3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power steering cap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good thread for people with leaking ps pumps, this is likely the issue.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
I lost my cap about 6 months ago. When I bought a new one from the dealer he told me that there had been two part number changes on it. That may signify a design change. My original cap was always a bit loose, but the new one is much tighter.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought I read that there was a different (new & upgraded) cap available, and we stopped to look for a used ManVan tonite, but my dealer only had one Part Number listed:

2106856Ac 1 $12.45

Alt #: 52106856Ac
Packaging:
Application: Cap

http://www.tuttleclickchryslerjeepdo...d-parts-55.htm
52106856-AC CAP POWER STEERING R $12.45 $9.31
Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Thank you guys for this thread! I have had 1 PS pump replaced under warranty with no explanation as to why it went out. Then just the other day I noticed a leak apparently from the steering box. Searching for answers I found this thread, and not 2 minutes earlier after checking my fluid level I thought "wow it doesn't seem like there should be pressure built up like that in there!" so I modded my cap. At first I left about 1/16" of the black plastic tabs intact but it still would not let any air pass out while blowing through it. I ended up heating a flat head nail with a torch and melting the remainder of it flush... sure enough now it will let air out, but NOT in! Crossing my fingers that this solves the PS issues for good... hopefully won't have to replace another pump or steering box!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 PM

I just bought a new cap for mine and it still builds up pressure. How can a new cap do this?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:58 PM

....I'm not even sure where my ps pump is...
Old 02-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Its been awhile to remember how Chrysler part numbers work, im sure there are other people who will corect me on this,but if i can remember right, rvery time there is a modified part the part number changes example.
52106856-AA first design.
52106856-AB second design
52106856-AC third design
On and on>
Old 02-27-2011, 08:58 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Just checked the oil level in my PS pump and noticed now that I have drilled the extra hole in the cap that the top of the PS pump is now dry for the first time since the truck was new. Was concerned that the extra hole could draw some dirt down into the pump, but there is zero evidence of any dirt on the inside of the modified cap.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by riddle family
How can a new cap do this?
Bad design and manufacturing specs. You can take it back until they give you one that releases pressure or mod the one you have.

Mine blew off, I bought a new one and it was bad out of the box.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 PM

I followed the destructions and removed the center material of the cap. Was able to blow air out but not suck any in. I didn't leave a any material, took it all the way flush to get it to work.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you all! I just did mine as well just like riddle family. Dremeled all of the center material away. Had a lot of pressure buildup, noticed when I removed the cap. And the power steering pump is dry for the first time as well. I was previously looking into a whole new steering gear because of the leakage.

This should probably be a sticky, as this was the only thing causing a spot on my garage floor. I remember reading in other posts that leakage and spots on the floor was just a normal diesel thing...........not anymore.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:16 PM

My steer cylinder was seeping before i modded my cap. A yahoo at a tire shop punched a small hole in the dust boot to show me a drop of fluid and wanted to "fix" it for me. I was ready to whup him.

After i modded the cap, I repaired the yahoo hole with black silicone and no sign of seepage since.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BlackPuff_Gone
The secret to getting it apart is to squeeze the sides 90* from the notches, and pry at (inside) the notches. I used a small flat screwdriver.

Glad it worked out for you.

Puffer
i asked my parts guy for a better cap three different ways..no joy...
I usually print out DTR webpages and take to them...but they don't like that so much..

i got fed up....and just drilled a tiny hole in mine....

might tape a piece of foam over it, or something to block stuff.

Originally Posted by EPCO
This should probably be a sticky, as this was the only thing causing a spot on my garage floor. I remember reading in other posts that leakage and spots on the floor was just a normal diesel thing...........not anymore.
prolly should

they were having a fit to replace my rack, my pump, hoses, everything...for ONLY $800....

I told the Service Writer about this cap problem, and he said it DOES NOT APPLY To your truck, we NEED to replace it TODAY.

i told him to pull the cap off, and see if it goes PPOOOFFF....he never called me back
Old 06-22-2011, 12:35 PM

So by drilling the hole has anyone noticed that the leaking stopped?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:50 PM

mine has, but obviously, that hole is not a real good solution

i will have to find some kind of filter to put on my cap, to keep dirt out. i was just fed up with the dealer, and wanted to relieve the pressure

my truck is a yard ornament until diesel fuel gets cheaper, so no big deal..yet

i will prolly glue something on top the cap

we need a pic "how to" of how to squeeze the cap apart.

Quick Reply: Power steering cap.