talk to AAM and get some facts.

I have also heard that there is no such thing as a 3.08 axle ratio for these axles, but the shop foreman claims that they are available. I find it hard to believe what he says.
Well I hope you aren't crying that I hurt your feelings... I don't see anything you did wrong so I'm not blasting you. But you were screwed so it's time to man up and protect yourself. Don't let these crooks take advantage of you!

And just because a place is recommended I wouldn't put my unbiased faith in them! Obviously your situation shows you that....

And hey LeaperV12, do you have bigger tires yet? Going from stock to 33" is a change just like changing gears to 3.55's. I just put on 34" Nitto's and calculate I'm running 93.5% of stock (614 revs per mile vs 657) while the difference of going from 3.73 to 3.55 gears is 95% of stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about gear ratio swap gone WRONG