3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power upgrade comments for the 2006 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power upgrade comments for the 2006 CTD

I have about 3000 miles on my 2500 megacab ctd. I'm thinking about putting just guages on first then adding hp's. I went to the local diesel shop and they suggested me going ahead with the Edge juice w/ attitude. The said if I want to leave it stock for now just leave it on 0 and then turn it up when I want. They said this was much smarter than me putting guages (autometer or whatever) on and then coming back with a box/controller in the future.
I want to know what you guys think? Should I just go w/ mechanical guages for now or should I get some type of monitor that I can add the modules to in the future. I've also heard that the monitors (attitude, commander) do not give near as valid readings as the mechanical guages....thoughts?
Also what boxes do you guys prefer.....I pull cattle, hay, and travel trailers. My boy wants to see it smoke a little now and then. I'm not in it for the go fast but would like to add some hp's and make towing a bit easier.....can't say i wouldn't like to show off once in a while too!!!

Thanks guys!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Sorry, newbie.....I bet this should go in the performance forum.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:15 AM

It's really up to you what kind of setup you want to put in, but I think the edge w/attitude would suit you just fine for what you want to use your truck for.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by fulldraw68
I have about 3000 miles on my 2500 megacab ctd. I'm thinking about putting just guages on first then adding hp's. I went to the local diesel shop and they suggested me going ahead with the Edge juice w/ attitude. The said if I want to leave it stock for now just leave it on 0 and then turn it up when I want. They said this was much smarter than me putting guages (autometer or whatever) on and then coming back with a box/controller in the future.
I want to know what you guys think? Should I just go w/ mechanical guages for now or should I get some type of monitor that I can add the modules to in the future. I've also heard that the monitors (attitude, commander) do not give near as valid readings as the mechanical guages....thoughts?
Also what boxes do you guys prefer.....I pull cattle, hay, and travel trailers. My boy wants to see it smoke a little now and then. I'm not in it for the go fast but would like to add some hp's and make towing a bit easier.....can't say i wouldn't like to show off once in a while too!!!

Thanks guys!
You can go either way: gauges now and a module/tuner in the future or all at once. I don't know what your shop was thinking, but I wouldn't call one way smarter than the other. As far as digital gauges not being as accurate as mechanicals, well, that's only true with some of the monitors out there. It all depends on how/where that monitor gathers it's information. The Quadzilla Commander reads directly from the sensors and gives an accurate reading. Some plug into the ECM data port and read "fooled" information resulting in inaccurate readings. Do your research before you buy and you'll discover which do what.

Everyone seems to have a preferance on modules/tuners so you're going to get a wide variety of answer here. The Smarty is really popular, powerful, and expensive! Edge, Quadzilla, Bully Dog are also popular and make good power with minimal headache. I like the smooth power my Quad module makes (although I think I have a bum connector on one of the wire harnesses, which Quadzilla is taking care of), and the Commander is just awesome.

Do your research and you'll discover which combination of gauges/module/programmer is best for you. Good luck!