3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Proper way to flush A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper way to flush A/C

A couple of months back while on the road my a/c compressor went so had to have replaced. Since it was cold at the time and I needed to get back on the road went ahead just had them install compressor and leave unplugged without flushing sytem.

Well now its getting hot and would love start running the a/c again. Just need to now whats the proper way of flushing the system. One other thing when the compressor went out and before I was not using the a/c just the clutch went out. So since I was not running the a/c during or before would there be a chance any of the metal shaving got in the system?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 PM

I repaired an A/C system on an 1996 Isuzu Rodeo (134a) where a compressor went bad, and I had to disconnect all of the lines and flush them out with an A/C flush solution. There is a special tool that looks like a CO2 cylinder with a short hose attached to it that is used for flushing the lines. You fill the cylinder with flushing solution then pressurize the cylinder with compressed air. The compressed air forces the flushing solution through the lines to remove the dirt and metal shavings. After you flush your lines cap them so moisture and dirt cannot get in.

In addition to the compressor, I also had to replace the o-rings, condenser, dryer, and expansion valve. Since the refrigerant has to travel through the expansion valve before it gets to the evaporator, flushing the evaporator was supposedly not necessary, but I did it anyway just to be safe.

Make sure that you add the correct oil in the correct amounts to the parts you replace. Some compressors come filled with oil and others do not. So make sure that your check it, drain it, and fill it with the right amount.

Install all of the parts except the dryer. When you are ready to have the system charged, install the dryer and vaccuum the system for at least an hour or longer to remove all of the moisture.

If it holds vaccuum OK then you can put the refrigerant charge into the system. I am sure the A/C shop will be taking over at this point anyway so you should be good to go from there.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Being though that the A/C wasn't running at the time or long before the compressor went being that it was in the dead of winter. Could any of the metal shaving's got in the system?

We were able today to flush the condensor and didn't see any signs of metal.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Since the clutch just went out I see no need to flush the system. If the compressor had shelled out, that is when you flush the system. Just have it recovered, vaccumed and let sit for 30 min to ensure no leaks, and then recharge. You should be fine.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM

Thanks, thats what I was thinking just wanted to make sure.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 AM

I would probably flush the system anyway if the compressor went out. If you used the defrosters, that will cause the A/C system to operate and circulate all of the metal shavings through the system.

If all that went bad was the clutch that operates the compressor and not the compressor itself, then flushing the system will not be necessary.