3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Problem with my 48RE - Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with my 48RE - Help

Let me start with my truck info. 2004.5 3500 5.9, 4x4, SRW with 87,000 miles.

I have had zero issues with my 48RE, it shifted fine and was real smooth.

It still is running fine EXCEPT, now when I come to a stop I get a little surge...like when you first put it in drive. If I put it in nutral befor stopping I don't have the issue, so I feel confident it is related to the 48RE.

So my questions are

1. Has anybody seen or had this issue...if so what fixed it.
2. I scheduled the truck to have the fluid changed (complete change), filters replaced and the bands adjusted. If I am having no other issues should I do this?
3. Is there a down side to flushing the fluids?

Any help on this would be appreciated!!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to the DTR! I have the same truck... imagine that!

Do you have a programmer on it?

Fill your sig out... go to user CP on the left side of the page, then click edit sig.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks! I got my sig filled out
Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Ok, no programmer... I'm not a tranny guy... so I can't tell you if it could be a VB or line pressure...

Are you throwing any codes? Do you know how to do the key cycle to check for them?

Normally, when I hear surging, I think rail pressure... but you don't have a box or anything...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 PM

I have had the check eng light go on and off a few times in the past week.

I don't know how to check the codes...is it easy?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Cycle your key on/off three times quickly(just to run, dont start it), and hold the last time, should display your trouble codes, then post them up (or ill try to find that link to a list of codes)
Might help narrowing it down, but I cant say for sure either, I dont know much about the autos either...

Here you go...

http://wiki.dieseltruckresource.com/wiki/Computer_codes
Old 11-05-2008, 08:00 PM

Great....I will get the code/codes and post them.

Thanks for the help
Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phatboy
Let me start with my truck info. 2004.5 3500 5.9, 4x4, SRW with 87,000 miles.

I have had zero issues with my 48RE, it shifted fine and was real smooth.

It still is running fine EXCEPT, now when I come to a stop I get a little surge...like when you first put it in drive. If I put it in nutral befor stopping I don't have the issue, so I feel confident it is related to the 48RE.

So my questions are

1. Has anybody seen or had this issue...if so what fixed it.
2. I scheduled the truck to have the fluid changed (complete change), filters replaced and the bands adjusted. If I am having no other issues should I do this?
3. Is there a down side to flushing the fluids?

Any help on this would be appreciated!!
Make them change the filter. Most say it isn't neccessary, well, it is.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I don't like tranny flushes, to be honest. Drop the pain... er... pan, and make sure the filter is changed...
Old 11-06-2008, 04:01 AM

Is there somthing that could potentialy go bad from having your tranny flushed?

In the past I felt the same way but it seem that it is common pratice to flush the tranny these days
Old 11-06-2008, 04:24 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

From what I understand, they just reverse the fluid flow, pushing the fluid back through the filter, so that it knocks out all the garbage that was in there before... so 50k worth of crap goes flowing through your trans all at once. Who knows what kind of shape your filter is in, and what kind of shavings/pieces are in the bottom of the pan. Sometimes, you can head off expensive repairs from seeing whats in the bottom of the pan.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:45 AM

So maybe I am confused, I am having the dealer drop the pan, change the filters, and adjust the bands. I was assuming they where going to "flush" the fluid because that is when they said. I will be dropping the truck off in an hour so I will make sure they don't flush the fluid with the old filter in the tranny.

I did check my error codes and I had two

P1756 Governor Pressure Not Equal To Target @ 35-40psi
P0514 BAT Temperature Sensor Rationality

I am not sure if either has to do with the problem I am having.

One quick question...how long do the codes stay in the system?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by phatboy
So maybe I am confused, I am having the dealer drop the pan, change the filters, and adjust the bands. I was assuming they where going to "flush" the fluid because that is when they said. I will be dropping the truck off in an hour so I will make sure they don't flush the fluid with the old filter in the tranny.

I did check my error codes and I had two

P1756 Governor Pressure Not Equal To Target @ 35-40psi
P0514 BAT Temperature Sensor Rationality

I am not sure if either has to do with the problem I am having.

One quick question...how long do the codes stay in the system?

Might be the governor pressure solenoid, but I dont want to suggest something and have you throwing parts at it

Under light throttle from first thru third do you get the 1-2-1-2 shuttle shift?

The BAT temp fault code I think is outside temp related, search on here for the 0514 code and see what comes up, but I think it was that one, where the outside temp probe isnt matching what the IAT probe is reading and throws a code, mine does it from time to time in the winter, there is a dealer fix(reflash)

EDIT: here you go
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ight=0514+code

As for the trans flush, I would, if you havent serviced it yet in the 87k miles. If you can do it at home, youll save some money, but just change the filter, fluid then flush the trans.

Im pretty sure the dealership is talking about flushing all the fluid in the trans/cooler/lines to make sure its all fresh fluid, and not just going the cheap route and cleaning/reusing the filter, it is their business to push work and make money
Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 AM

its your bands....im experiencing the SAME exact problem began this past sunday. I adjusted the bands (to perfect spec!), dropped the pan, changed the filter. fluid level is EXACT. but when coming to a stop there is a noticable clunk of a downshift. considering we both just had them adjusted (im going to assume..maybe a bad idea) that they adjusted yours perfectly too....that its just the nature of the beast for our trucks after adjusted them and maybe its "normal" and will get better in time? anyone have any insight for us? Im thinking about adjusted them again....but backing each one off another 1/4 turn?
Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 PM

When I first got the truck I took it to the dealer for the engine light and they told me it was the error code 0514...they also told me they fixed it...

How do I clear the codes?

I got called in to work today so maybe I dodged (no pun intended) a bullet ($$$), I was unable to make my appointment at the dealer. I think based on all the great feedback and some searching on the fourm I will change the fluids and filter myself.
If the problem does not go away I will adjust the bands...I am hesitant to do it now because other then the surge the tranny runs great.

I see that adding a drain plug is a good idea, do they need to be welded on or do you just drill a hole and they seal with gaskets?

Quick Reply: Problem with my 48RE - Help